SOLD/EXPIRED (SOLD) old hewes -- sweet

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by beavis, Mar 28, 2008.

1. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

check this thing out

http://tampa.craigslist.org/boa/621573797.html

very affordable too

2. Captain_Shane

Captain_Shane Well-Known Member

Re: old hewes -- sweet

Thats worth buying just for nostalgia! Love to hang my 25 on that.

3. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

makes you re-think the whole who started the microskiff thing...

4. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

probably built by Bob himself in the N. Miami shop. ;)

5. deerfly

yeah, that would be Bob with a little help from Lefty Kreh and bonefish legend Bill Curtis.

6. captnron

captnron Guest

Anybody know anything about this boat? Is is a real Hewes? It's in my Back Yard. I've seen boats up here that were NOT Hewes with the Hewes decal. I'm weary.

If it's real, it would make a really nice piece for "The Skiff Shop" ;)

Any input would be appreciated.

deerfly?

7. captnron

captnron Guest

Title does not say "Hewes"

8. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

just shut up and buy it, you know you want to

9. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

call and get the hull number then PM me.

10. captnron

captnron Guest

Doesn't seem to have one on the boat or the title. ::)

Like I said ......................................

11. captnron

captnron Guest

[smiley=stfu.gif] I'm trying. ;D ;D ;D

I don't think it's a Hewes :-/

12. deerfly

Ron, from the looks of the hull I think it is legit. Around that time other skiff builders like Mitchell, yes the yard ornament I have on a trailer outside ;) used that same rounded "bathtub" hull with a hard lip for a chine right at or above the water line. You can see it more prominently in the stern view on this little Hewes. Below are a couple pic's of my Mitchell which you can see the same thing. This is another reason why I laugh at the "latest" claims on the "no hull slap" innovation. :cool: Its innovative alright, except it was first used on the initial flats boats over 40 years ago. As painful as age can be, it does have some benefits. :)

Transom views
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look Ma!, a no slap chine
    [​IMG]

I would get the serial number if its available and call HMP. I think Bob is still around too, although I don't know how you'd get a hold of him unless you stumbled into him at the Miami Boat Show. Maybe someone at HMP can get a message to him. Also, I think his daughter runs the N. Miami store too. Might be worth a call there. - eric

13. captnron

captnron Guest

Thanks Eric.

Era matches the title but the title does not have a serial number. No serial number on the boat and it's obviously been painted at least once. Cool looking skiff even if it's not a Hewes.

Value. If it's an authentic Hewes, then he may be within the correct pricing. But the motor is almost ten years old and worth maybe $500.00 leaving the hull @ $1300.00. If it's no more than a 72 "Johnson" IMHO it's a $350.00 hull. Any input?

14. deerfly

yeah, I dunno how you'd value something like that. I know I paid more for my Mitchell than I probably should have but I wanted to restore it for nostalgic purposes and didn't want to let it go like I had done once before by passing up a fixer up Challenger like Snookdaddy's.

Does the title say it was manufactured by Hewes in N. Miami? Otherwise, without serial numbers or some other way to validate its originality, I guess you have to take the hard line price with it. It might be worth making a few calls to see if anyone at Hewes can shed some light on it though. If he'll take $1200-$1300 for it you could always turn it around for even money regardless.

15. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

Inapropriate post removed.

- Forum Admin

16. captnron

captnron Guest

Again we are on the same page. He doesn't seem to know much about it and no, the title does not say "Hewes" (otherwise my keyboard would be typing on it's own ;D ;D ;D)

17. captnron

captnron Guest

[smiley=1-lmao.gif] [smiley=1-lmao.gif] [smiley=1-lmao.gif] [smiley=1-lmao.gif]

Boat just became more valuable.

18. deerfly

talk about sweet, now yer gettin' there... :cool:

sorry Ron, I missed that post on the title thing. I agree tho, its not so attractive(the boat that is :)) without some assurances on originality. I was in High School in 72 and couldn't say I remember seeing that particular hull from Hewes either. Back then Hewes was more known for Ski boats than anything else too. Of course I can't remember a lot of things from that time frame. :-?

Well, this was fun while it lasted... ::)

19. captnron

captnron Guest

I knew you were stuck on page one. [smiley=1-laugh.gif]

OK, I know you lost your train of thought but are we still talking about this boat or are we all going back to page one to hang out. ;D ;D

20. captnron

captnron Guest

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, tick, Tock

Your back on page one aren't you? ;D ;D