Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DB6EB4BB-C6E2-474F-986F-F860EB074E14.jpeg
93DC6E04-D02D-45A4-A8BD-F06CB642E33B.jpeg
16CD8CE9-F7AF-49EA-9EB6-E910A3935F23.jpeg
1C20A868-D385-4169-B0D2-3E8A8A7DE931.jpeg
A09B5F8A-CF36-49C8-A87C-A0A2B5444724.jpeg
This past week I listed my 2017 Laguna Madre on Chittum's Instagram page. I want to share this opportunity and the thinking behind it with the MicroSkiff community.

Chittum Laguna Madre 18- located in Port O'Connor, TX
- Two tone - Abalone green hull and slicks/ Tortuga green non-skid and console.
- 50 Tohatsu 4 stroke - 110 hours
****OPTIONAL POWER - Yamaha F70 w/ 80 hours- nominal up charge to be determined****
- Tunnel, carbon tunnel extension, Jack Foreman prop
- Carbon package
- Center console with 100 quart insulated carbon cooler jump seat
- 7" Simrad with NEMA network connection to outboard
- New West Marine AGM ship's battery
- New Edson steering wheel in black or titanium at buyer's option
- Boat is wired for 24 V trolling motor
- Black powder coated poling platform with step
- Tibor push pole caddy

My price is $57,790. This offer is 20% off the invoice at last year's pricing for my base boat with a new galvanized Ram-Lin trailer (buyer may upgrade trailer at their option and expense, or buy my aluminum trailer at a discount). I would sell the following additional equipment at a discount if the buyer is interested:

- Spider casting platform, black powder coated
- 24 V Minnkota I-Pilot
- 24 V Lithium Ion battery
- Carbon steering wheel
- Aluminum trailer with removable tongue

I have owned 7 or 8 skiffs in the last 11 years. This Laguna Madre is by far the best boat I've ever run or fished in TX. Poles in about 5.5 inches, runs in under 4" and jumps on plane in 6" with two 200 lb anglers, ice and fishing gear. More importantly, she sits level allowing you to pole and track into the wind with ease (this can be 1/2 the day when sight fishing). She is quiet and turns easily for fly casting. The fishing platform is very large and comfortable; Coast Guard rating - 4 passengers. She crosses the open Texas bays in big waves with authority and keeps you dry. Top speed 32 mph. One day in July I fished this boat in an intricate marsh in the morning, then went offshore for cobia in the afternoon.

Skiffs and fishing are my mid-life crisis. After family and work, I want to fish as much as possible. The reason I'm listing this boat is that I have ordered a full carbon Laguna Madre, which can deliver quickly. I believe Chittum builds the highest quality technical poling skiffs; recently bought a demo full carbon Snake Bight 12 degree for another fishery.

Pls PM me with your email address if you have serious interest. I will share my build sheet and invoices, etc.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
101 Posts
View attachment 40812 View attachment 40814 View attachment 40816 View attachment 40818 View attachment 40820 This past week I listed my 2017 Laguna Madre on Chittum's Instagram page. I want to share this opportunity and the thinking behind it with the MicroSkiff community.

Chittum Laguna Madre 18- located in Port O'Connor, TX
- Two tone - Abalone green hull and slicks/ Tortuga green non-skid and console.
- 50 Tohatsu 4 stroke - 110 hours
- Tunnel, carbon tunnel extension, Jack Foreman prop
- Carbon package
- Center console with 100 quart insulated carbon cooler jump seat
- 7" Simrad EVO
- New West Marine AGM ship's battery
- New Edson steering wheel in black or titanium at buyer's option
- Boat is wired for 24 V trolling motor
- Black powder coated poling platform with step

My price is $57,790. This offer is 20% off the invoice at last year's pricing for my base boat with a new galvanized Ram-Lin trailer (buyer may upgrade trailer at their option and expense, or buy my aluminum trailer at a discount). I would sell the following additional equipment at a discount if the buyer is interested:

- Spider casting platform, black powder coated
- 24 V Minnkota I-Pilot
- 24 V Lithium Ion battery
- Carbon steering wheel
- Aluminum trailer with removable tongue

I have owned 7 or 8 skiffs in the last 11 years. This Laguna Madre is by far the best boat I've ever run or fished in TX. Poles in about 5.5 inches, runs in under 4" and jumps on plane in 6" with two 200 lb anglers, ice and fishing gear. More importantly, she sits level allowing you to pole and track into the wind with ease (this can be 1/2 the day when sight fishing). She is quiet and turns easily for fly casting. The fishing platform is very large and comfortable; Coast Guard rating - 4 passengers. She crosses the open Texas bays in big waves with authority and keeps you dry. Top speed 32 mph. One day in July I fished this boat in an intricate marsh in the morning, then went offshore for cobia in the afternoon.

Skiffs and fishing are my mid-life crisis. After family and work, I want to fish as much as possible. The reason I'm listing this boat is that I have ordered a full carbon Laguna Madre, which will deliver in under a month. I believe Chittum builds the highest quality technical poling skiffs; recently bought a demo full carbon Snake Bight 12 degree for another fishery.

Will post photos and the link to my reports on this boat.

Pls PM me with your email address if you have serious interest. I will share my build sheet and invoices, etc.
another first class ride.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have purchased a few flyrods from Steve and they arrived just as he had described them so whatever is in his description of this boat is what you will definitely get no bs from him stand up guy.
I should’ve mentioned that I have had the same, great experience in dealing with Steve. I also have extensive experience with Chittum skiffs and there is nothing like it for what it is designed to do.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@MariettaMike . Prefer that my ad not be a HB vs Chittum discussion. I stand behind everything I stated.

Chittum is not very well understood. The hull I have listed is # 31. The carbon Laguna Madre on order is # 75. Probably a 3rd of the production in that span has come to TX. Chittum field tests in TX— the only FL builder I am aware of that does so. The capability of the Laguna Madre in TX is a big deal. You would not see so many TX guides signing up otherwise. Just this week, there was another MS guy from TX looking to buy a New Water Curlew or Ibis to run with his family and keep a FL microskiff for fishing —- to me the Laguna Madre covers all of that ground.

Am I ate up and crazy to be trading in after 1 year— yes. Someone will capitalize on that opportunity.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well, damn! Wish I didn't love my skiff so much - this is a helluva deal. Let me know when we are going fishing on the new one!

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can see this video: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm5_b4KnOvm/?taken-by=chittum_skiffs (Aug 25 posting on Chittum's Instagram page) you will better understand the shallow running capabilities of the LM, in this case, Capt. Eric Glass's boat.

After running 4" for over a mile, they got their prey: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm5_4vyAL2b/?taken-by=chittum_skiffs

255FD5A1-E59C-4A25-8AC6-B0044B45C5F2.jpeg

The above is an example of running open flats in super shallow water. By the same token, the Laguna Madre planes at 14 mph; lot's of control at a slow speed. It turns running the same way it poles, you can do a near 360 on a dime. I've run the LM up serpentine creeks to get to back country that I never would have reached before.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That’s an impressive video. Looks like the long sought after unicorn:)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
How fast does yours run with the 50? What motor is going on your new skiff?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imagine what one can find on the internet... nice video... Dang, nice trout.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i did the video and can attest to stevie's thoughts. I also am a hair club member. great boat. glad i know someone with as bad a boat fetish as myself. cheers
I’d like to meet you as my boat fetish is about as bad:)

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How fast does yours run with the 50? What motor is going on your new skiff?
Hey Matt, have seen 33-34 mph downwind with a tide behind me with the Tohatsu 50. Generally would say low 30's. About to install the carbon tunnel extension, which will optimize the boat with more water flow to prop, so hope to pick up another 1-2 mph. I'm also running the biggest possible diameter prop for the Tohatsu 50 from Jack Foreman. I have a slightly smaller prop, which Jack originally made for the Suzuki 60 hp on a Beavertail-- that prop gets me a bit more top end.

The new boat will have a Tohatsu 50 hp as well. At 209 lbs, it has the best weight to power ratio. And, the short shaft is ideal for the Laguna Madre. Keeps the poling platform from being too high or having to mount it forward.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts