Solar Panels charger for batteries?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by whitesnooky, Feb 1, 2008.

1. whitesnooky

whitesnooky Guest

I'm looking for a solar panals charger while I'm on the water.

I'm looking for a solar panel kit for 2 batteries........one for 07' Merc 60 4-stroke EFI and trolling motor, radio cd player, VHS radio, GPS chart plotter/depth finder and a powerpole.

I want to charge the batteries while the motor is off.

While on I'm on the water, I used a lot of batteries all day and end up my motor won't crank due high AMP crank on 60 hp EFI 4-stroke.

Anybody can help me out there??

Where I can get one?

Website??

Thank you.

2. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

not sure if this is what your looking for but its a start

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?searchOption=products&hvarSearchString=solar+panel&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO

3. ucfsae81

ucfsae81 Well-Known Member

check out burton too i know they make foldable solar panels that are strong enough for a laptop and stuff

4. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

The ones i use for setting up mirowave tranmitter and recvers for security camera sys on radio towers.

I put 2 group 27's in the can and the will run the units for ever. But i would have to check on current draw and what not. snooky PM me on what batteries you using and i can probly build something for you.

5. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Whitesnook,

Went to the Florida Sportsman Show in Ft Myers Sunday and talked with a man named Patrick he makes and sells all kinds of neet stuff for yak fishing one thing was a solor charger. You need to pm weedy and get this guys number.

MATT

6. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Calculate how many amp you pull then you need the add 50% this will tell you how large of a solar panel you need.

The problem is the size you need to charge a battery would be enormous. Most panels put out a very low amperage, 135mA to 1.2A. In a "typical" day on the water your only putting back may be 6ah @ 18 watts over a 5 hour period Thus you are only replenishing a total of 30+ amps back to the battery. And this with a large 40" X 14" panel. Your best bet is to invest is a good quality deep cycle battery and a good quality 3 phase deep cycle charger.

Just my .02

Cheers
    Jan

7. JoeWelbourn

JoeWelbourn "The Flats Solicitor"

Here is Patrick's number.  They are my shop neighbors.  I lease my shop from Paul.  Patrick's partner in No Distractions Kayaks. 813.414.9279.  Good guys and all kinds of gadgets for kayaks.  I am prototyping a carbon fiber platform Patrick will use on kayaks.

Joe

8. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

Man! cut a brothers throat trying to make a buck. Take food from the my kids mouths. You guys kill me!

9. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Jan, I think you are very close to being correct with that amp stuff and recharging the battery. The thing is, If you are on the water and have been working your battery hard most of the day and fishing is just getting better. How would you like to get one or even two extra hours out of your trolling motor and check around one more bend for the last Snook of the day.

This in my mind is the reson to think about some type of solar panels to add to your fishing time or even help keep your battery up on two and three day trips to chco or enp. Not looking to re-charge just add to the life durring a trip.

10. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

IB, If you have solar panels and the knolage to set us stright on this just say so. I am always up for learning from this form and keeping the $$ with in our group. One of the biggest problem I have is I don't take hints very well.

11. iMacattack

A post requesting comments will garner opinions from every part of the solution spectrum.

12. whitesnooky

whitesnooky Guest

I had a 2 AGM batteries and plm is how can I charge it while I'm on a 5 days excursion fishing trip on the boat? Without electricly? I know my 60efi will charge only for cranking battery but not a trolling motor battery......you all think I can run a wire from cranking battery to trolling motor battery to run 24 volts?

Fuhhhh......I just bring teh generator and a battery charger in just a case. That'll solve it for 5 days excursion trip....more batteries I guess.

13. iMacattack

http://www.semarine.com/trolling/stealth.shtml

The STEALTH DC is versatile in covering a wide area of applications. The double output can be set for 24/36 VDC circuits.

STEALTH DC will charge the following systems.

OPTION 1: Two (2) 12 volt DC batteries, output 20A max. (24VDC trolling system)

OPTION 2: Three (3) 12 volt DC batteries, output 13A max. (36VDC trolling system)

OPTION 3: Two (2) 12 volt DC batteries, output 30A max. (2 independent 12VDC systems with CG*)

OPTION 4: Four (4) 12 volt DC batteries, output 20A max. (2 independent 24VDC systems with CG*) (Specify 12 volt output)

OPTION 5: Six (6) 12 volt DC batteries, output 13A max. (2 independent 36VDC systems with CG*)
    * (CG = Common Ground)

For trolling applications 24/36 VDC is possible use “cranking” battery in series with one (1) trolling battery for 24VDC system, with two (2) trolling batteries for 36VDC. However, we strongly advice monitoring device for cranking battery. Due to running of trolling motor, this battery can be depleted under level necessary for starting engine. Also, all devices on the boat, which are in direct contact with water or outboard/inboard engine, MUST be powered from cranking battery. The diagram for this circuit is in section “MANUAL”.
    Charger is supplied with all cables, breakers, and mounting hardware necessary for installation in bass boat. All cables are approved for salt water (tinned copper) gauge #10, o-ring terminals on cables (charger side) are gold plated. Terminal nuts on charger are silicon-bronze for better resistance to oxidation.

This article is mainly about trolling systems, because our technical staff is familiar with fishing industry. However, the STEALTH 1 has endless application possibilities on RVs, houseboats, yachts or golf carts utilizing solar energy and/or energy from engine’s alternator. Whenever you need charge quickly, efficiently and safely multiple numbers of batteries, regardless of the system voltage, the STEALTH 1 is the answer. For 12 volt to 12 volt system specify Stealth 12 volt output.

After taking your foot off the trolling control pedal, the trolling batteries have a tendency increase their voltage level just because you removed the load. This phenomenon happens every time regardless how deep the batteries are discharged. We call this occurrence RECOVERY. How high and how fast the voltage will “jump up” depends on the condition of the trolling batteries' internal impedance.

Additional charging current supplied through the STEALTH 1 supports this RECOVERY, and can result in a 20A charging current in a 24VDC trolling system. That's almost 0.5KW of power!

FAQ's

How long do I have to run my outboard engine to keep my trolling batteries charged?

Answer: Everything depends on how the trolling motor is run and the prevailing conditions (wind, current, trolling time, etc.). If your alternator is able deliver 40A to the STEALTH 1, recovery should result in 30 minutes or less. However, when you are trolling hard and continuously for a long time under extreme prevailing conditions, it may take longer for the trolling batteries to recover their full charge.

It's a simple equation - if your resources (engine/alternator) are limited, extreme stress has been applied to the system and available charging time is short, charge recovery will take longer!

If my trolling batteries are discharged, can I overload alternator when I started engine?

Answer: NO. Your cranking battery is the only load your engine's alternator sees. The STEALTH 1 is designed to step in only when your cranking battery is above 13.0VDC. From that point the alternator may deliver full current if the trolling system needs it, but the cranking battery voltage must stay above 13.0VDC for the STEALTH 1 to work. This feature
    also preserves sufficient cranking energy for starting the engine.

14. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

ok, but what if you only have one battery.(k.i.s.s.)

15. iMacattack

1 battery and no charging system? Still not going to get a lot of charge out of Solar alone. Thus the reason sailing folks use 3 or more independent systems to charge their batteries.

16. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Contact "Funnel" on the Gheenoe Forum, he has a flexable roll up panel for his boat. It was like 250.00 and worked great. He fishis with his trolling motor all the time and never has any problems with his battery.
    Weedy

17. Ron_W.

Ron_W. Well-Known Member

This question has come up several times on different forums. The short answer is it's not very pratical. I haven't done the math lately but you really need 6 amps or better output to charge a deep cycle battery. Most of the common solar chargers you see put out Milli amps of power with the larger units maxing at maybe 2 amps and costing several hundred dollars. To get good chargeing power you would need something like a 4x8 sheet of plywood sized cell costing somewhere around 1000 dollars. Technology moves foward and effiecency and cost improve but it's not practical yet. What you see advertised is intended to maintain a charged battery that will sit unused for a long period, it's good for that but will not charge up a dead battery.

18. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

I run two group 27s in my boat, one is the cranking battery and the other for the trolling motor. When the trolling motor starts to weaken, I swap the batteries around and run off the battery that was tied to the outboard. Like I said before, "Funnel" has a cool charging/maintaining system on his classic. It rolls up and out of the way when not in use, then he just urolls it on to the rear deck of his boat when he needs it. We spent 4 days down in the glades and he is a heavy foot control trolling motor type (Bass fisherman) user and he didn't have any problems. I will try and get him to post some pics and a parts break down of his solar set up.
    Weedy