5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The engine is has a Johnson serial number but Suzuki cowling and lower
James I'll PM my number and we can talk tomorrow

Reactions: JC Designs

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I bet it still has the Johnson controls and ignition harness. The Johnson 4strokes were Zukes with a harness adaptor and different shift/throttle attachments.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I bet it still has the Johnson controls and ignition harness. The Johnson 4strokes were Zukes with a harness adaptor and different shift/throttle attachments.
Great...I bought the engine in FL and my mechanic installed it. So what ever came with the engine is what he used

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I looked up heat shrink with solder connectors today. Talking to JC tomorrow. First thing I'm going to do is get that nav light working then take my time to get a plan together

·
Registered
55 Posts
Frequently with a tangle like that, start pulling the excess slack out of the wires while separating them and it becomes much easier to see what you've got. The wiring diagram remains a good idea, as does the idea of leving 6" excess on each wire. If JC is going to work with you on it, all this will be moot..

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail Skiffs B2
104 Posts
Read my thread, just rewired my entire skiff. 2007 B2. Pretty sure you were commenting back and forth on there. PM me if you have qs about how I did anything. I have a ton of pics and details.
GL

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is a rats nest for sure. When it's all said and done, you'll know your wiring system inside and out. After I was done with mine, I re-did the wiring diagram so I had a good clean copy with color coding to match, laminated it and keep a copy in the a garage cabinet with other boat related docs. Can always reference it later if/as needed. Receiving plenty of good tips/assistance, good luck.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
That is a rats nest for sure. When it's all said and done, you'll know your wiring system inside and out. After I was done with mine, I re-did the wiring diagram so I had a good clean copy with color coding to match, laminated it and keep a copy in the a garage cabinet with other boat related docs. Can always reference it later if/as needed. Receiving plenty of good tips/assistance, good luck.
Thank you,
I have my diagram in my head starting with the buse. First I'm pulling the nav light wire while pulling a new tinned duplex through. Fix that first then go fishing

Reactions: JC Designs

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am just getting into my wiring. Ugh . It sucks. Bundles of wires going nowhere. I need to figure this out or pay a pro but damn expensive
Expensive because it's worth it!
I just got through rewiring my Carolina Skiff this summer. It is time consuming and expensive if you use quality material, but worth every dime.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I am just getting into my wiring. Ugh . It sucks. Bundles of wires going nowhere. I need to figure this out or pay a pro but damn expensive
Bring it on over brother! I’ll hook ya up!🤙🏻

Reactions: Kevin Booker

·
Registered
248 Posts
I might take you up on that. It is tight in there. There are wires everywhere. They left a lot of old wire in there and just capped it. So now I need to verify and pull those out. I bought the Togglers for the console and rebuilt the steering helm that was on the new console but the wiring is not my thing. I’m good mechanically and with technology but I’ve never dealt with electricity. I’ve seen enough burned out hulls to know I can’t wing it. Watched one burn down to the waterline last year in St. Augustine.

·
Brandon, FL
9,905 Posts
I might take you up on that. It is tight in there. There are wires everywhere. They left a lot of old wire in there and just capped it. So now I need to verify and pull those out. I bought the Togglers for the console and rebuilt the steering helm that was on the new console but the wiring is not my thing. I’m good mechanically and with technology but I’ve never dealt with electricity. I’ve seen enough burned out hulls to know I can’t wing it. Watched one burn down to the waterline last year in St. Augustine.
Bring it over Kevin, I'll help you and @Megalops can watch us work while drinking beer.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I feel your pain😆

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bring it over Kevin, I'll help you and @Megalops can watch us work while drinking beer.
When I get time I need to take you guys up on that. As easy(expensive though) as it is to have it done. I’d much rather do myself so I know what wires go where to head off future problems. So need:
12-14g tinned marine
Ankor duplex
Butt splices
Terminal connectors
Di-electric grease
I have 2 newer (blue sea?) fused busses
Drinks(to order)

it’s the time to do it since I am changing the Console

on a side note, would it look bad if I Painted the console instead of gel coated it like the boat? I don’t really have a way to gel the console myself and color matchIng sucks. Thinking about putting seadek/lamdek on the floor maybe a little on top but not fully so it would not be right next to Gelcoat.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts