Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,195 Posts
There was a guy visiting his sister, my neighbor, and he had a box trailer behind his car that held his skiff and had sleeping room for 2 and a cooktop. Neatest thing I ever saw
Would love to see pics of something like this...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,283 Posts
Would love to see pics of something like this...
I’d take a picture but he hasn’t come back. I’ll try to find out what happened next time I talk to his sister

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,283 Posts
I want to see him back that thing into a parking space

Reactions: m32825

·
Registered
‘07 B2
28 Posts
I want to see him back that thing into a parking space
I drove a 48’ Prevost for several years and that trailer is not too difficult to backup. It’s the short trailers that are hard - Can’t see them in your mirrors until they are turning out from behind the bus. This guy has an awesome setup IMO.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,283 Posts
I don't have any problem backing mine up either at a boat ramp or a gas station. BUT my drive way is another story. My driveway is long and curvy I start backing it up from the street with the steering going left them once in the driveway I have to turn back to the right then avoid the brick wall on either side. This usually takes a couple of times. Then I have to straighten it out. Go past my upstairs garage and keep close to the right side going down hill to the downstairs garage. If I can keep it out of the flowers 💐 and stay on the right then I have to wip it to the right as I turn the corner. This take several runs with my wife screaming and me cussing

Reactions: Salt

·
I Love microskiff.com!
636 Posts
Not sure which laws apply in which states, but I see a lot of pickups towing 5ers with boat behind the 5er. I realize you're in a motorhome, so you might check this out - this is how I moved my car and my quad from Blythe, CA to Santa Fe, NM in 2009:

View attachment 155567

I know it's not legal in CA, but I gritted my teeth and sweated for the couple of miles I was in CA. I went past state and city cops in AZ and NM for 600 miles and didn't get stopped, tho' several of them watched me go by. Saved me a trip.
I see that kinda setup all over the west, not allowed in Florida

·
I Love microskiff.com!
498 Posts
Your comments have been very helpful, particularly these about AL boats appropriateness in SW FL. Also the low tides in the winter. I did skim over some skinny flats last March in Matlacha last March. So my thinking is evolving which makes me feel a bit like a flake. My Pathfinder has almost everything one would want, low hours on the motor and boat, Minn Kota Terrova, Solex 12 and even MEGA 360. A friend has even offered to tow it down for basically his travel cost, and with the hordes of snowbirds here in MI pretty sure that can happen. So for this winter at least, I believe using my Pathfinder down there is best.

The one thing yet to consider is the anchor. The one I have (see image) is pretty loud, as commented by a fishing friend, and also a bit of a hassle for long runs. How important is having a power pole? And how long of one around Everglades City and Pine Island? With a Power Pole I would take the wench off.

View attachment 155846 Thank you all!!!

View attachment 155846
Get rid of that anchor mess if you wanna catch something decent in our area. Way too much noise. If you don't want a power pole, just get a stick it pin. You need a trolling motor or a push pole to get into your fishing spot. If you run your engine, TOO MUCH NOISE.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts