Sniper lines for Redfish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by BGBrown311, Nov 13, 2017.

1. BGBrown311

BGBrown311 Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a new 8wgt and have narrowed it down to a Thomas & Thomas. They have two models that I am looking at, the Exocett 9' and the Exocett SS which is 8'8. The Exocett 8'8" rod is designed for throwing a floating sniper line or sinking lines. Living in the NorthEast and fishing for Albies and Striped Bass this seems like a good choice. My question is, while traveling is a sniper line going to be ok fishing for Redfish and Snook and baby Tarpon?

2. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Which sniper line?

Remember, some of those Sniper lines are the Fourty plus, floating, int & sinking.

squeezer1 likes this.

3. sevenweight

sevenweight Well-Known Member

Wonder why they refer to that line as a “long front taper” line when, according to the taper chart, it only has a 6 inch front taper?(!) Orvis Bank Shot is based on the same short head concept but also has a pretty generous (6 foot) front taper. Overall head length is about the same. Bank shot works great for redfish in my location. Check the temperature range for which the line is designed ... that’s the only gotcha I see.

4. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

The bomb. Currently has sa bonefish 9wt amplitude. It’s the same weight as Airflo 8wt bonefish line, but I prefer the taper of sa. Perfect combo for 30’-70’ all day. The grand slam also performs very well. I’ve been wanting to try Cortland flats taper on it. I can tell you the guide taper doesn’t match well with it. You won’t be disappointed with that stick. She feels so good in your hands and has just the right Rythem. 5B1E64FA-1848-48A5-B0A5-6E6BC5993700.jpeg

5. Rick hambric

Dale Perez uses rio bonefish on his. If you’re not using an intermediate line I’d definitely go with the 9 footer.

6. BGBrown311

This is where I'm struggling. I know that on Long Island where I will be fishing most of the time, an intermediate line is probably the best. However, I enjoy throwing poppers or gurglers. I also would like to use the rod while traveling. Rick, have you thrown an intermediate line on the 9' rod? What areyour thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  7. Rick hambric

No. I’ve spoken with joe Goodspeed (the designer for t&t) quite a bit over the past few months. The only intermediate line I own is for a 10wt and it’s been a few years since I cast it. Where I’m at there’s really no need. I typically use a 11ft leader and if I need to get that deep I’ll use a 13’ flouro leader and a heavy fly. I have cast the ss & reg models, I wish I had the $ to buy all of them as I know there’s times and places where each would excel over the other. If you are on the beaches look at their surf rod, from a boat and plan on traveling for multiple species I would definitely get the 9footer. If your in close quarters and combat fishing with musky or strippers then the ss is the way to go.

8. Rick hambric

Basically the ss will handle heavy lines better, but it isn’t as versatile bas the regular Exocett.

9. BGBrown311

Thanks for all the information. I think for my primary fishing the SS sounds like the way to go. I will be speaking with their NorthEast rep. tomorrow and most likely Joe Goodspeed later in the week. I have a feeling I will end up adding both to the arsenal over the next year.

Rick hambric likes this.
  10. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

And intermediate will work for snook and for tarpon, depending on water depth. If you are super shallow, then no. Intermediate is my line of choice for both. It gets the fly right in the eat zone.

You can still throw a popper with an intermediate line, you just need to add a little more leader. You won't get the full benefit, but you can land it by the fish and get some pops before it will sink.

For stripers, int line is the way to go. I fish int line 80% of the time for tarpon, and 90% for stripers, so that's a good line choice.

11. Austin_Boudreaux

Austin_Boudreaux I Love microskiff.com!

I would buy a second tropical floating fly line for the destination fishing. Loop to loop connections and exchangeable spools make it easy to switch lines these days. Check ebay, you can find a lot of lines discounted at 50% for previous versions ($40). The intermediate/sinking fly line would do fine if just standing on the beach casting.