Snake!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brett, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Working outside this afternoon and the new neighbor was walking her dog when she started screaming

Snake! Snake! Snake!   :eek:

We live fairly close to a canal so I figured the worst and a moccasin had wandered ashore and surprised her.
    Carrying the shovel I'd been using, I hustled over to deal with the monster.
    She'd picked up her flea taxi and was pointing at the grass at something only she could see.
    I set the shovel down, knelt and gently picked up this poor creature
    who'd been stunned into shock by the high decibel alerts.
    Haven't seen one of these in a few years, a Diadophis punctatus, also known as a ringneck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After explaining that it wasn't dangerous, and that it was a beneficial reptile,
    she took a closer look and agreed that she might have over reacted, "a little".
    After a few pictures the "monster" was released in a nearby palmetto clump.
    Welcome to Florida, where the bugs are bigger than the snakes....

;D

2. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

I woke up this morning to find a snake in my aparment :eek:. I had my back poch door open yesterday listening to the rain and I guess he was seeking higher ground. I was lucky to have my fly rod sitting in the corner grab it and work him out the front door. :) Talk about catching you off gaurd first thing in the morning.

3. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Huh, ring snakes r pretty common around here. One of my favorites, more docile than a corn snake.. Yea lol florida.. One second you can be fishin a golfcourse pond, the next you could be dragged to your death by a toothy 10 foot prehistoric lizard.. Ahh i love it here

4. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

How do you think she'd have responded to this indigo?

[​IMG]

Glad to see snakes like this are still around, with all the hogs and coyotes and hawks and people after them!

-T