Smith Glasses - Polarchromic vs Chromapop ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Barbs_deep, May 6, 2014.

1. Barbs_deep

Barbs_deep I Love microskiff.com!

I am looking at buying some Smith shades and have heard great things about their optics. That being said, what is the difference between the Chromapop and the Techlite Polarchromic ? I called Smith yesterday and got a generic explanation from the desk girl. I am looking at the Chromapop Brown or the Polarchromic Copper.

Anybody have any real world experience with either ?

2. richwalker71

richwalker71 Well-Known Member

Recently switched from Costa 580s to Chromapop Copper. The Smiths give way sharper contrast and definition. Also lighter and more comfortable for me.

3. Barbs_deep

so you have the polarchromic copper or chroma pop brown ? I guess there is a difference

4. richwalker71

richwalker71 Well-Known Member

Mine are Chromapop Bronze mirror not Copper. Sorry for the mix up.

5. Barbs_deep

No worries. Thanks for the reply. They seem to have a lot of lenses and options… trying to sort through them.

6. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

I tried both the Polarchromic and the Chromapop this weekend and the Space Coast Shootout and all I can say about the Chromapop is wow!!! The really bring out the details. I have Maui Jims and won two pair of Costa while at the way in. I am still going to get a pair of the Smith Chromapop. They're lighter more comfortable on my face and things really "pop" with them.

Oh and I don't work for Smith.

7. Barbs_deep

Which color lenses did you try and what differences did you notice over the polarchromic besides the "pop" ?

8. mikeregas

I tried the bronze mirror and I guess you could say everything was brighter, but not is a sunny way. The yellows were yellower the greens, greener and so on. I didn't get to look to far into the water but they seemed to be really nice with lots of definition.

If you can try them you will see the pop and hopefully this will make sense.

9. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

can't go wrong with the smiths

10. sotilloa1078

sotilloa1078 Well-Known Member

If I had to choose one it would be tough, but it would be between the chromapop brown or the amber polarchromic.

11. warrenpb50

warrenpb50 On the water we are all the same.

Do you know if they can make prescription lenses in the chromapop? I don't think they can in the polachromic either, just the plain glass.

12. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

Interesting - I'll have to try the Smiths. I owned 3 pairs of Smiths over the years and found their lenses to not hold up (small stress cracks over time). I have Costas now, 3 pairs of 580s. The lenses have held up well, but I've sent each pair back to get something repaired on the frames.

13. Barbs_deep

That's exactly why I'm looking at smith. Love costas lenses but since they sold out, their frames just don't hold up.

14. mikeregas

I gave up on Costa's years ago. If you're not going with Smith look at RCI and Maui Jim

15. roel02

roel02 I Love microskiff.com!

I have the polarchromic (Tenet Frames) and they are better than my Costa 580's in low light conditions. IMHO Costa are bit dark in comparison. I have the Costas with Green / Blue / Copper Lens and still aren't as bright as the Polarchromic in low light. My next pair will be the Chromapop Dover Frames. Just my .02.

16. jwarren

jwarren I Love microskiff.com!

I have some Costco RX sunglasses and they are fine but not ideal for all day fishing. Paid $220 for frames, high index lenses, polarized, non glare. I have severe astigmatism in both eyes so I can't use lenses with much curve. I

I just wear Cocoons over my RX bifocals and they're fantastic. For $40, you can't go wrong. I don't care if I look like Mr. Magoo as long as I catching more fish than my buddy. But the Cocoons aren't too large.

17. mikeregas

18. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

I quit giving Costa business for a couple reaons. They sold out to a corporation (I can't really blame them). The main reason though, is I have a hard time paying a premium price for a product made over in asia, and not italy. I've tried on the smiths, both in store and on the water, and there is a noticeable brightness to them. To me though, the frames felt kinda cheap. But, the price is a good bit cheaper. I may still buy a pair in the future, who knows.

After calling and talking with both the father and son team at RCI, I went with a pair from them. I decided to go with RCI mainly cause they're a small local business out of cocoa and seemed cool and down to earth. The lenses do cut glare slightly more than Costa's do, and the frames are solid and actually made in Italy. Along with the glasses they also sent me some swag like stickers and a shirt and gave me a discount just for being a local. I'm completely satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another pair from them, awesome company.

Please report what you think about the smiths when you decide which ones to get. I'm curious to hear what you think about them.

19. Barbs_deep

Thanks for the reply Red. I have tried on the RCIs and they didn't have a frame that fit my face very well. I am going to try the smiths because I can get them for very, very cheap.

Speaking of glasses made in Italy, Salt life makes theirs in Italy with Carl zeiss lenses. I recently got 3 pairs for free and was actually pretty happy with them while offshore. Laugh if you want, but I was really impressed. That being said I'm looking for an inshore style lense because these all had dark offshore style lenses.

20. gillz

gillz Well-Known Member

I'm ordering a pair of prescription Sunglasses in ChromaPop from and Optical Shop in N. Miami. I think I'm going to go with the Frontman Frame. I'm not sure whether the lenses material is glass or plastic though. They can be done, for less than what I thought, I might add. They do have to send off for them from Smith and it takes 10+ days. If you look up the closest dealer to you on the Smith website, just call the ones that say optical in the title and they will be able to do a prescription after you explain to them its a new lense offering by Smith ::)