Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says who do you think has the smartest most skiddest reds. My vote is Florida because I live here and have only fished for them here and in Georgia one time in Georgia you could almost get close enough to grab them by hand.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
A big redfish in the interior of the Everglades during winter can be spookier than a big bonefish... In winter all the organisms in the water die off leaving it crystal clear. Add to that shallow mudflats with no vegetation and they have a lot better eyesight than you want... as my anglers find out. Slot sized reds are much easier targets...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,517 Posts
Oak Island N C. Summertime I’ve fished many times. Never seen them tail or caught any other than rats on bait. I have seen them leave with the tide. Poled across a very large flooded grass flat last year not a fin or tail or push

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
Pine Island redfish might give you Tampa boys a run for your money. Sometimes they are spooking as you lift your arm to cast at 100 plus feet away.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pine Island redfish might give you Tampa boys a run for your money. Sometimes they are spooking as you lift your arm to cast at 100 plus feet away.
Yes sir Tim this is where I fish a lot also and the reason I started this post glad to know it's not just me. I guess whenever you are ran over all day by jetskis and Walter with his 30 foot sea ray boat he uses on Lake Michigan you get a little spooky.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Lots of specific areas are really tough, and not having fished any place in TX I can't talk to that. But for all the places I have chased redfish FL hands down and specifically Pine Island area is awful. The simple cause is just the pure number of boats running around.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've fished for them from the Mosquito Lagoon to the Lower Laguna Madre, and I think the Mosquito Lagoon beats the middle Texas Coast in winter by an eyelash, but both can be very frustrating.
I agree with the lagoon fish. I’ve fished reds from the lower keys to the Mexican boarder and up the east coast to North Carolina. The fish in the lagoon have been chased and thrown at so much they are spookier than Islamorada Shell Key bonefish.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,259 Posts
Yup. They are probably interchangeable. Just depends on which areas get the most pressure.

I've spooked reds here switching my rod tip from left to right...down low...not even a casting motion. Nothing you can do there but laugh and look for the next fish...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts