Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running the small smart tabs on a gheenoe or similar size boat?

Was thinking about picking up a set along with the retractor kit which allows you to raise them up when you are shallow or don't need the tabs with a following sea. My little project boat doesn't have electrical and I don't really want to add it.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a video showing the manual retractor bracket. Would be about $135 for tabs and bracket compared to $500+ on electric tabs plus the cost of adding a 12v electrical system Just trying to keep it simple and minimal.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
635 Posts
Look on the gheenoe forums, a lot of guys run really small fixed homemade tabs that are held in place with stainless turn buckles. I don’t think they really hold the bow down, but they help lift the stern a bit and prevent porpoising.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not sure which model you have but I had a pair of smart tabs on my LT25. They worked well as intended/designed.

Vehicle Transport Skiff Mode of transport Bass boat

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,260 Posts
Look on the gheenoe forums, a lot of guys run really small fixed homemade tabs that are held in place with stainless turn buckles. I don’t think they really hold the bow down, but they help lift the stern a bit and prevent porpoising.
If they lift the stern with the captain and the motor back there they have to put the bow down a little. On that small of a hull with low horsepower I’d imagine static or even smart tabs would kill efficiency. Getting weight forward would probably be a better option. I don’t run one and could be totally wrong but am just thinking from the physics viewpoint.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ive seen a lot of pictures of lt25s with trim tabs. I'd like to put some on my lt25 to get on plane at slower speeds. Considered a foil but would rather have tabs I can deactivate like the manual release brackets above video.

Problem I'm having is there are so many sizes and strengths.

Nauticus:
SX9510-30, SX9510-40 or SX9510-60

I dont want electric or hydraulic. I also dont like the Bennett's style.

the 3 listed above are basically the same with different strength actuators. Would 30lb or 40lb do the trick? 60 seems over kill. The "app" selector doesnt really make it clear as the type of hull gheboee lt25s are.

if I can get on plane at a slower speed, the ride would be most improved.

I dont like the foils at all. They look lame and most require drilling. I also plan to install a jack plate eventually.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ive seen a lot of pictures of lt25s with trim tabs. I'd like to put some on my lt25 to get on plane at slower speeds. Considered a foil but would rather have tabs I can deactivate like the manual release brackets above video.

Problem I'm having is there are so many sizes and strengths.

Nauticus:
SX9510-30, SX9510-40 or SX9510-60

I dont want electric or hydraulic. I also dont like the Bennett's style.

the 3 listed above are basically the same with different strength actuators. Would 30lb or 40lb do the trick? 60 seems over kill. The "app" selector doesnt really make it clear as the type of hull gheboee lt25s are.

if I can get on plane at a slower speed, the ride would be most improved.

I dont like the foils at all. They look lame and most require drilling. I also plan to install a jack plate eventually.
What about a Bob's True Tracker? They are the best looking foil I've seen, and you can paint to match your motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.