Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running the small smart tabs on a gheenoe or similar size boat?

Was thinking about picking up a set along with the retractor kit which allows you to raise them up when you are shallow or don't need the tabs with a following sea. My little project boat doesn't have electrical and I don't really want to add it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a video showing the manual retractor bracket. Would be about $135 for tabs and bracket compared to $500+ on electric tabs plus the cost of adding a 12v electrical system Just trying to keep it simple and minimal.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
Look on the gheenoe forums, a lot of guys run really small fixed homemade tabs that are held in place with stainless turn buckles. I don’t think they really hold the bow down, but they help lift the stern a bit and prevent porpoising.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not sure which model you have but I had a pair of smart tabs on my LT25. They worked well as intended/designed.

Untitled.jpg

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,264 Posts
Look on the gheenoe forums, a lot of guys run really small fixed homemade tabs that are held in place with stainless turn buckles. I don’t think they really hold the bow down, but they help lift the stern a bit and prevent porpoising.
If they lift the stern with the captain and the motor back there they have to put the bow down a little. On that small of a hull with low horsepower I’d imagine static or even smart tabs would kill efficiency. Getting weight forward would probably be a better option. I don’t run one and could be totally wrong but am just thinking from the physics viewpoint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts