Smallest battery for outboard elec start?

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by Dillusion, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

Whats the smallest and lightest (size as in dimensions, and weight) battery that can be used to start an outboard which has electric start? It would be used on a 15HP merc.

I'm thinking one of those small/half size odyssey batteries? But I dont know what rating would be the smallest. Weight is a concern too...dont want to shove a deep cycle trolling battery back there.

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

A small Odyssey should be perfect for a 15. They are sealed and very lightweight. I use one and it powers my Lenco tabs and electric jack plate plus nav and led lights. I don't have electric start or charge on my motor and it has never been drained in a single session. Here's the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002ILK6I/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1352082070&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Good price too. Mine was from 07 and I just replaced it a month ago. Bought mine from Batteries plus and payed about $50 more...

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Get the CCA (Cold Cranking Amp) specification from your outboard manufacture for the engine you have and match a battery to it. The "smallest" may not be the best. Yamaha for example requires more amps than some other outboards. You will end up frying the battery.

Capt. Jan

4. fultonswimmer

fultonswimmer I Love microskiff.com!

Odyssey 625, weighs in at a stealth 12lbs. Used for electric start, tilt, bilge on 20hp Tohatsu and never once taken it down to less than a need for a minimal "pop" recharge(using Odyssey charger about 10 mins.). Pricey but well worth it. They use these batteries in Alaska to start up airplanes in -50 degree weather so they can be depended on!

5. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Braille batterys.

6. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Just a thought, my flouder gigging boat I run the ele. start off my trolling motor battery, it's a group 27 and I have never ran it down where it would not crank my engine. Also I assume your 15hp has a pull rope so if it did you have a back up.

Not sure if you have a trolling motor but if you did you could kill 2 birds with one stone.

7. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I do not have a TM, I and specifically trying not to use a TM battery because they are so hefty.

8. Marshfly

Marshfly I Love microskiff.com!

I use an Odyssey 925 as the starting battery for my Yamaha 2stroke 90 so I would assume that you would be more than ok using the 680 which is the next step down.

9. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

My AGM battery died at the ramp one morning. Hit the Walmart and bought a $25 mower battery to get me by that day (elec start Yami 15 has no pull rope without disassembly). 275 cca. Weighs 14.8 lbs. Almost 5 years later, it's still in the boat. :)
    Elec start and trim tabs are no problem.

10. ugaflats

ugaflats Well-Known Member

X2 on a Yamaha F25

11. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

The 625 would have been sufficient, but I went with the 680 in case I want to add an automatic bilge later on.

Does anyone know if these can be charged back up with a standard deep cycle charger?

12. AfterHours2

I ended up buying a new charger that had the Agm mode along with others. It is still pretty cheap from Walmart. Just remember to allow plenty of time for a trickle slow charge and you will be fine. A standard would work also as long as you do not give it too many amps. Main thing with these batteries, do not use high charge setting and avoid a complete discharge. Follow those steps and you should get 3-5 years maybe more out of it..

13. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

I have this one http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=29106&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50529&classNum=50534#.UKJmZOOe9mg

?

14. I have the original small AGM Dekka battery which starts my motor and runs the navigation lights, cockpit lights and bilge. I have never charged it outside of my outboard.

I also would not buy an auto bilge vs. a manual one.

15. AfterHours2

Honestly, it looks like your charger puts out a constant 6 amp charge which would not be considered a "trickle charge." After speaking with a guy at Batts Plus, he highly suggested using either a charger that has an AGM mode or something that would charge very slowly at a low amperage like 2 or at the highest 4 amps. Yours will probably work but in order to get the longest life out of the battery, I would look at Wal Mart. I bought the Schumacher and it was around $40 or less... Better to be safe than sorry and it has all the settings for AGM, deep cycle, etc....

16. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

This website here lists it as an 'agm' http://dbcmarine.webstorepowered.com/Guest-Portable-Battery-Charger-12-Volt/dp/B000NI38EE

17. edmiears

edmiears Matthew 4:19

http://www.amazon.com/PERFORMANCE-12-CELL-MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B005KLOYHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355193242&sr=8-1&keywords=BALLISTIC+PERFORMANCE+LITHIUM+EVO2+12V+12+CELL

I have this and will share some results soon.

18. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

You get your boat yet?

19. Trickyrick

Trickyrick I Love microskiff.com!

Same here, Walmart lawn tractor battery, except it was for my 115. Worked great and lasted for 4 or 5 years.