Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the smallest and lightest (size as in dimensions, and weight) battery that can be used to start an outboard which has electric start? It would be used on a 15HP merc.

I'm thinking one of those small/half size odyssey batteries? But I dont know what rating would be the smallest. Weight is a concern too...dont want to shove a deep cycle trolling battery back there.

·
Stripper in my own Mind!
2,540 Posts
A small Odyssey should be perfect for a 15. They are sealed and very lightweight. I use one and it powers my Lenco tabs and electric jack plate plus nav and led lights. I don't have electric start or charge on my motor and it has never been drained in a single session. Here's the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002ILK6I/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1352082070&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Good price too. Mine was from 07 and I just replaced it a month ago. Bought mine from Batteries plus and payed about $50 more...

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,103 Posts
Get the CCA (Cold Cranking Amp) specification from your outboard manufacture for the engine you have and match a battery to it. The "smallest" may not be the best. Yamaha for example requires more amps than some other outboards. You will end up frying the battery.

Capt. Jan

·
I Love microskiff.com!
63 Posts
Odyssey 625, weighs in at a stealth 12lbs. Used for electric start, tilt, bilge on 20hp Tohatsu and never once taken it down to less than a need for a minimal "pop" recharge(using Odyssey charger about 10 mins.). Pricey but well worth it. They use these batteries in Alaska to start up airplanes in -50 degree weather so they can be depended on!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just a thought, my flouder gigging boat I run the ele. start off my trolling motor battery, it's a group 27 and I have never ran it down where it would not crank my engine. Also I assume your 15hp has a pull rope so if it did you have a back up.

Not sure if you have a trolling motor but if you did you could kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought, my flouder gigging boat I run the ele. start off my trolling motor battery, it's a group 27 and I have never ran it down where it would not crank my engine. Also I assume your 15hp has a pull rope so if it did you have a back up.

Not sure if you have a trolling motor but if you did you could kill 2 birds with one stone.
I do not have a TM, I and specifically trying not to use a TM battery because they are so hefty.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
241 Posts
I use an Odyssey 925 as the starting battery for my Yamaha 2stroke 90 so I would assume that you would be more than ok using the 680 which is the next step down.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My AGM battery died at the ramp one morning. Hit the Walmart and bought a $25 mower battery to get me by that day (elec start Yami 15 has no pull rope without disassembly). 275 cca. Weighs 14.8 lbs. Almost 5 years later, it's still in the boat. :)
Elec start and trim tabs are no problem.

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 625 would have been sufficient, but I went with the 680 in case I want to add an automatic bilge later on.

Does anyone know if these can be charged back up with a standard deep cycle charger?

·
Stripper in my own Mind!
2,540 Posts
I ended up buying a new charger that had the Agm mode along with others. It is still pretty cheap from Walmart. Just remember to allow plenty of time for a trickle slow charge and you will be fine. A standard would work also as long as you do not give it too many amps. Main thing with these batteries, do not use high charge setting and avoid a complete discharge. Follow those steps and you should get 3-5 years maybe more out of it..

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have this one http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=29106&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50529&classNum=50534#.UKJmZOOe9mg

?

G

·
I have the original small AGM Dekka battery which starts my motor and runs the navigation lights, cockpit lights and bilge. I have never charged it outside of my outboard.

I also would not buy an auto bilge vs. a manual one.

·
Stripper in my own Mind!
2,540 Posts
Honestly, it looks like your charger puts out a constant 6 amp charge which would not be considered a "trickle charge." After speaking with a guy at Batts Plus, he highly suggested using either a charger that has an AGM mode or something that would charge very slowly at a low amperage like 2 or at the highest 4 amps. Yours will probably work but in order to get the longest life out of the battery, I would look at Wal Mart. I bought the Schumacher and it was around $40 or less... Better to be safe than sorry and it has all the settings for AGM, deep cycle, etc....

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honestly, it looks like your charger puts out a constant 6 amp charge which would not be considered a "trickle charge." After speaking with a guy at Batts Plus, he highly suggested using either a charger that has an AGM mode or something that would charge very slowly at a low amperage like 2 or at the highest 4 amps. Yours will probably work but in order to get the longest life out of the battery, I would look at Wal Mart. I bought the Schumacher and it was around $40 or less... Better to be safe than sorry and it has all the settings for AGM, deep cycle, etc....
This website here lists it as an 'agm' http://dbcmarine.webstorepowered.com/Guest-Portable-Battery-Charger-12-Volt/dp/B000NI38EE

·
Matthew 4:19
33 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/PERFORMANCE-12-CELL-MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B005KLOYHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355193242&sr=8-1&keywords=BALLISTIC+PERFORMANCE+LITHIUM+EVO2+12V+12+CELL

I have this and will share some results soon.

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.amazon.com/PERFORMANCE-12-CELL-MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B005KLOYHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355193242&sr=8-1&keywords=BALLISTIC+PERFORMANCE+LITHIUM+EVO2+12V+12+CELL

I have this and will share some results soon.
You get your boat yet?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
22 Posts
My AGM battery died at the ramp one morning. Hit the Walmart and bought a $25 mower battery to get me by that day (elec start Yami 15 has no pull rope without disassembly). 275 cca. Weighs 14.8 lbs. Almost 5 years later, it's still in the boat. :)
Elec start and trim tabs are no problem.
Same here, Walmart lawn tractor battery, except it was for my 115. Worked great and lasted for 4 or 5 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts