Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be on a family trip up by Greenbrier Creek/Little Pigeon River late this coming summer. Fishing is waaaay down the list of priorities (so the family thinks). From what Ive researched there's some little dink trout to be had and I was thinking of packing a little rod. I do not want to sink much into this investment because I'm not even sure when I'll be able to go exploring. I'm thinking a little 3wt from the size of these stream beasts I'm seeing online from the area. Maybe explore the Tenkara ordeal? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
744 Posts
Fenwick Aetos is a good one. Can be found on clearance

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Take a look at the Echo rods IMHO.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
962 Posts
Define cheap? The Cabelas CGR is $70. And looking at their website they've got their Wind River reels on sale for $20. At such a small size the reel doesn't do much of anything but hold your line.

I'd consider that pretty damn cheap. And the CGR is a great rod. Lots of fun on small water.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Eagle Claw/Wright&McGill featherlight fiberglass, cheap and crazy tough. Had the 5wt for a couple years, not fancy but great for abuse and under a truck backseat. Think I paid like $30, can't beat it.

Edit to add: It's also a hideous ugly yellow color NOBODY would steal.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Cabelas has a combo 3 wt rod that might fit with what your looking for.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-BIGHORN-FLY-COMBO/2665710.uts?slotId=5

I have one China made rod and it just happens to be a Cabelas 6' 6" 2 wt.
Cost around $39.00 20 years ago. I got it to leave in the closet on our dock so that should someone break it my feelings wouldn't be hurt :).
I and my dad have had fun catching blue gills and large mouths with it but kids visiting liked the push button rods equipped with a bobber better.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
962 Posts
Eagle Claw/Wright&McGill featherlight fiberglass, cheap and crazy tough. Had the 5wt for a couple years, not fancy but great for abuse and under a truck backseat. Think I paid like $30, can't beat it.

Edit to add: It's also a hideous ugly yellow color NOBODY would steal.
I have that Eagle Claw Featherlight in 5/6wt with an old-ass Okuma reel. It's actually damn fun to cast. Plus, I put a 7wt line on there and am using it to teach my 8-year old to cast. Over-lining it helps him feel the load.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Not knowing your experience with a fly rod I'd recommend that you don't wait until the last moment to get the rod and doing some lawn casting. I've trout fished rivers and creeks larger and smaller than the Little Pigeon and accurate casting is a big plus on this type of water. If your a newbie read a few articles on reading the water for this type of fishing and an article or two on this particular fishery. Concentrate on casts from 10 to 30 feet. Don't fall for the hype that you need 12' leaders if you can not get them to turn over a fly or put the fly where your aiming at. A good cast with an 9 ft leader will catch fish even on heavily visited waters.

The time of year your going is still dry fly season but if the area your fishing has been hit pretty hard and your not getting any takers go to nymphs as that's the main diet of small trout.

Good luck and have fun..........

·
I Love microskiff.com!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. I'm rusty but have been slinging fur and feathers for a long time. Only fresh water was chugging poppers for panfish. If anybody has any pointers to help steer me in the right direction up there, I'm all ears. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts