Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious what you guys thought about the Heron 16 and it’s abilities in a chop or going through an inlet/pass. 5-7 times a year I like to go beachside and chase some tarpon and have to get through Destin pass to get there. I realize the Heron 18 would be more competent but I’m really want something in the price range of the 16 plus I prefer it’s shorter rear deck. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would do it as long as you pick your days, meaning 2-3ft max and that might be pushing it at least for me. I have an advent which is almost the same exact hull and have video of it running in some good chop. Send me a PM and I’ll send it over to you
I was curious what you guys thought about the Heron 16 and it’s abilities in a chop or going through an inlet/pass. 5-7 times a year I like to go beachside and chase some tarpon and have to get through Destin pass to get there. I realize the Heron 18 would be more competent but I’m really want something in the price range of the 16 plus I prefer it’s shorter rear deck. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would do it as long as you pick your days, meaning 2-3ft max and that might be pushing it at least for me. I have an advent which is almost the same exact hull and have video of it running in some good chop. Send me a PM and I’ll send it over to you
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
56 Posts
get trim tabs and pick your days. When i had one I didnt hesitate to take it off the beach, you just got to be smart. Never felt unsafe or anything even on less than ideal conditions. Obviously its not made for that kind of fishing, but it can absolutely get you out there and back safely when its right.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
I would not advise that boat for that task especially not a 16. That pass gets pretty nasty especially on outgoing tides plus during a summer most days even if they start flat will end with south wind pumping and turning a lake into what will feel like a bad idea in that skiff.

There will be a couple days a year when it would be doable but not many especially during summer.

2-3’ no way if the beach charts are reading more than 1’ or more it’s pretty much a no go in a small low freeboard skiff, without much deadrise.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would not advise that boat for that task especially not a 16. That pass gets pretty nasty especially on outgoing tides plus during a summer most days even if they start flat will end with south wind pumping and turning a lake into what will feel like a bad idea in that skiff.

There will be a couple days a year when it would be doable but not many especially during summer.

2-3’ no way if the beach charts are reading more than 1’ or more it’s pretty much a no go in a small low freeboard skiff, without much deadrise.
^^^^^This
Grew up in Destin. That pass can get real bad real quick. If you don't know what you are doing it could be a bad day!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have had 2 skiffs living in destin and have run down the beach looking for tarpon. In the summer time when the tarpon run, I have been able to go out in the morning while the tide is coming in and the Gulf is flat, run down the beach and look for poons, and then get back before the sea breeze started. I have done this on an Ankona Native SUV 17 and my friends BT Strike, and one time we stayed a little long and by the time we were on the way back, we took a couple of waves over the bow. It can be done but like everyone said, watch the tides and when the wind is supposed to start up. Now in the winter when there is a strong north wind, I have taken by Native out and run along the beach looking for bull reds with no problems.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,177 Posts
^^^^^This
Grew up in Destin. That pass can get real bad real quick. If you don't know what you are doing it could be a bad day!
X3 I did not grow up there, but was on a 55ft Model Bow tug going through there on a strong falling tide once with light (10-15) S wind, and we dipped the bow once going out. Granted that boat doesn't ride up on a short wave but you get the idea. It stacks up.

Whatever you get just make sure you can get the motor low enough to hold the bow up, use you head and you should be ok.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts

I think a lot of folks 2-3’ seas are about half that. A true 2’ wave is no joke in a 16’ skiff.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ultimately it’s all about how comfortable you are operating your boat and how well you can read the water. I’ve never been out of that inlet before but I can’t imagine it’s any worse than Sebastian on the east coast. I would be comfortable in my advent going out there if i knew the tides and paid attention the the weather

·
Registered
280 Posts
Like everyone said, pick your days. If you're not comfortable or inexperienced I wouldn't though. I have taken mine through matanzas inlet a few times with no issues. It handles chop very well for it's size, but one good nose dip on an inlet roller and you are done. Understand that it is a light boat and you will get pushed around. Also I wouldn't do it with more than 2 on board as it is very weight sensitive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ultimately it’s all about how comfortable you are operating your boat and how well you can read the water. I’ve never been out of that inlet before but I can’t imagine it’s any worse than Sebastian on the east coast. I would be comfortable in my advent going out there if i knew the tides and paid attention the the weather
well lagoonnewb im happy you mentioned sebastion cause i live near there and had the same question lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
well lagoonnewb im happy you mentioned sebastion cause i live near there and had the same question lol
I’ll amend this slightly, I would only take my Advent through that inlet if I knew that the forecast for that day was crystal clear, however I would take it beach side out of canaveral without hesitation and have been ocean side in the keys for 5 days straight during lobster season. It handled everything just fine

·
Paddling away...
6,492 Posts
I love my Heron 16 and will not hesitate to run it through anything, really. While it is low freeboard on the stern, it's damn near impossible to take a wave over the bow. The only time I ever took a wave over the bow was when I was idling in an idle zone and a large 30'+ center console came flying around the corner that didn't give me any time to throw the bow up in the air. I fish my skiff all over the keys, the glades, Biscayne bay and often run the beaches for tarpon. I have never felt unsafe. while the 18 is better suited for this particular task, I still prefer the 16 for it's shallower water capabilities and being able to maneuver through the everglades creeks. This skiff is definitely capable to go out the inlet 5-7 times a year. While I understand some might be familiar with the particular inlet you fish, I am extremely familiar with this particular skiff and have towed it around florida and the carolinas. It has never disappointed, no matter what has been thrown it's way.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
463 Posts
I have had 2 skiffs living in destin and have run down the beach looking for tarpon. In the summer time when the tarpon run, I have been able to go out in the morning while the tide is coming in and the Gulf is flat, run down the beach and look for poons, and then get back before the sea breeze started. I have done this on an Ankona Native SUV 17 and my friends BT Strike, and one time we stayed a little long and by the time we were on the way back, we took a couple of waves over the bow. It can be done but like everyone said, watch the tides and when the wind is supposed to start up. Now in the winter when there is a strong north wind, I have taken by Native out and run along the beach looking for bull reds with no problems.
This. I grew up in the Panhandle as well, and now take my boat out of the St. John's River and St. Augustine inlet regularly. Do your best to avoid running through the inlet when the wind and tide are opposing each other, especially an outgoing tide and strong south or southeast wind. In the summer, sea breeze will pick up around noon typically but there are contributing factors.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
55 Posts
I live in Destin and fish for redfish down the beach as well. My boat is a scout sportsman 145. Just make sure you pick days with favorable weather. The pass can get very dangerous very quickly. It is very shallow with shallow sandbars and waves can very big, very quickly. It must be 1ft or less or I’m not out there. Typically only fish it on a north wind.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone happen to have the measurement of the Heron 16 cockpit from front to rear? I’m trying to figure out if it’s long to lie down in when camping????? I’m exactly 6’0”.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts