Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking into the Fishpond Thunderhead Sling pack as well as Simms and Orvis waterproof versions. Having a hard time justifying the coins but am seriously considering the Fishpond.

Any owner reviews would be appreciated. Right now I use a early Sage small waist pack that works OK if you don’t need to keep things dry - unfortunately it’s not waterproof. LMK experience or thoughts please.

·
Noobin' it up!
113 Posts
I personally didn't like the feel of a slingpack, once they're loaded up its uncomfortable to cast with and likes to slip off. Mine was a Patagonia sling, ended up going to a vest/pack hybrid for full day trips and a smaller chest pack for quick trips.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,504 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Patagonia sling pack. I keep waiting for it to fall apart so I can look into one of the Vedavoo packs. Can't rationalize the purchase until then.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been pretty happy with my Patagonia sling pack. I keep waiting for it to fall apart so I can look into one of the Vedavoo packs. Can't rationalize the purchase until then.
Yep that’s another one I’m considering the Vedavoo Beast Sling Pack - good review on Hatchmag.com

·
I Love microskiff.com!
107 Posts
Vedavoo is tough to beat, use mine for salt and trout fishing out west. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Noobin' it up!
113 Posts
Thawk - what type of vest/hybrid and which chest pack - did you find the chest pack too limiting?
I used the patagonia hybrid pack vest, its not waterproof but has good storage capacity. My chestpack is a smaller fishpond which will carry essentials, usually just a fly box, leaders, forceps/pliers. It's pretty comfortable to wear, just not large enough to fit a nalgene bottle for water.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the fishpond thunderhead sling, I love it. It has graduated from a fishing only bag, proudly use it as my MURSE on weekends. The outside zipper is not waterproof, as they advertise. The big pocket is dry. I looked at several and am happy I settled on this one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the Thunderhead sling for several reasons but must add I’m impressed with both the Vedavoo packs “Beast” and the “Seam” are very nice and have good price points - also Made in America appeals to me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
I have an Orvis Guide sling pack and I like it. I don't wear it much but take it in whichever boat I'm fishing out of. Have my flies, tippets, and tools organized and can put it on if I need to wade.

Reactions: crboggs

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
I have had the whOrvis guide sling for a couple years, holding up really well and actually really well thought out. It's definitely not waterproof, but I rarely wade deeper than waist deep unless I'm crossing a river. It is comfortable while casting and doesn't get in my way or shift around as long as I clip the strap.

Less is more with packs and slings, you'll think you need to carry way more than you actually will. The only time mine is ever even close to loaded is when I am fishing with someone out of their boat, and get hit with the ol'... well I might need this, well I might need that, well I might need a backup for both of those things, better take a second hat just in case, etc.

It'll hold 2 decent size fly boxes, headlamp, sunscreen, hat, wallet, gloves, pliers, hemostats, nippers, nail knot tool, leader straightener, leader material, floatant, all my tippet, a second reel, spare spool, couple sandwiches, granola bars, and enough water or Gatorade for a day.

It just pulled double duty the other day as a range bag, for an unplanned IDPA match.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,210 Posts
I have the waterproof Patagonia sling pack and it has worked great for years and I use it wether I am in the canoe, on the skiff, or paddle board.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts
I have the Fishpond Thunderhead but I bought a previous model on clearance so it was like $140 instead of $230. I've got zero complaints and it's held up quite well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love my sling pack but don’t have a review exactly because it’s home made. The process of designing and sewing presented me with lots of options so I can share a few things here that might be useful when picking one off the shelf or getting someone to custom make one.

Here it is:

5DCC0C5D-F830-4635-BC88-D8A17EE6F239.jpeg
A424821B-4FE1-4582-968D-3382558ECD1E.jpeg
4B5068D7-7BF0-4FB3-9E9D-1FC34C71E12F.jpeg

It’s pretty simple. That’s by design but probably also because of my limits with the thread injector. A major design point is that it’s narrow and thin. Narrow so it doesn’t stick out on the sides. I didn’t want to bump it while hauling or stripping. Thin as in doesn’t project out from my back far. I think it’s about 3 or 4 inches so that it never feels like it’s pulling me back. Also, I’m not able to pack more than I need (unfortunately, no 6-pack of beer). The other thing that I chose was to make the strap go over my left shoulder. This was originally because I was using the pack for squirrel hunting also and needed my shooting should free. For fishing it doesn’t matter much which shoulder as long as it doesn’t impede range of motion on either side. Y strap arrangement with quick disconnects on BOTH legs of the why and adjustment on both legs. Adjustability is important because I fish all seasons and sometimes have waders and lots of winter layers. Originally put a quick disconnect on the minor strap and an ladder lock on the main strap. The disconnect at the minor strap allows me to swing it around to the front zipper up. No disconnect on the main strap meant I had to lift it off over my head. I wear hats all the time (sometimes even when sleeping). I added a quick disconnect on the main strap after knocking my hat off 1001 times. The outside has an elastic pocket that works great for snacks or whatever. A camera sized Velcro pocket. A daisy chain to attach other stuff like carabiners, tippet spools, tools, etc. There’s loops on the side opposite the zipper that I have used to strap a rod tube. Fabric is X-pac which is very lightweight compared to PU coated materials and is laminated with a waterproof layer. The pack isn’t waterproof for submersion but keeps mostly dry on a quick dunking, waves and rain. The only thing I want to add is a haul loop at the top for hanging on a hook. There’s a daisy chain down the padded portion of the strap for attaching tools etc.

Action shot (albie about 200’ out in a big rip putting a healthy bend in the 8wt):

EDB483B7-503E-4FA5-8AE4-A1E4981D69BA.jpeg

Hope that was useful (otherwise I’m just showing off). Oh yeah...some credit for the design inspiration should go to Chris Zimmer (ZimmerBuilt) who makes awesome ultralight backpacks and *cough* tenkara *cough* packs. Check him out on the web if you’re interested in getting something made to your design. His workmanship is top notch.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The new Bote packs are nearly identical to the fishpond or Patagonia ones. Fully submersible. I like a sling because it fits my camera also and when you pull it around to your chest it has easy access. They are also cheaper than the competitor. Haven't had mine long but the quality seems very nice.

https://www.boteboard.com/product/highwater-slingpack/

·
Registered
200 Posts
To the folks with the submersible packs zippered packs, can the TIZIP waterproof zippers be opened with one hand when the bag is hanging in front of you?

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's not going to be easy to open that t-zip with one hand!
I used the Patagonia Stormfront sling for a year or so as I thought it would be the end all be all. I didn't mind so much hiking with it, but casting with it on gave me a sore shoulder. And it's worse if the sling has a heavy load in it ie a DSLR and a big Nalgene bottle.
I've since gone back to waist packs, and also to a smaller camera. Not as much capacity but really nice on the shoulders.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts