Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Talquin yesterday. I threw,
Worms in different sizes and colors, creature baits, Crawfish, square bills, deep cranks, light jigs, heavy jigs, a spinner bait, and even a frog. I fished deep points, channel edges, deep structure, shallow structure, shallow flats, dead lilly pads. Nothing, zip, zero, not even a bite. Just when I think I'm starting to understand Bass a little, I realize how little I actually know.

Feel free to share your most recent or funny skunk story..... that's assuming you have one to share, but you get the idea.

Alternatively, you could share your deepest most closely held LM-Bass fishing secrets.

Do your best to keep the politics, spray rail, and tunnel hull debate BS outta this thread. Ok Queue all 3 replies...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fished Talquin yesterday. I threw,
Worms in different sizes and colors, creature baits, Crawfish, square bills, deep cranks, light jigs, heavy jigs, a spinner bait, and even a frog. I fished deep points, channel edges, deep structure, shallow structure, shallow flats, dead lilly pads. Nothing, zip, zero, not even a bite. Just when I think I'm starting to understand Bass a little, I realize how little I actually know.

Feel free to share your most recent or funny skunk story..... that's assuming you have one to share, but you get the idea.

Alternatively, you could share your deepest most closely held LM-Bass fishing secrets.

Do your best to keep the politics, spray rail, and tunnel hull debate BS outta this thread. Ok Queue all 3 replies...
I was fishing for freshwater trout years ago and couldn’t catch a thing. Fished hard all day and finally caught one. Took him home for dinner and when I opened him up, he was completely empty. I guess there’s days when fish just don’t eat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have they or are they spawning yet? During the spawn I can't catch squat, pre & post I light em up. What was your water temp? My local lake is a power plant lake and "usually" this time of year they'll hit topwater because the water is just right but it's been so mild here that the plant is barely warming the water and I've been catching everything on TX Rigged worms. I'm fairly lucky that I have only been skunked twice on this lake. Hoping my good luck holds out as I am going out Friday morning even though it will be in the 30's but I haven't been in 2 weeks because of wind & rain. Bass are crazy but if you figure out your lake patterns than you're good. Not really a skunked story but it's all I've got.

Reactions: LowHydrogen

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've fished Lake Lanier for stripers 8 times since November. Hours of cruising with binoculars, looking for surfacing fish/diving birds. Exactly zip to show for it. Did pretty well last year during the same time period, or I'd have already given up. It seems the threadfin shad that are normally shallow during Fall and early Spring are staying deep, but I've not heard any theories on why. To top it off, my last trip was to a new ramp for me on the north end. Found it closed due to high water, along with all the other ramps that far north. And I don't even really like freshwater fishing :)

·
Fly-By-Night
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have they or are they spawning yet? During the spawn I can't catch squat, pre & post I light em up. What was your water temp? My local lake is a power plant lake and "usually" this time of year they'll hit topwater because the water is just right but it's been so mild here that the plant is barely warming the water and I've been catching everything on TX Rigged worms. I'm fairly lucky that I have only been skunked twice on this lake. Hoping my good luck holds out as I am going out Friday morning even though it will be in the 30's but I haven't been in 2 weeks because of wind & rain. Bass are crazy but if you figure out your lake patterns than you're good. Not really a skunked story but it's all I've got.
Just starting to stage which made me think mid depth drop-offs on points next to bedding areas and flats, but there was a really cold snap and the water is still pretty cold (I felt it but never turned my ff on so don't have a real temp).

·
Fly-By-Night
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've fished Lake Lanier for stripers 8 times since November. Hours of cruising with binoculars, looking for surfacing fish/diving birds. Exactly zip to show for it. Did pretty well last year during the same time period, or I'd have already given up. It seems the threadfin shad that are normally shallow during Fall and early Spring are staying deep, but I've not heard any theories on why. To top it off, my last trip was to a new ramp for me on the north end. Found it closed due to high water, along with all the other ramps that far north. And I don't even really like freshwater fishing :)
Keep after em you'll get on em again. My Striper fishing is either awesome or just like you described!

·
Registered
152 Posts
One theory right now is that the turnover never fully finished because of the really warm fall so there is better oxygen around 30-40ft.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bait guys have had a killer season but it really sucks for all of us that fly fish.

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,086 Posts
Fresh water trout, about 4 years ago. I fished a particular stream and caught 15-20 trout, a pretty good day all around. So I went back the next day...same creek, same set up, same time of day. Nothing, not even a short strike. I had a few follows, but no takes. I chalked it up to all the fish having sore lips from the day before.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can go after redfish and fish the entire day and not catch a single one and can be satisfied with the day but if I go bass fishing and catch nothing I literally want to snap all my rods in half.
So much truth in this but makes you wonder why it's that way though. Last trip to the coast I caught 2 scrub trout and that was it and even after getting the boat stuck shallow twice the trip was considered good, went to my local lake the next weekend and caught nothing (1 of the 2 times I mentioned) and was super pissed. Was ready to s-can the boat and gear. Crazy how that works.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
I recommend not bass fishing anymore.

Sunday was a tough day where I was. The tide was lower than I had ever seen due to a huge moon and a strong east wind. We were basically land locked in a big puddle loaded with fish. We caught a couple dozen fish but it was the toughest day I've had in a long time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fresh water trout, about 4 years ago. I fished a particular stream and caught 15-20 trout, a pretty good day all around. So I went back the next day...same creek, same set up, same time of day. Nothing, not even a short strike. I had a few follows, but no takes. I chalked it up to all the fish having sore lips from the day before.
I’ve had that happen more often than not. The first time was on a wilderness stream in southern Colorado. Not a hit the entire day then the place turned on for an hour and I caught one after another. No obvious sign of a hatch. Then a complete shutdown. I hiked in to the same place the following day. Fished hard for a few hours. Nada. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I bought my skiff last year on December 4 with a pretty much no idea what Im doin and a goal to boat a tarpon with no guide help of any kind and fished 30 days straight in Choko and the Keys for tarpon and never caught nothing. You read that right. 30 days. Straight. Nothin.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts