Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this had been a topic here in the past but I'm working on transforming an old hull into a micro-skiff.
I have given it a lot of thought and have formulated a plan that requires changing the stern half of the hull to incorporate a 10 inch wider footprint and a 10 inch wide by 2.5 inch deep tunnel running forward to about 42 inches. This also flattens the bottom and widens and deepens the stern for better stability and the ability to run an outboard motor.
This also adds flotation by increasing displacement helping with the added weight of the motor. I'm planning on running a 5 hp motor. I'm also cutting out the decking around the cockpit thus opening up more useable space and storage. I've cut out another area of deck allowing for a dry storage compartment with hatch that doubles as a casting platform. A grab handle will be fit to the mast receptacle and one in the cockpit for the pilot when standing. So far I've spent two days working on it and I like the way it's looking. I'm hoping to be able to carry two people and gear for photography and occasional fishing. I would like to finish project Skinny Fish in less that a month, but we will see.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,963 Posts
I don't think the tunnel will do anything with a 5 hp and two people. I built a similar sized boat with a tunnel. In order to for it to run properly it has a 20hp, jackplate, heavily cupped prop and ventilation plate. I built the transom up to get the height. In order to flatten it out, it has a bigger than needed tank in the bow that keeps it down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the tunnel will do anything with a 5 hp and two people. I built a similar sized boat with a tunnel. In order to for it to run properly it has a 20hp, jackplate, heavily cupped prop and ventilation plate. I built the transom up to get the height. In order to flatten it out, it has a bigger than needed tank in the bow that keeps it down.
Thanks for the input, If it runs good with the 5 horse, I may move up to a larger displacement motor so I can take advantage of the tunnel. This is all a great experiment and so far I'm really enjoying the challenge. I'm adding another pic with home made motor sitting in place. Like you I think I will build the transom up a little higher or make a manual jack plate to adjust motor height.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm posting a few more pics from the last two days of work and a sketch or two of what I hope it turns out like. The sketches are not to scale.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been working on the Skinny Fish and now have it upside down on a stand so I can get to the bottom. Here are a few pics of the general idea and how I think the bottom will blend into the original hull.
Workshop Box Plywood Lumber Toolroom
Paint Electrical supply Wire Engineering Cable
Tan Plywood Composite material Machine
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender Automotive lighting
Wood Floor Hardwood Engineering Plywood
Wood Floor Hardwood Engineering Plywood
Wood Door Hardwood Wood stain Home door

1 - 5 of 5 Posts