Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of completing an order for a Skimmer Skiff (14' 6'') but I still have some reservations about getting a boat sight unseen. Any testimonials to the quality (durability, poling ability, stability, dryness of ride, etc), or lack their of, of these boats, particularly the 14' 6'' model, would be very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I fished and poled a friends probably 6 years ago and liked it a lot. Drafted really shallow 5-6”.
I really liked the boat for what it was. Not a high end skiff but really practical and balanced for what it is.
At 14’ your “dryness” etc is limited

·
Registered
474 Posts
Owned a 14’6” IPB which is the same mold. Was a great boat for getting skinny and catching fish. For just cruising around it won’t win any awards but it gets you on the water. Another plus is that they are super easy to work on.

Reactions: pawleysonthefly

·
I Love microskiff.com!
48 Posts
I'm in the process of completing an order for a Skimmer Skiff (14' 6'') but I still have some reservations about getting a boat sight unseen. Any testimonials to the quality (durability, poling ability, stability, dryness of ride, etc), or lack their of, of these boats, particularly the 14' 6'' model, would be very helpful. Thank you.
Here’s a video by a shop that sells them in Miami.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
A friend has one and you will need trim tabs.
Can’t put a lot weight in the back w/the motor.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Kevin is 310lbs and can't move forward because of the center console.
If you go to the FBook page you will see his video if you scroll down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a 16’6” built during the winter and picked it up in February. Finished deck, 60hp tohatsu and power pole on the back, trolling motor up front, center console. No issues having me and another person on the bench (around 350 pounds), even with the motor and pole on the back. Handles chop well and stays dry. Has been a good boat for me and I’m happy with it so far

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Also note:
The live-well pickup needs to be lowered just a little.
When your running, it won't pick up.
So what he did, was take the outer cover off and route out the hole or something to let the pick up cover (I didn't really look at it) drop 1/4" to work when running full etc.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Notes I took off my friends boat:
14'6":
Beam: 47" at bottom of the boat/side to side at the motor
Gunnel/sides: 15"
Live-well: 21" long and about 19" wide
Trailer length: 17' aprox, he had a swing tongue on his.
He also got two different Live-well spray tubes in different lengths so he didn't have to fill the LWell full all the time for different baits.
He also mad a screen insert for drainage to keep bait out of the hose when emptying the Lwell.
Jack plate is awesome he says on this boat. Get a Bob's Machine JPlate they say, lasts longer.
I used my tape measure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts