Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting a micro skiff for awhile. I will be fishing in the back country in Texas. I was looking at gladesmen or something along those lines. Just need a good skiff that can get the job done. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Quality Welded Aluminum ! 1546 Mod V Drop Deck Tunnel ! Taking her out tomorrow ... Alumacraft :)

Reactions: CPurvis

·
I Love microskiff.com!
627 Posts
That price range is going to be either Jon boat or Gheenoe if it’s setup decently with stuff like a trolling motor, fish finder, reliable outboard, and solid trailer. Assuming you don’t want one of the old generic fiberglass tri hull boats.

You might be able to find a slightly better hull, but you’ll need to plan on spending some $ on repairs and upgrades in various areas.

The other option would be finding a super cheap/almost free bare aluminum hull and setting it up with new parts. You can get a Tohatsu 20 hp for under $3k, a new trailer for $600-$800, $500 for a good fish finder, $400 for an MHX push pole, and $300-$600 for a trolling motor. Maybe not the best value in terms of resale but at least you wouldn’t be fixing stuff all the time.

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
I picked up an old ‘97 flats and bay , 70 Evinrude ( bad tnt), tm trailer in a tool trade. Prolly $1500 in boat to start with
Gone thru completely since. Prolly have $6500 in it now. New to me f50 biggest expense. Needed love

Be patient ,keep your eyes open.
Boat on micro skiff prior to me. 1660 flats & bay restore project. Bragging spot

·
Registered
930 Posts
I agree with going with the aluminum jon boat. They will float anywhere and hold up really well. You can beat the hell out of them and it seems to only make them better. Like an old pair of boots. For your price range I would definitely go aluminum.

I fished this for a couple of years before getting a glass skiff.
20190916_112039.jpg

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I actually have a 15' Kingfisher hull for $75.00 If you have any skill set at all you can barter some labor for it . I have the title but cant find it a little work and the title can happen ...

Needs a good clean up and possible resto ...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for yalls help and responses. I have been running a 16 ft jon boat myself. I love it. Ive done everything in it from duck hunting to poling, but I am ready to move on. It has been a great boat to learn in. The boat becomes difficult to pole in any winds over 8 mph and the hull slap is terrible. I have tried poling backwards and everything.

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
I may have a 14'-ish micro skiff built from plans I can part with (boat only) around Port O'Connor. We will be back down later this month for the start of the bull red run and can get you pics then if you are interested.

Michael

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks everyone for yalls help and responses. I have been running a 16 ft jon boat myself. I love it. Ive done everything in it from duck hunting to poling, but I am ready to move on. It has been a great boat to learn in. The boat becomes difficult to pole in any winds over 8 mph and the hull slap is terrible. I have tried poling backwards and everything.
I was waiting for this response, the right tool will get the job done right. This is coming from someone who tried to use v-hull aluminum to stalk flats in So. TX. It's great not to have to give a shit about oysters...but the stealth it is not. And doesn't track well when attempting to pole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts