Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish 98% solo and honestly 90% is freshwater but I do love the ability to run down to the coast and go chase Reds & Trout and frankly whatever else will bite. Since I'm usually alone I was contemplating my next boat (strongly looking at Sabine) without a poling platform and adding a trolling motor. How many here are in similar positions and if you do not have a poling platform do you regret it? I had actually thought about just going to bass boat route but again I love the coast and would much rather have a multi-purpose rig and again since I'm usually alone I don't want a bay boat, I prefer to be more nimble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fish 98% solo and honestly 90% is freshwater but I do love the ability to run down to the coast and go chase Reds & Trout and frankly whatever else will bite. Since I'm usually alone I was contemplating my next boat (strongly looking at Sabine) without a poling platform and adding a trolling motor. How many here are in similar positions and if you do not have a poling platform do you regret it? I had actually thought about just going to bass boat route but again I love the coast and would much rather have a multi-purpose rig and again since I'm usually alone I don't want a bay boat, I prefer to be more nimble.
I have a gheenoe lt25 with a rear platform. I don't pole but it's nice to lean against standing to fish also I use it like a table to rig. I'd like to remove it to save weight but would want a bar or something in it's place

·
Registered
9 Posts
Right now I am turning a skiff/tender/dinghie into a 'flats boat'. It will not have a polling platform at first (cost of custom platform) but I am going to have a trolling motor. Same reason as you. I fish alone a lot and a trolling motor makes more sense to me when I am alone. You can still poll from the rear deck if you had to and add a platform later if you feel you really need one.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
The previous owner of my lappy had a TM and no platform. If you don't pole, then the platform would just be for spotting fish. If you don't sight fish, then it's just a table.

The only thing I'd suggest is looking for a boat with decent deadrise so that you don't get beat up in a chop. You won't be able to use the super-shallow draft of a flat bottom skiff, since the TM needs some water to operate quietly.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with Kride, even when not being used traditionally, platforms make great seats or a place to set stuff temporarily. You could always go the route of getting a removable one made. I’m sure Sabine could make that no problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Kride, even when not being used traditionally, platforms make great seats or a place to set stuff temporarily. You could always go the route of getting a removable one made. I’m sure Sabine could make that no problem.
That was something I have been wondering. If in fact there is such a thing as a removable platform. Thanks for the input everyone. Good/bad thing is I won't be in the market for probably at least a year but I'm an researcher and like to be prepared when the time is right.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That was something I have been wondering. If in fact there is such a thing as a removable platform. Thanks for the input everyone. Good/bad thing is I won't be in the market for probably at least a year but I'm an researcher and like to be prepared when the time is right.
To get the creative juices flowing, believe it’s an East Cape, came up Google search.
upload_2020-1-15_11-41-28.jpeg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Brian will customize and custom make pretty much whatever you need.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWIW Sabine is currently working on a skiff with a removable piling platform.
And the hits just keep on coming!!! Super badass, I want to go buy now but I made a deal with the "boss".

Reactions: makin moves

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The deal was I would keep this rig for another year or so, hopefully sell it and walk in with a nice down payment and go from there. Since I got my motor issues resolved I can work on some cosmetics (which are plenty) and than maybe sell but I'm enjoying fishing too much right now. I know I'll have a down period (boatless) which I am not looking forward to but it is what it is. Of course unless I strike it rich.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use mine if staked off looking for fish cruising by. I use it as a seat. Shade when angle is right. Makes skiff look right. And makes for a great handle for when you have a charmin moment.
Good points. As was suggested above I'll try to leverage for a removable platform when the time comes. Charmin moment...love it.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Here's some FYI on poling platforms... The very first one was done by Capt Bill Curtis in 1968 (local south florida legend, passed away a few years ago....). Soon after, Bob Hewes included them on the Hewes Bonefisher and we were off to the races... Can't tell you how many bonefish have been taken by poling skiffs - that never had a poling platform since you can do just fine poling up really shallow without one... Included in this you can number almost all of the greatest old time bonefish guides in the Bahamas (guys like Ansil Saunders and others...). Not many of those old timers still around...

Of course to actually be a poling skiff - you need a pushpole... can't remember how many skiffs I've seen over the years with a poling platform - and no push pole at all... To conclude - my first three skiffs that I actively fished for bonefish and other species with a pushpole never had a poling tower at all... this was back in the seventies and early eighties... I'm now at the other end of the deal at age 71 and still actively guiding. This past summer I finally installed another trolling motor on my old Maverick - after doing without one for more than 20 years.... I keep three or four pushpoles on hand even though they're not getting as much use - I always have one aboard... If your motor quits (and that also goes for your trolling motor... at least you can pole home if necessary...

this old, old pic was taken in 1978 on the last skiff I had without a poling platform at all -and yes the bonefishing back then was just outstanding... that's an 11 pound fish on 6lb spin.... ultra light gear was very popular years ago...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts

this old, old pic was taken in 1978 on the last skiff I had without a poling platform at all -and yes the bonefishing back then was just outstanding... that's an 11 pound fish on 6lb spin.... ultra light gear was very popular years ago...
I love these pics with dudes out fishing in cut-offs and guayabera-type shirts with zero sun protection.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think a poling skiff makes a great multi-purpose bass/saltwater rig. I think the main question for you is, do you want to sight fish? If so, poling is your best bet. If you're going to be poling, you'll want a platform.....

If you are talking trolling motor fishing in the salt, then no platform is needed, and I would go with something a little larger such as action craft or similar.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts