Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Skiff Restore Near Charleston

382 7
I've got an oldish Hewes Bonefisher in the Charleston area that needs some work - probably looking at gas tank replacement, exterior paint, interior gelcoat repairs (chips, gouges, etc.), new rubrail, complete rewire, possibly some trailer work, etc. Any recommendations for someone nearby who could take this on? I've seen On the Fly Skiff Co on IG but the only person I know who has used them had a very negative experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Egret 189
65 Posts
Dillard Umphlett of Liberty Marine rewired my old Maverick and did an outstanding job. Kenny Kraft in Hollywood is the guy to take it to for any structural/finish type work. I would talk to Chris Verburg of Charleston Marine too. Brian there redid his old Redfisher. Chris is always good to bounce ideas off. He loves projects like this

Rewiring can be a dyi. Do as much as you can yourself. The tank replacement is a big deal

These guys are all skilled , honest and good people. And busy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got an oldish Hewes Bonefisher in the Charleston area that needs some work - probably looking at gas tank replacement, exterior paint, interior gelcoat repairs (chips, gouges, etc.), new rubrail, complete rewire, possibly some trailer work, etc. Any recommendations for someone nearby who could take this on? I've seen On the Fly Skiff Co on IG but the only person I know who has used them had a very negative experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I had On the Fly install a bilge for me. They did a good job in the end, but the process of getting them to finally get my skiff in for the work was not good. Lots of promises on timelines, very little follow through. These guys have a very hard time returning phone calls.

They were supposed to be making a casting platform for me as well. Met with them in August and was supposed to be done in a few weeks. Here we are at the end of November and nothing. They go 4 weeks in between communication and nothing but excuses when you finally get someone to get back to you.

Didn’t mean to derail your thread, just a warning to those that are considering doing business with these guys.

I really think they probably mean well and have some good knowledge on what they are doing, but the horrendous lack of communication and follow through with their clients is enough for me to stay away for the time being.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had On the Fly install a bilge for me. They did a good job in the end, but the process of getting them to finally get my skiff in for the work was not good. Lots of promises on timelines, very little follow through. These guys have a very hard time returning phone calls.

They were supposed to be making a casting platform for me as well. Met with them in August and was supposed to be done in a few weeks. Here we are at the end of November and nothing. They go 4 weeks in between communication and nothing but excuses when you finally get someone to get back to you.

Didn’t mean to derail your thread, just a warning to those that are considering doing business with these guys.

I really think they probably mean well and have some good knowledge on what they are doing, but the horrendous lack of communication and follow through with their clients is enough for me to stay away for the time being.
Thanks for the info, that's really exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. That's pretty consistent with what I've heard and would not be at all acceptable to me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dillard Umphlett of Liberty Marine rewired my old Maverick and did an outstanding job. Kenny Kraft in Hollywood is the guy to take it to for any structural/finish type work. I would talk to Chris Verburg of Charleston Marine too. Brian there redid his old Redfisher. Chris is always good to bounce ideas off. He loves projects like this

Rewiring can be a dyi. Do as much as you can yourself. The tank replacement is a big deal

These guys are all skilled , honest and good people. And busy.
Thanks for the info. Chris and Brian are both friends, and I use them for regular maintenance and way too frequent trolling motor repairs. They are both always super helpful in get me in and out in a matter of hours typically. In the past when I've needed help with stuff like gelcoat they've been helpful in directing me towards 3rd parties and don't seem to do much other than engine/electrical/trailer stuff at their shop. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who could take on the entire project.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Egret 189
65 Posts
Thanks for the info. Chris and Brian are both friends, and I use them for regular maintenance and way too frequent trolling motor repairs. They are both always super helpful in get me in and out in a matter of hours typically. In the past when I've needed help with stuff like gelcoat they've been helpful in directing me towards 3rd parties and don't seem to do much other than engine/electrical/trailer stuff at their shop. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who could take on the entire project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts