Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Skiff Remodel

749 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Flatscaster95
My wife and I are the second owners of a 14’ 1974 Sure Cast skiff. It had a great life before we bought it a few years ago, and we look forward to keeping it going.
Composite material Wood Recreation Naval architecture Boat

The transom was rotten when we bought it, so I glassed in 3/4” Coosa before putting my 15hp Tohatsu.

Wood Rectangle Gas Road surface Wood stain

Wood Gas Machine Scale model Flooring
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Machine

Wood Rectangle Composite material Flooring Gas

Ever since, I have looked forward to removing the middle seat which had the bottom drilled to make a live well, and adding a front and back deck. I took a few “before” shots prior to starting:
Plant community Boat Plant Watercraft Tire
Plant Plant community Drill Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Grass

Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Boat Watercraft Plant Gas

The middle would need reinforced without the structure of the middle bench. Planning to add glass meant removing all the old paint and gel. Stripper wasn’t working, so the grinder and sanders were brought out. Thank God for full face respirators and baby powder!
Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Composite material
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· "I got to stop wishin'. I've got to go fishin
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All “flotation” foam in the boat was saturated, and the more I worked, the more I found mush that was once wood.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Asphalt Road surface

The stripping was eventually completed, and I could get a preview of what was to come with some templates.
Road surface Asphalt Road Sidewalk Tints and shades

Finally the fun could begin! The previously hollow, but wood covered and glassed over strakes and keel were filled and I laid down a layer of biax from rail to rail between decks and on the floor under the back deck.

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Composite material Asphalt

Stairs Wood Rectangle Gas Brick

Wood Composite material Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Next was layup, test fitting, and trimming of the decks. I was offered a lot of scraps, so the front deck is foam and back is Nida- Core.

Font Gas Wood Flooring Metal

Wood Asphalt Floor Road surface Composite material

Wood Composite material Gas Concrete Metal

Wood Road surface Composite material Flooring Glass

670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Supports for the decks were added.
Composite material Gas Wood Stairs Fixture

Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Composite material

Bonding paste was added to fill gaps between the decks and hull and round the joints. Finally, a layer of cloth was laid over the front and back decks.
Wood Automotive exterior Road surface Gas Roof

Wood Floor Flooring Automotive exterior Gas

Mode of transport Wood Gas Motor vehicle Vehicle

In an effort to keep costs down, I opted for Rustoleum Topside primer and paint for the interior white. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I plan to use Kiwi Grip for the non-skid on my Hewes which has made a couple cameo appearances in the background. This practice run went great! The white bars on the floor are glassed in PVC that will be the core to screw down the grab bar/ back rest that is still to come.

Water Hood Road surface Tints and shades Triangle

Grass Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas
Plant Plant community Cloud Sky Tree
Plant Road surface Tree Asphalt Sidewalk

· Registered
178 Posts
You made it look easy. I like that you kept portions of the original seats for the start of your bulkheads, great time saver. The hull looks like so many of the skiffs of the 1970's i.e ( Johnsen, Mitchel and many others ) So how did it run ? Mine had so much floor flex I decided to go with a glassed over foam floor on top of 3 small stringers. You're not lacking boats or projects ;)

· I Love Skinny Water
8,014 Posts
Great looking boat. When you mentioned squishy foam I had a flash back to my boat when I first got it. It had holes in the gas tank so the foam was soaked. After removing the gas tank, I had to get under the floor, head first and cut the bad foam out and install a new to me tank I got off eBay. Don’t want to do that again.
What’s your plan for poling that skiff?

670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The outside of the hull had a few holes and dings that needed filling before a quick sanding of the entire hull and paint. My wife was hung up on the aqua mist color from the Total Boat Wet Edge lineup. That stuff is a PITA to work with. You’ll definitely want the brushing thinner if you’re going the roll and tip route. I just rolled with foam, and the results were acceptable. I’d definitely use a different product for a nicer boat. After paint, I riveted PVC pipe under the rails and added the push pole holders. Now she’s back to floating over Mosquito Lagoon and the North Indian River. Other than noticeably stiffer, it runs pretty much the same, topping out at 27 mph with the stock aluminum prop. Huge thanks to @Finsleft258! Without his input and help, this would have been a far bigger shit show, and I would have consumed way less beer.
Plant Grass Flooring Tints and shades Composite material
Fluid Electric blue Concrete Tints and shades Circle
Boat Plant Motor vehicle Hood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Road surface Wood Grass Asphalt Automotive exterior
Plant Plant community Watercraft Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Plant community Wheel Vehicle Watercraft Boat trailer

Sky Vehicle Plant community Tire Wheel
Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Automotive exterior Recreation

· Registered
443 Posts
The outside of the hull had a few holes and dings that needed filling before a quick sanding of the entire hull and paint. My wife was hung up on the aqua mist color from the Total Boat Wet Edge lineup. That stuff is a PITA to work with. You’ll definitely want the brushing thinner if you’re going the roll and tip route. I just rolled with foam, and the results were acceptable. I’d definitely use a different product for a nicer boat. After paint, I riveted PVC pipe under the rails and added the push pole holders. Now she’s back to floating over Mosquito Lagoon and the North Indian River. Other than noticeably stiffer, it runs pretty much the same, topping out at 27 mph with the stock aluminum prop. Huge thanks to @Finsleft258! Without his input and help, this would have been a far bigger shit show, and I would have consumed way less beer.
This is not accurate. We consumed the beer anyway.

You should totally mutilate that Hewes while I'm doing the Whitewater. I'll get us a kegerator at the shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts