Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in south Florida so I mainly fish flamingo and biscayne with an ocasional trip to the west coast.I have a lt25 and the gheenoe limits the places where you can fish so I’ve been thinking about getting something bigger. I would like recommendations for a skiff that I can pole but still cross rougher waters like biscayne. I’m really leaning towards something like a dolphin back country 16 or a bone fisher16. I would like to get something that is 16ft long due to storage and looking to spend around 15k depending on the conditions

·
I Love microskiff.com!
181 Posts
Dolphin Backcountry 16 will do it but won't float very shallow. Smooth riding boat if you can find one. Then there is the 16' Super Skiff Pro. It will take it in the bay when it's 10-15 from the SE and you can head into the chop. The 16 ' Bonefisher will do the job also.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The two skiffs that come to mind for me would be, as you said a Hewes Bonefisher which is a excellent riding boat and will fit in the price range. It will be heavier than you are used to and will draft more. The other could be a Salt Marsh Heron 16. If you were able to save up a little more or find a way to extend your budget a classic whipray would be perfect.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
610 Posts
I live in south Florida so I mainly fish flamingo and biscayne with an ocasional trip to the west coast.I have a lt25 and the gheenoe limits the places where you can fish so I’ve been thinking about getting something bigger. I would like recommendations for a skiff that I can pole but still cross rougher waters like biscayne. I’m really leaning towards something like a dolphin back country 16 or a bone fisher16. I would like to get something that is 16ft long due to storage and looking to spend around 15k depending on the conditions
Have you considers Ankona copperhead? Little small for regular big crossings in Biscayne Bay but could do most of the other areas you mention and just pick you days in the bay.
I’ve been in them and they are surprisingly stable and a good rise me boats for the size and price point. Come up on this forum from time to time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For your needs and budget, I would add the Action Craft 1600 FlatsPro (or similar older model) to the list of possibilities.

·
Paddling away...
6,540 Posts
Depending how simple you keep it, an Ankona Caicos build will be 16-18K for a basic tiller setup. We run all around south florida with it. If you wanna check one out, we have one here you can see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending how simple you keep it, an Ankona Caicos build will be 16-18K for a basic tiller setup. We run all around south florida with it. If you wanna check one out, we have one here you can see.
Last I checked, the Caicos was well over 20k according to Erin. Do you know if your estimate is correct? I'd put them back on my list if so,

·
Paddling away...
6,540 Posts
Last I checked, the Caicos was well over 20k according to Erin. Do you know if your estimate is correct? I'd put them back on my list if so,
It depends on how you rig it, but not well over $20k.. I had them listed at the boat show at $21,750 for a fully loaded side console rig with a 40hp. A basic tiller setup with a 20 was $16k, and a 30hp was $18k. I know there has been a slight increase in price since then due to supply chain issues, but not much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts