Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a place that allows me to fish on Dale Hollow Lake which is a good fishery for smallmouth bass. Also the Cumberland river is a few miles as well. I will mainly be using the boat for fishing the river. Trout fishing is good and the river does get skinny. Most of my fishing will be with a crew of thre people tops. I do have kids and the wife who would like to go sometimes. kids are still young. 7, 5 and 2.

I would like the boat to be able to accommodate the entire family but will mainly be fishing with three adults on board at most.

I have been looking at Hog island 16SW. Do you all think this boat would be a good fit for the above that I have mentioned?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I grew up on Dale Hollow and that area in general. I have fished it for nearly 40 years. Most run a bass boat or a john boat depending on budget. Since you aren't dealing with waves, current or shallow water and sounds like you want 3 or more, I would strongly consider a nice flat/flatter bottom boat with a wide beam.

The water is typically too deep for poling and you don't need to sneak up on freshwater bass. Crappie fishing is done from anchor and walleye are typically caught trolling. Stripers are caught at the damn while they are generating. A skiff just doesn't really do any of that well.

My suggestion is to look at G3, Alumacraft, Lund, etc. I could be tempted into a Carolina Skiff in those waters. Good value boat for flat water.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm sure you know that one boat won't do all that you have listed. Boats for river floating and flat water can be had, add in that you expect to fish 3 adults and your size requirement goes up. If the river you plan on floating has rocks, then you will want to stay clear of fiberglass, opt for aluminum. Cam's recommendation of a G3 or Alumacraft is spot on. You may be looking at something in the 18ft range as a minimum. Good luck searching and let us know what you come up with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts