Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you going to power your skiff in 12 years when gas engines are no longer in manufacture under the direction of the esteemed Jr. Representative from NYC, Miss AOC? Oars, bank of trollers hanging on the transom, sail, pedal drive????? If electric engine, what kind of draft will you get with needed batteries? Maybe solar panel?? Just wondering.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yank out her big ol' teeth and make an oar I reckon.

Reactions: Fritz and Sublime

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Manatees

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Yup same old but newer 2 stroke. Model T’s still run and they quit making those more than 12 years ago.
I don’t think they will be gone in 12 years. Electric may happen, but nothing close to an exact outboard replacement yet. One benefit will be boat balance as batteries won’t loose weight as they are depleted. Batteries, safe and small ones are the real obstacle. I foresee the motor being inboard down the road. Will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Batteries have improved already to the point where you can have two out of three:
1. Cheap
2. Long lasting
3. Light weight

I don't expect it to happen soon but I visualize a day when boats will operate at speed with electric motors AND........batteries will be charged with solar power. My dream......free energy. Remember WWII submarines ran on battery power when submerged so it is not a new idea. (That's not still classified is it?)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I future electric outboards are anything like Teslas , the hole shot will be outrageous.

Reactions: Fishshoot

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dream......free energy. Remember WWII submarines ran on battery power when submerged so it is not a new idea.
No such thing as a free lunch. True, but hard to get up the creek submerged in a skiff. I do believe humans will invent/discover alternative energy, but you can't wreck the country while getting there.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
With a 2 stroke pre-mix. I want to see the eco cops catch me with their solar inboards. I'll have to figure out how to refine my own fuel though.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Remember WWII submarines ran on battery power when submerged so it is not a new idea. (That's not still classified is it?)
Yeah, but they had to surface and run their diesel's in order to charge those batteries once they drained.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Electric motors generate some nasty torque off the line if we can ever figure out how to produce lightweight battery power.
The bigger question may be how to recycle batteries and the materials required to make them.

That may create a bigger environmental challenge than the burning of fossil fuels in the long run...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts