Skiff Manufacturer Rank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtoddsolomon, Oct 25, 2017.

1. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

Man did not see mine on the bottom list

2. Skiffmizer

Skiffmizer Active Member

Also how could you put IBW on the list when they don’t currently produce a flats skiff ?

3. cougmantx

cougmantx Well-Known Member

Don't know if you were addressing my post or quoted it by mistake. I do know for a fact that Skull Island has ramped up production again and has been to a few boat shows in Florida. They've got a really nice 2018 for sale on their websight right now. Not sure what you mean by IBW

4. Skiffmizer

Skiffmizer Active Member

I was talking about Islamorada Boatworks.

cougmantx likes this.
  5. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

7DA87FD4-BBD6-4EBC-B5AD-96773AF6D8C8.png
    tom has the element......

6. Skiffmizer

Skiffmizer Active Member

If you have seen a production Element than your the only one. The boat pictured is a prototype. I don’t see how you can put a boat in a certain class without seeing it.

7. headtuner36

headtuner36 Well-Known Member

Islamorada boatworks was sold to stuart boatworks along with the pos element.they were about to go out of business again and got bail out just like gordon boatworks did with hells bay. Bad management. So know T G is just a salesman for stuart boatworks. From what i here he's not even aloud in the plant. So if you give a deposit for any ibw boat make sure you give it to jeff the owner of stuart boatworks

jmrodandgun and Rick hambric like this.
  8. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

DAAYYMMMNNNN, haven’t heard that one. From what capt.scott Owens was telling me this summer, it was a good skiff and he was working with TG and was going to get one once the deck mold was done.

9. mosquitolaGOON

mosquitolaGOON Well-Known Member

I saw Tom on Sunday and from our conversation there was never any indication that things were anything other than business as usual. Not allowed in the plant? That is total BS.

Rick hambric likes this.
  10. Tommy1

Tommy1 Well-Known Member

headtuner36 said so.
    seems legit.

11. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

12. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

So he can’t talk in the plant? Or make any noises whatsoever. Seems counterproductive for a guy that’s supposed to be building boats.

zmgsvt and Rick hambric like this.
  13. FlyCoast

FlyCoast Well-Known Member

Negative ghost rider...

Tom Gordon and Islamorada Boatworks moved into Stuart Boatworks' old shop in Stuart, FL.

Stuart Boatworks is expanding so they purchased a new facility.

Rick hambric likes this.
  14. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Here

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  15. WhenSkiffsFly

WhenSkiffsFly Active Member

No need to spread rumors... just call Tom and ask him..Im sure he'll be glad to talk to all of you about the Element skiff and his current location. His ph# is 786-393-4752.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    sjrobin, FlyCoast and Rick hambric like this.
  16. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

Yikes..............

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  17. SC Bill

SC Bill Active Member

This kind of thread is just as the OP stated...to get blood boiling.

Without exhaustive exhaustive research of each manufacturer conducted by the likes of JD Powers and a comprehensive review by ISO 9000 family of auditors it is impossible to objectively tier manufacturers.

Price point does not make a great or poor skiff.

Skiff companies generally do or do not do well for a number or reasons and it is difficult to quantify let alone categorize into "tiers" in an objective manner without a lot of very costly research.

18. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Here is who I would let build me a boat in no particular order Ankona,East Cape, Beavertail, and Spears period. Definitely wouldn't build anything from Chittum skiffs or Maverick boat company just me personally.

Smackdaddy53 and Rick hambric like this.
  19. Luke_B

Luke_B I Love microskiff.com!

This is a funny thread. I've got someone about to buy my pathfinder and will be getting back into a skiff pretty soon. I live on the Texas coast and my old Maverick HPXT was a great skiff. I loved it. Ran shallow and drafted pretty shallow. I wish it drafted a little shallower though. I don't like the new mavericks and they did away with the Tunnel.

I've been looking at the Chittum Pretty hard. Laguna with a tunnel. I've talked to several people that have one and love it, and then I've heard the horror stories as well but not straight from the person having the issues, just internet forums/facebook and stuff. Scary stuff to drop 60k on a boat and have major issues like that. I was also looking at a spear at one point but heard they were having delamination issues. I'm sure there is a truth in the middle somewhere on all of it.

What is y'alls advice on it? 17 ft ish, tunnel, steering and good reputation. There's chittum, spears, hells bay... what am I missing?

20. vantagefish

vantagefish I Love microskiff.com!

I haven’t seen it in person, but the pics and feedback of the EVOx tunnel looks like it may be the perfect sled for your neck of the woods