Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved to the Tallahasse area and would like to learn the waters without running into a oyster bed with a brand new hells bay, Spears skiff.

Any recommendations? I would like it somewhat stable enough to take my 3 y/o daughter and wife at times.No more than 6k ideally(used is fine). ANKONA, Skinner, IPB....Currently have an older highsider with 9.9 that’s fun but looking for a little wider platform for comfort and something that can slip into my garage.

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ll play the other side of the coin. Can’t go wrong with a gheenoe lt25. I got just the bare Hull with a center console and trailer and found the motor and everything else on my own and did all my own work. It might take some time to find everything. Took me about 6 months after getting my hull but came out way cheaper than expected. Got my motor on cl from a guy who only had 4 hours on it for about a grand less than msrp. Found a polling platform brand new a fab shop just had laying around for $200. Put in a stereo and nav lights and that’s about it. I love it. It’s pretty bare bones but perfect for my needs.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Salt Marsh 1444. All kevlar hull, simple in form and function. Let me know if you would like pricing.

Reactions: GG34

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
1D40A49A-2EA4-4DE7-A900-A7783FE54C26.png
I’d go with something like a welded 1648 Jon with a 25 hp Mercury. Should fit the budget and take some abuse. Oyster bars are a fact of life here. You can avoid them, but the fish hang out there. I’ve run into them using a trolling motor on speed #2 when the water is dingy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 57852 I’d go with something like a welded 1648 Jon with a 25 hp Mercury. Should fit the budget and take some abuse. Oyster bars are a fact of life here. You can avoid them, but the fish hang out there. I’ve run into them using a trolling motor on speed #2 when the water is dingy.

My fear Exactly! just so used to the fiberglass skiff but I am sure just a bump with the oyster bars with fiberglass will make for a memorable day. Thanks for the input and for the image to remind me of what I face on each trip out...fun(sarcastic)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Cut my teeth one the Aucilla/Econfina area and it has lots of nastiness but some great fishing. All my kids have caught many limits of trout and redfish and once your get over what the place looks on low tide, you will be zooming around in no time! Disclaimer: I did loose one lower unit on a mystery rock and it happens, so have insurance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts