Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been lurking here for quite some time. By now I think I’ve read enough of your threads and done some research and I’m ready to ask this question. If I plan on fishing rivers, creeks, lakes and reservoirs all with little or no chop, can I use a 14ft skiff? I see them as an affordable step up from kayaks and Jon boats, but not nearly as expensive as a bass boat. Another reason I ask is that I have never seen anyone around here using such a skiff. Is there anything I don’t know about that would make something like a 14ft Piranha a terrible idea for my geography. I’d appreciate any opinions. Thank you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks like a great option if your fishing mainly calm waters but it appears these boats, like pretty much every boat on this forum, is decked out with a poling platform at minimum for sight casting or maintaining a good directional path along structure. Do you plan on fishing areas where poling would be a means on maneuvering?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,928 Posts
I think the first question is....where is your geography? The Salt Marsh 1444 is a kevlar hull and is bullet proof. May be another good option should underwater obstructions be a concern. Let me know if you'd like more info on them as I am a rep. Welcome to the forum!

·
Carpe Diem
1,788 Posts
If you fish mostly alone, a 14 ft. jon will do just fine. If you fish with 2 or 3 others, a 16 ft. would be a better choice. If you're fishing Maryland creeks and rivers on weekdays, no problem with chop. If you're fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or on weekends when there is massive boat traffic, then best to stay home with your 14 footer.

·
Panhandler
2,686 Posts
Welcome Fishineer.

Vertigo has some very sound advice. It all depends on where, when and how you fish.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,196 Posts
I’m in Maryland for the second time now. I’m up in Elkton this time.

This topic has come up before. Search “Chesapeake” or “Maryland” or “Potomac”.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/chesapeake-bay-sight-fishing.50422/

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/looking-to-learn.53204/#post-440958

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/scratch-build-new-to-boating.48470/#post-388557

I have a microskiff and it limits my options up here. I can bounce off rocks in the Potomac or Susquehanna without issue, but it is harder to fish the salt. I try to fish the salt like I did down south because that is what my gear allows, but I get skunked more often as not and I have never had a day to brag about.

I’d buy a used 16’ aluminum vee-hull for a starter boat here if you want to fish salt. I don’t like 14’ hulls myself. Once you decide you need a boat, a 16’ is as easy to fish solo as a 14’, but it is much more comfortable than a 14’ if you take a buddy.

Nate

·
Mostly Harmless
2,196 Posts

This is Fishing Bay, Maryland today and this illustrates what a hard north wind does in the Chesapeake. While this is extreme and I wouldn’t be out in that crap in anything, you can see why a microskiff has to be very careful always have a place to hide.

Nate

·
Registered
514 Posts

This is Fishing Bay, Maryland today and this illustrates what a hard north wind does in the Chesapeake. While this is extreme and I wouldn’t be out in that crap in anything, you can see why a microskiff has to be very careful always have a place to hide.

Nate
Oh hell no, back to the ramp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts