Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So i know its been talked about before but i wanted every ones opinion on using a poling skiff for teal, ive been hunting out of a kayak and its not too bad but i wanted to cover some water tomorrow and the kayak makes that difficult. I have an ankona native 17, the deck is FDE but the hull is seafoam. I have a blind i can use for the cockpits that would work great and i have material to cover up the platform, but my main concern is the seafoam sides.

Do you think with the blind and it being so low id be somewhat effective? or just hunt closer with a kayak?

This is a temp solution as I am looking to get a better kayak or a Jon boat

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,158 Posts
As someone who hunts from a flats boat....

use it to transport yourself and gear, set up spread, park boat in other area birds land to flare them to you, pull kayak from boat and kayak back to your spread and hunt.

if you must hunt from the boat do not use a blind, drape burlap and vegetation over in, lay down to get a low profile and STAY STILL

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

use it to transport yourself and gear, set up spread, park boat in other area birds land to flare them to you, pull kayak from boat and kayak back to your spread and hunt.

if you must hunt from the boat do not use a blind, drape burlap and vegetation over in, lay down to get a low profile and STAY STILL
Yesir

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Appreciate it! ill give it a shot with the kayak and move method!

·
Mostly Harmless
2,245 Posts
Even once you get a boat that is less visible, brush it in and hide it “over there” and hunt over here. After opening day, every public land bird knows what a brushed in box means.

Nate

·
Brandon, FL
12,308 Posts
Use whatever you have and get outdoors.

It is not hard to see how duck hunters have dressed for virtually ever. There is a reason for that but if you don't have a boat that is in that tradition then you have to adapt.

Some days birds will ambush you standing on the bow waving a fishing rod around and some days they will flare 200 yards from a great decoy spread. There is one thing I have learned about ducks is that if they want to be in a particular spot they will almost appear drunk to get into that spot, you just need to be where they want to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.