Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys recommend a few skiffs that you would consider ideal for fishing predominantly the Mosquito Lagoon area. I am looking for something that runs on plane in very shallow water. Also, it is very important to me that it be something that poles well. It needs to track well and have very little hull slap if possible. I currently fish a gheenoe there and love how shallow I can get but the hull slap drives me crazy. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,159 Posts
Budget would also help. HB Professional is a pretty sweet skiff for around there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Two things that would probably help narrow your search would be having a max budget and deciding if you would like to focus in a tiller, side or center console.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning more towards a side console or tiller. With regards to budget I would like to keep it under 50k.

·
Registered
335 Posts
$50,000 you'll find quality. I had a side console years ago. The only two things I disliked about it was my size made the boat list to starboard which lead to my always getting wet, mind you I had no trim tabs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Budget would also help. HB Professional is a pretty sweet skiff for around there.
I fish the lagoon a fair amount having moved down here from Jax 3yrs ago. I have fished out of a friends pro and there’s fish you cannot get to in one in the lagoon certain times of the year. I’d look at a waterman, whipray, or glades skiff. I’ve had a waterman in the same areas I fish my gheenoe just a little harder to muscle when you start to drag.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning more towards a side console or tiller. With regards to budget I would like to keep it under 50k.
Lots of options. Are you looking for a narrow two man skiff (55-60") or something a little larger (70")? HB waterman, Eldora or Whipray, Drake Outlaw, East Cape Caimen or glide, Cayo 173 are all good options. The larger beam on a Waterman gives you a little more stability, other than that all of these options will pole well and cover the lagoon.

If you haven't gotten to the point of narrowing it down to 1-2 options yet I would check out peoples rigs at the ramp, at the dock at JB's, stop by the skiff shop and look at what's in the yard, etc. Most people are more than happy to show you their ride. For what its worth I'm currently in a light weight (no liner) Waterman 18 which has been great for the area, large enough to be stable and fish three when needed, shallow enough to get just about everywhere, poles and tracks great.

You will be happy to have upgraded from the Gheenoe, they are a cheap way to get on the water but that's about all I can say for them!

·
I Love My Caimen!
129 Posts
Can you guys recommend a few skiffs that you would consider ideal for fishing predominantly the Mosquito Lagoon area. I am looking for something that runs on plane in very shallow water. Also, it is very important to me that it be something that poles well. It needs to track well and have very little hull slap if possible. I currently fish a gheenoe there and love how shallow I can get but the hull slap drives me crazy. Thank you in advance.

East Cape Caimen is a killer set up for fishing the lagoon

·
I Love microskiff.com!
535 Posts
In all honesty, what is the lagoon like these days? Without any grass around, and the water clarity poor, are you sight fishing wakes and tailers on mud? Or are there areas where you can still visibly see them laid up or slowly cruising? I've tried to give it a rest given the poor conditions and increased pressure on the fish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maverick hpx t can be a great set
Up for the lagoon for around 25k.

But this thread has about every great inshore set up already listed.

·
Registered
2016 Cayo 173
34 Posts
Lots of options. Are you looking for a narrow two man skiff (55-60") or something a little larger (70")? HB waterman, Eldora or Whipray, Drake Outlaw, East Cape Caimen or glide, Cayo 173 are all good options. The larger beam on a Waterman gives you a little more stability, other than that all of these options will pole well and cover the lagoon.

If you haven't gotten to the point of narrowing it down to 1-2 options yet I would check out peoples rigs at the ramp, at the dock at JB's, stop by the skiff shop and look at what's in the yard, etc. Most people are more than happy to show you their ride. For what its worth I'm currently in a light weight (no liner) Waterman 18 which has been great for the area, large enough to be stable and fish three when needed, shallow enough to get just about everywhere, poles and tracks great.

You will be happy to have upgraded from the Gheenoe, they are a cheap way to get on the water but that's about all I can say for them!
Zane nailed it. Just forgot the HPX-S. These are all trophy skiffs for the lagoon. Just depends on the features/weight/stability/fit & finish you seek. For $50k you should easily be able pick up any one of these. Some even new, depending on your options. The Glide, Outlaw, 173, and Eldora will be your shallowest drafting options, but will obviously sacrifice stability and big water comfort.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the response guys. With regards to hull slap when poling into the wind, are there differences in hull designs that minimize that? I would think having some more weight on the bow when poling solo would help.
Zane, where is the skiff shop? Also, are there any boat shows that cater more to skiffs, where more of these skiff manufacturers would be present?

·
Registered
2020 BT Micro
223 Posts
IMO all skiffs are going to have some degree of hull slap going into or quartering into wind....and yes weight does help on some. When I'm poling my BT Micro alone I fill a storage tote with water on the front deck....it helps level the skiff with my big ass on the poling platform and reduces the surface area that causes slap

·
Registered
2016 Cayo 173
34 Posts
Weight up front on any skiff will definitely help with hull slap when fishing solo from the polling platform. Skiff Shop - 700 N US1, Oak Hill 32759. There’s always a variety of skiffs to peep and a wealth of knowledge in the parking lot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts