Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some complaints that you have about your skiff, or about another skiff you've been on? Everything is fair game. Also, let's all try to have some thick skin. We won't all agree on this stuff, and just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean it is necessarily a bad thing for everyone else.

That being said -- if you don't like something, state why you didn't like it. For example, someone told me they didn't like open bulkheads. Without any extra info, that's not really helpful. They informed me that it was due to a lack of access to things at the back of the deck. That information I thought was really helpful, and gives me some thought when purchasing a boat.

I like hearing these, since clearly not one of us has the experience of all of us combined. Hopefully there will be some good info for those looking to purchase a new boat, or those deciding on options for a new skiff.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start small. I don't like the cable ties with the screw eye at the end. Let me use a cable saddle so I can put sealant behind it and leave it there, then cut the zip tie and replace it any time I want.

I also don't like how my poling platform steps are directly in line with the two legs. I have to turn my foot way inward when climbing up from the back deck. I think the style of step that has some bend outwards is a much better solution with very few downsides.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
This is cool. So as someone who sells skiffs, it's good to see what complaints there are. So far under front deck access is #1. I always tell customers who are building a skiff, if you think you may put a trolling motor on, get the pre-wire plug and battery tray behind the front bulkhead. I also tell them to get a quick release TM mount installed on the deck. Even if it is a while before you get a TM, it is still aesthetically pleasing, doesn't snag fly line, and the manufacturer is the one drilling holes in your deck to install it...not you.

·
Registered
886 Posts
So for me the only big complaint i've had was not having all of the hinge screws through bolted. It was an easy fix on my end but caused a pain.
That's one thing I never would have thought about before my 02 HB. It is so nice to have all the hinges through-bolted.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My pet peeve was sitting on my hatch, I didn’t like moving, then flipping a cushion to open a hatch.

Then I got a skiff where I didn’t have to do this and discovered I really just didn’t like opening hatches.

I’ve spent a lot of time staring into the hatches I’ve owned (past and present) and thinking about what’s in them, turns out I’m mostly reaching for the same small handful of things. I am talking almost daily to a boatbuilder that seems receptive to my ideas for fixing this just for me, if he doesn’t my plan is to punch him in the head.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,044 Posts
Don't know if its possible:
Not having one area that is always wet after washing boat. I will upload pics later.

More on the design side would be a boat that has balance forward/aft with people that have a weight difference 20-30+ lbs.

Wiring that doesn't corrode.

the possibility of a composite poling platform in hopes to get a metal free boat?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Would be more interesting if you all listed the builder associated with the gripe. There may be others that have the same build that have found a fix. Might also help the builder realize there is something that needs to be reworked if a lot of people have the same issue.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
You guys are taking the fun and utility out if the thread by not including the year, make and model...

2001 Maverick HPX Tunnel

I know less material makes a lighter hull but
• Super thin material behind rubrail
• Only one hull drain so there’s always a little water on the port side of the tunnel
• Hatch liners are very thin

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
My pet peeve was sitting on my hatch, I didn’t like moving, then flipping a cushion to open a hatch.

Then I got a skiff where I didn’t have to do this and discovered I really just didn’t like opening hatches.

I’ve spent a lot of time staring into the hatches I’ve owned (past and present) and thinking about what’s in them, turns out I’m mostly reaching for the same small handful of things. I am talking almost daily to a boatbuilder that seems receptive to my ideas for fixing this just for me, if he doesn’t my plan is to punch him in the head.
My waterman came with the flip up cushion. I didnt like having to flip the cushion so went with bolt on cushions. Easy problem to fix.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
You guys are taking the fun and utility out if the thread by not including the year, make and model...

2001 Maverick HPX Tunnel

I know less material makes a lighter hull but
• Super thin material behind rubrail
• Only one hull drain so there’s always a little water on the port side of the tunnel
• Hatch liners are very thin
Oh yeah...
• The rat’s nest wiring under the console
• No rigging tubes, everything just lays on the hull floor
• While on plane water pushes under rubrail and runs into the sponsons that have foam that absorbs water and no way to drain them
• runs too damn skinny, it will get you in a bind and run up on dry land if you don’t watch out

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
Oh yeah...
• The rat’s nest wiring under the console
• No rigging tubes, everything just lays on the hull floor
• While on plane water pushes under rubrail and runs into the sponsons that have foam that absorbs water and no way to drain them
• runs too damn skinny, it will get you in a bind and run up on dry land if you don’t watch out
Beware of Dunham Bay Temptations on negative tide days with water in the 40's. Mac pushes that Mav pretty well through 4 inches of guppy mud while I sip Lites though, so its all good.

Riding the cooler on a HPXT to tempt physics in chop is rough on the lower back. Only complaint.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The open rear bulkhead on my Spear Glades X. Absolutely hated it. Made the entire area under the back deck useless for storage. Solid bulkhead and hatch on top is the only way to go.

Loved having no front deck hatch on either my Spear or BT. But on the BT I always worried about having to access something like the bow eye, or have to remove the tank. Both would have been impossible.

Back to the Spear. I had him install a permanent coffin box. Great place for a passenger to sit, decent storage, grab bar but I missed the wide open deck of my BT tiller. Too much of a space killer.

Sponsons. The BT had them so I never knew anything different. Man did the Spear spin so much better.

30 Etec had a carbon marine tiller extension on it. The tiller handle had slop in it which made it feel like the extension was going to come off in your hand. Also had no tilt and trim and no e-start. That was fine but I had a pretty short platform (24 inches tall). I either had to reach under the platform to pull the rope or lean over the top of the platform. Tilting the motor def involved leaning over the platform. Next motor will have e start and power tilt and trim.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good or bad? The short of it is I don't like cleaning corrosion and brightening up the aluminum.
All of this plus it’s heavy and expensive. I’ve done the math on a tiller pillar, turns out the materials make up maybe 15% of the cost of the finished product, probably not that much though because I’m paying retail for very small lots of raw materials. Historically the prices on custom carbon shit are stupid high, and I’ve heard one complaint that carbon poling platforms flex to much, but I think maybe that’s because the carbon guys are trying to imitate the aluminum guys designs, so they are not playing to their materials strengths, different material/different design. This might be dictated by a fickle consumer who thinks things should look “this way,” if you know what I mean.

I’m positive I can make a casting platform that weighs half as much as my last aluminum platform (a premium $450 model that weighed 13.5lbs) for half the weight and a third of the money. Free labor of course.

Bear in mind, I’m usually wrong about everything, just have to decide how wrong and in which direction.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts