Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fun discussion -- what would you change about your skiff if you had unlimited resources? Obviously you're still limited by the laws of physics, so no crap like "I would hover above the water and go Mach2 with a 9.9hp," but they can still kind of be pipe dreams.

As a (somewhat lame) example, I don't like self-tapping or sheet metal screws. I would like to see everything on a skiff through-bolted. It's a bit of a pipe dream to see on a production skiff since it's a ton of work (in both design and production) with very little perceived reward, but it would still make me happy.

Anyone else have any ideas? Removable sponsons? Buoyant trim tabs?

Let's nerd out some, it's Friday.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
@K3anderson and I have had long conversations about how to design and integrate a self contained cooling system into a casting platform for tarpon season. Something to keep the Seadek surface cool rather than hotter than the surface of the damn sun.

I'm gonna cook an egg on it this summer...seriously...just to prove it can be done.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
938 Posts
@K3anderson and I have had long conversations about how to design and integrate a self contained cooling system into a casting platform for tarpon season. Something to keep the Seadek surface cool rather than hotter than the surface of the damn sun.

I'm gonna cook an egg on it this summer...seriously...just to prove it can be done.
A heater would be nice where I'm at!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just a fun discussion -- what would you change about your skiff if you had unlimited resources? Obviously you're still limited by the laws of physics, so no crap like "I would hover above the water and go Mach2 with a 9.9hp," but they can still kind of be pipe dreams.

As a (somewhat lame) example, I don't like self-tapping or sheet metal screws. I would like to see everything on a skiff through-bolted. It's a bit of a pipe dream to see on a production skiff since it's a ton of work (in both design and production) with very little perceived reward, but it would still make me happy.

Anyone else have any ideas? Removable sponsons? Buoyant trim tabs?

Let's nerd out some, it's Friday.
All Blue Waves are through bolted. (Unless they've changed since 2004.)

·
BBA Counselor
6,896 Posts
Self tappers? Through bolts? Eww. I would do like I am doing and glass everything solid (Decks, console....). The only screws will be used in the rubrails. Bolts still needed for some accessories though.

The only thing I wish they really had was a good jet drive.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
My same 18’ skiff another foot longer with another 2” of freeboard and a little better spray rail design.

Oh yeah and it must weight the same or less than my current skiff.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Self tappers? Through bolts? Eww. I would do like I am doing and glass everything solid (Decks, console....). The only screws will be used in the rubrails. Bolts still needed for some accessories though.

The only thing I wish they really had was a good jet drive.
Definitely agree with you on bonding anything you can. I mostly meant anything not made of fiberglass, from cable management to trim tabs, fuel tank mounting, transducer mounting, push pole holders, etc.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
389 Posts
Without trying to play god and get it to do something not physically possible, I'd swap out my 115 for a 150, remove the jack plate, replace my trolling motor with a new iPilot and add a second PowerPole. I'd also like to have it painted, especially on the topside.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If it had to be “my” boat....

I’d have a 55lbs remote trolling motor, micro jack plate (both totally doable) and the ability to hang a 40hp off the back. A tunnel would be fantastic to have at certain times and places.

Or trade it in for a Willet...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Let me see........115hp, tunnel, Minn Kota iPilot, tied to Humminbird Helix 7..............dang this is starting to sound like my boat.......

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Already through bolted. I would rework transom raising it 3 inches since jackplate is always plus 3 or 4. I would also design and build a jackplate weighing much less. Carbon fiber trim tabs to shed some weight. Redo front deck and have a top access hatch versus bulkhead door. Not much else really. Maybe an Etec 60 since it weighs same as my 50.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
389 Posts
Other than changing it into a early 2000's Guide Tunnel, not a whole lot. I'd get rid of the self draining cockpit and have it drain to the bilge like a normal boat, but that's about it. Oh, and I hate my push pole caddy and I want a Tibor.
What is the reasoning for getting rid of a self draining cockpit?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
What is the reasoning for getting rid of a self draining cockpit?
Pathfinder calls it self draining, I call it self flooding. Basically the cockpit drains to a pair of through hulls on either side of the skiff at the rear bulkhead. You put drain plugs in them because they sit at the waterline when the skiff is at rest. So if water gets in the cockpit, you have the option of letting it sit there, bailing it out with your wife's empty Big Gulp cup, pulling the plugs and letting more water rush in, or getting on plane and pulling the plugs and hoping it drains. It's a horrible design, and really the main complaint I have with the skiff. Other than that, I think it's a great little skiff as long as you don't try to make it do things it wasn't designed for.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Other than changing it into a early 2000's Guide Tunnel, not a whole lot. I'd get rid of the self draining cockpit and have it drain to the bilge like a normal boat, but that's about it. Oh, and I hate my push pole caddy and I want a Tibor.
If you have the V marine caddy I feel bad for you and understand why you want a different one. Very unhappy with mine, I got it rigged now where it's not as bad but when you pay that kind of money, for something that small, that only has one job, it's frustrating.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
If you have the V marine caddy I feel bad for you and understand why you want a different one. Very unhappy with mine, I got it rigged now where it's not as bad but when you pay that kind of money, for something that small, that only has one job, it's frustrating.
Worse...I have the Moonlighter one

1 - 20 of 67 Posts