Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
Eh, I think we beat it to death pretty good the last few years.

Highlights:
- it has very little to do with the environment
- it serves as a big advertisement for the builders
- they won't tell you exactly what the expenses are, or how the money goes to, well, anything
- teams are hand picked so it's a closed race, despite more willing to join in
- chittum guys will talk smack
- they all cheat by blasting through the NMZ's
- the trackers they use don't work half the time, and the other half the site goes down

What did I miss guys?

·
Registered
679 Posts
What a joke and correct me if I'm wrong...

But last I heard, it's near impossible to get a Cayo,,, skiff. Took my neighbor almost a year to get his 180. And they've been really busy developing their offshore cat, but they have time to speed around the coast of Florida?

Key West and Sea Pro don't really market their boats as skiffs, but more as entry level bay boats. I've been on both and haven't seen someone pole one around here.

I don't know anything about Canyon Bay or Angler Pro, but they look nice.

Yellowfin and Hells Bay... We all know where that rabbit hole leads to!

And like FC said, how much money gets donated? And how much goes to FL water quality and not a new office for an organization?

Can't wait to see who wins because I will definitely be putting my deposit down on the winning overpriced boat, um skiff! Did I offend everyone yet? If so, what did I win?

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
Eh, I think we beat it to death pretty good the last few years.

Highlights:
- it has very little to do with the environment
- it serves as a big advertisement for the builders
- they won't tell you exactly what the expenses are, or how the money goes to, well, anything
- teams are hand picked so it's a closed race, despite more willing to join in
- chittum guys will talk smack
- they all cheat by blasting through the NMZ's
- the trackers they use don't work half the time, and the other half the site goes down

What did I miss guys?
Panga will break around Bradenton.

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
Ok, so even if chittum doesn't enter they will still talk smack.

Now I know we like our polling skiffs here, but a "skiff" is just a small light boat that requires little power. They aren't necessarily made for skinny waters. We in florida just automatically associate then that way. That said, we can predict the winner will be one of the 2 main teams listed above.

I wish panga could hang in longer.

BB I tried to enter years ago when I was feeling froggy. Now I just want to fish, lol.

Betting on NMZ's? Well if you'll be the bookie and set up the odds...... but it's a sure bet they all do it again.

·
Registered
424 Posts
1.Regardless of whether or not you like it there will be a thread 10 plus pages about it with everyone following
2.Technically you could race in it just not as a “valid” entry. Imo this team would get a lot of advertising even if not “officially” in it.

To point number 2 I would love to see a microskiff team put something together for this. Cost split and organization it really wouldn’t be too expensive. (Assuming not “officially” entered.). Guess it comes down to who wants to put 30 plus hours on their skiff ;)

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
Between the 5k entry fee, and associated costs, I'm sure each team is out at least 10-15k by the end of it all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can anyone help fill in the blanks on past winners? I believe this all started back in 2015? Were HB and YF the original 2 participants? Someone help with history.

Winners:
2015 - ?
2016 - ?
2017 - Hell’s Bay
2018 - Hell’s Bay
2019 - Yellowfin

I know theres a lot of hate from this event. I think its a lot of fun to follow along and a great challenge for the competitors!

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
Can anyone help fill in the blanks on past winners? I believe this all started back in 2015? Were HB and YF the original 2 participants? Someone help with history.

Winners:
2015 - ?
2016 - ?
2017 - Hell’s Bay
2018 - Hell’s Bay
2019 - Yellowfin

I know theres a lot of hate from this event. I think its a lot of fun to follow along and a great challenge for the competitors!
The first few "events" were not races if I remember. They were simply single boat challenges on much shorter routes. I think it started in '14 or '15 with yellowfin.

And yes we all bash it, while enjoying watching it. It's akin to watching and major sport these days, while bitching about players attitude and them being crybabies....

1 - 20 of 73 Posts