Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys had a thought/question about camping off a skiff. Trying to plan a camping trip in the near future but also avoid bringing my actual tent has anybody ever heard of those bow canopies or little half shade tents that would maybe fit on the front of a polling skiff that way I wouldn’t have to bring a full-size tent and all the extra gear that comes with it basically just something to keep the weather off and mosquitoes at bay?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Something I have been thinking of is having my push pole supported by the poling platform and my grab bar on my cooler on the bow and drape a tarp over that maybe? I would imagine a sheet of house wrap tyvek would be cheap and light.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
There are many small open sailboats rigged for overnight camping. You can search them for some ideas. I know I would have to give my skiff a good cleaning ,after a day of fishing, before I would want to sleep in it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Friend and I camped in his vantage for 4days 3 nights. He slept across back in front of poling platform, I slept up front under casting platform.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Eagles nest outfitter hammocks are another compact option (hammock, bug net and tarp)

I don’t feel a tent takes up that much room. Camping stuff for boat stays in storage bin and I set in back behind me in front of poling platform.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I am building a PVC skeleton for a 1548 to stretch a cover over ...

Looking to get screens / Zippers sewn in ...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya the more I think about it a tent really doesn’t take up any extra room I guess I was just thinking more along the lines of sleeping on the front deck vs setting up a tent on the beach. Honestly so long as it’s a bit chilly I’ll prob be fine just sleeping in a bag so long as the winter skeeters don’t find me!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've done that before on the Cape Romano flats and the Indian River spoil islands-had a 17 Whaler Supersport with a gunnel to gunnel rear bench. Used an IV pole with hook to suspend mosquito netting over the bench,kept bugs out and dew off. Comfortable enough for a solo night and didn't have to worry about tide,currents or wind leaving me stranded on a beach.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I once brought a tent that could cover my cockpit. I cut out the bottom making flaps and just used plastic clamps to hold tent on to the gunnels. Not for a rainy night as water would still get to the deck but for bugs and dew it was perfect.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Big thing you have to worry about is dew. I carry a roll of visquine and like mrbacklash said, drape it over the poling-platform-supported push pole to make an A frame. Not totally sealed for bugs but it’ll keep the dew off you so you don’t wake up soaking wet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I’ve done this a lot. Like mrba klash said earlier I tie my pushpole off on a front cleat and then down to the platform and stretch a tarp across it making a tent. Then it folds up in a small bundle under. The deck when done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts