Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Brandon, FL
9,650 Posts
OK, here is what I see and this is only my opinion.

I see a very sluggish boat being driven around. I am not sure if it has a properly sized motor or not because I do not know what size it is rated for. Assuming it is properly sized the boat is lethargic and he visibly slows down to turn. In some of the passing shots you can see him at full throttle and the boat does not appear nimble.

With that said if I were in the market for a twin hull boat that size I would be looking at other boats including pontoons, not this boat.

Then to add to the issue, you are wanting to make it longer than it already is. The video shows it being an 18' and you are looking for a 19/20', how much benefit will be derived for the additional expense? Also, the hull you want created will be a one off and if it does not perform satisfactorily you are stuck because the builder did not test and modify the hull before you pulling it home.

WAY too many if's for me - I would pass and I am basing my opinion from the video alone. I am not passing judgement on the quality of construction nor the finish of the boat.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
OK, here is what I see and this is only my opinion.

I see a very sluggish boat being driven around. I am not sure if it has a properly sized motor or not because I do not know what size it is rated for. Assuming it is properly sized the boat is lethargic and he visibly slows down to turn. In some of the passing shots you can see him at full throttle and the boat does not appear nimble.
Exactly what I told the builder.

With that said if I were in the market for a twin hull boat that size I would be looking at other boats including pontoons, not this boat.
I was thinking that but not sure a regular pontoon would even act as well as this unless I had to get w/their max HP $$ and I'm just toying w/the idea.
If I can get ti for a song and a dance, you know, next to nothing since it has been sitting and he sold it already and kept the note/made his money, well it might be a good one to toy with and experiment etc.

Then to add to the issue, you are wanting to make it longer than it already is. The video shows it being an 18' and you are looking for a 19/20', how much benefit will be derived for the additional expense? Also, the hull you want created will be a one off and if it does not perform satisfactorily you are stuck because the builder did not test and modify the hull before you pulling it home.
Just thinking out loud on the length extension thinking it might help, but the mold was bought and the old MFG did build these in 16' and 18', so it MIGHT be tried and tested and this new builder didn't know the HP ???? = Guessing?? I asked him what the HP is for the Cat and waiting reply.
I didn't notice a JPLate and that might have something to do w/it.

WAY too many if's for me - I would pass and I am basing my opinion from the video alone. I am not passing judgement on the quality of construction nor the finish of the boat.
Agreed, that is why I wanted those in the post to look at it.
Maybe on thew cheap might try it.
We will see what he says when he replies.
Thanks

Reactions: DuckNut

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok I'll look, never owned a Cat and might not either.
Thanks again,

21 - 24 of 24 Posts