Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by a boat place I saw while heading back from Cape Coral , Fl and took a look at a Skiff mold and a old Cat 17’ he built 17 yrs ago that is just sitting from a customer that don’t finish his last few payments (the dealer did try earnestly to help the guy but).
-He said the Cat 17’ was a Shoel Cat mold he bought.
-So it took some pics and just wanted to post them.
-He said the Cat is more stable than the Skiff 17’ and rides better.
-He said while running you can get skinner w/the Cat.
-He said the Cat is about an inch less in beam.
-Very interesting hulls and my wife likes the Cat hull and I like the Skiff hull.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really want that cat hull.
He said it was damaged.
I asked him how much if he fixed it up for me.
He said to involved but I doubt it.
He just wanted to sell a new boat.
My wife really likes the cat hull.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,655 Posts
He said it was damaged.
It probably has lateral cracks in the hull where the sponsons meet the center.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It probably has lateral cracks in the hull where the sponsons meet the center.
Ya agreed.
If my wife really wants this then gussets would be a good idea.
I still like the other mold but very curious about the Cat.
Never owned a Cat and wondering how she would handle/run (flats/Bay etc).

·
Registered
14 Posts
He said it was damaged.
if only I wasn’t in New England, I Would most likely be knocking on his shop doors daily.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if only I wasn’t in New England, I Would most likely be knocking on his shop doors daily.
Ya but a 17' kind of plows in the water w/a 60hp from what I saw.
His is rated for a 70hp.
Not much surface area to float, hence the Skiff 17' is my better option w/a 90hp = 46-50mph depending on load/prop.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Sarasota Boat Works, Siesta?
Oh sorry, Yes.
If you don't mind, and if you talk to Brian, please mention that JB from Palm Harbor mentioned his company.
I don't get ant money, just a nice guy and wanted him to know I'm helping spread the word.
4week build time he told me, but he can't get motors or trailers yet.
He is working up a few things for me as we speak and deck configurations etc.
The boat in the video is the hull posted in the first pic.

·
Brandon, FL
9,670 Posts
Never owned a Cat and wondering how she would handle/run (flats/Bay etc).
Seem like the cat's are leading the way in the off shore racing scene. They are a better riding boat in every scenario - except floating shallow at rest.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seem like the cat's are leading the way in the off shore racing scene. They are a better riding boat in every scenario - except floating shallow at rest.
Yes and I contacted him about some changes to his Cat mold/boat that he should look at but not sure he can do it, and if he could, then I would go w/his Cat.
I think when he bought the mold he made and sold a boat and,,,,,But that is a wild guess.
He had a 60hp on the Cat in a video and just looked like it was plowing w/the stern.
The bow would stay up w/one person and never really get on plane.
Maybe move the motor up 2’ like a beaver tail or, but what do I know?
Maybe more HP 70 or 90 but then again he would have to beef it up in the rear and gusset the toons I would think.
Well he asked my opinion and I told him.
I also told him I’m no boat builder etc, and if he could make some changes on paper etc I would consider his Cat. This was last night in our eMailing each other.
Great guy and would be a sweet boat.
He does offer a 20’ but by the time you put a motor (high HP) on it and all the cost goes way up.
Anyway he asked what I didn’t like about the Cat so I told him.
might work out?
P.S. I think he said static float was 10”??

Reactions: DuckNut

·
Brandon, FL
9,670 Posts
Look at all the offshore cats, they can't even see over the bow.

If your looking for a cat style, look at a Pathfinder 17 tunnel. Those will run skinny and get on plane in a boats length.

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail Skiffs B2
89 Posts
Thoughts on that cat:

I highly doubt it rides skinnier or drafts less than any flat bottom 17’ boat. Less wetted surface/displacement = more draft at rest. Also cats are slow to turn so don’t expect to be whipping it through creeks. that being said I guarantee you it rides way better through chop. I think for power you are gonna always have trouble running a single engine on a cat hull due to extreme turbulence coming through the tunnel. Would require a really grippy prop and your speed might suffer. Could be sick if you can somehow set it up with twins (twin 50’s/70’s????) would be fast and stable. Gas tank in the front, no real need for trim tabs due to twin motors independently tilting.

I’ve been waiting for a slick mini cat to be done and this one has some agreeable lines and outfitted correctly, could be the ticket.

if it’s got bad cracks/structural issues, your better off flipping it over and building a mold off of it. Give it some more flare and beef those spray rails for a drier ride while your at it.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look at all the offshore cats, they can't even see over the bow.

If your looking for a cat style, look at a Pathfinder 17 tunnel. Those will run skinny and get on plane in a boats length.
Ok thanks. I’ll check into it.
Now that you bring it up the Cats do ride high.
When I get home I’ll have to post a video of his Cat17. Just doesn’t seem to have the power to pull out of the plow if you will.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thoughts on that cat:

I highly doubt it rides skinnier or drafts less than any flat bottom 17’ boat. Less wetted surface/displacement = more draft at rest. Also cats are slow to turn so don’t expect to be whipping it through creeks. that being said I guarantee you it rides way better through chop. I think for power you are gonna always have trouble running a single engine on a cat hull due to extreme turbulence coming through the tunnel. Would require a really grippy prop and your speed might suffer. Could be sick if you can somehow set it up with twins (twin 50’s/70’s????) would be fast and stable. Gas tank in the front, no real need for trim tabs due to twin motors independently tilting.

I’ve been waiting for a slick mini cat to be done and this one has some agreeable lines and outfitted correctly, could be the ticket.

if it’s got bad cracks/structural issues, your better off flipping it over and building a mold off of it. Give it some more flare and beef those spray rails for a drier ride while your at it.
Yes that would be sick have twins but the weight might need bigger toons on it.
I did send him my thoughts and will ask him if he can modify the mold for twins or?
Not really gonna is it in creeks etc as I have my Yacht for that.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I talked to the builder and mentioned twin outboards.
He said he would have to do the math but can be done (he thinks).
Personally, if it were 20' it would be nice, but 17', I wonder what size twins to go with?
I wonder if some of you talented glassers could cut the back toons off and lengthen the Cat to 19'/20', OR, at least add some flotation pods for a little help in the engine's weight dept but then agin not really needed I guess while static.
Also, if sticking to a single outboard, I wonder if trim tabs would help (See video/60hp). Maybe he didn't have it trimmed right?
If I were to get this Cat, then I at least want to put a 70 or 75 on it (w/jackplate) due to just seeing the performance w/the 60hp at WOT.
If memory serves, it's a old Sheol Cat mold he bought.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts