Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any opinions or real world experience anyone has with these. Would be very interested in hearing about the Bote Aero Rover vs the Rover as well. Basically I want to find something that can travel with us on our sport fish when down in the islands (no Davit) and be used on the flats down there as well as a running around tender. From what I have heard the skanu won't really be able to hold two people? Looks like the Salt marsh can but its getting on the large side to try to store and move. The Aero Rovers have my attention because obviously it would be easy to store them but the inflatable part has me concerned about stability and lack of options as far as mounting accessories compared to the rover. I know these will be one person crafts, I have one of the original Bote HD paddle boards, I would hope the rover is much more stable than that with a motor on it. Skanu looks like a good option but something that size would really like the option to put two people in there which I don't think will happen.

Open to any other input but these are the options I have come down to now. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am interest in the Rover Aero also...as a multipurpose craft.
  • Haul on my skiff, then inflate and extend my range into the no motor zones of ENP.
  • Flyfishing platform to float trout streams.
Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, I'll weigh in on a dead thread. May start a thread on mine, just got it yesterday, got it wet today. Took the wife and dog out, pretty slow with 3. Power is a Johnson 2 stroke 8 hp (54#).

Very quick, not too twitchy solo. Best setup was tackle rack on front receivers to hold, seated on Engle 30 with cushion strapped to rear d loops right in front of rear receiver mounts. Proposed a little solo, but there wasn't a sweet spot that was just shy of that and if I didn't hit waves it really stretched out nice. Crappy minnkota troller extension is the only weak link, trying to buy one from a member here but he hasn't checked back yet.

I go thru a lot of boats; this is specifically a travel rig for when we pull the toy hauler on vaca and I can't tow a boat as well but want to fish. To test that theory, used the bed extender on the pickup and it worked great. If my wife hadn't been there I would have just left the motor on, tilted all the way up.

I've had a Boardworks Badfish ISUP, a native watercraft SUP/yak, still have a citizens generic ISUP. For what I do, inflatables can't be beat. I think it I should be excellent for what it is and could make a great tender, for example.

If I had to take buddy up big current, I'd try my bigger Johnson smoker but it goes great on a lake with the smaller motor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry; that's 'porpoised' and there is in fact a very nice one up sweet spot planing ride that can be a little hard to hit and hold with waves.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd also say that long paddles would be slow, and drifting for trout likely to be a goat rodeo solo. If I used the Aero for rivers, it would be to float-to-wade, likely spey, or to switch off with a buddy. Flyfishing solo would get pretty busy

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looking for any opinions or real world experience anyone has with these. Would be very interested in hearing about the Bote Aero Rover vs the Rover as well. Basically I want to find something that can travel with us on our sport fish when down in the islands (no Davit) and be used on the flats down there as well as a running around tender. From what I have heard the skanu won't really be able to hold two people? Looks like the Salt marsh can but its getting on the large side to try to store and move. The Aero Rovers have my attention because obviously it would be easy to store them but the inflatable part has me concerned about stability and lack of options as far as mounting accessories compared to the rover. I know these will be one person crafts, I have one of the original Bote HD paddle boards, I would hope the rover is much more stable than that with a motor on it. Skanu looks like a good option but something that size would really like the option to put two people in there which I don't think will happen.

Open to any other input but these are the options I have come down to now. Thanks
SKANU can fish two
2/540 lbs.

·
Paddling away...
6,492 Posts
The Salt Marsh Savanna looks big to the eye, but it's really not. However, we fish two on it with no problems. GPS'd it at 24MPH with the 15 Tohatsu.

Reactions: Rollbar

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey, paint it black - on that rig, I'd be tempted to hang my 74# 15 hp. As long as there was no whisky throttle, do you think that'd work? I have a rockhopper on that motor and my 8 hp is undefended. Nice boat!

Craig

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have owned a BOTE ROVER AERO for 3 weeks and love it. Super stable. Can step on the edge getting in. It won’t tip. I have a Suzuki 6hp and with just me still doing motor breakin I have had it to 16mph on gps. I’m guessing 18mph after breakin. Just put navigation lights on yesterday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts