• Xtreme

Votes: 3 11.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

Just wanted to get some feedback. I recently put a deposit down on a 2014 HB Pro but it's coming without a push-pole. I've decided to get a better pole than the old glass pole I had with my last boat.

My gut is telling me to get a 22' Guide/Xtreme from STIFFY, but can anyone convince me otherwise? Any reason to go with a 24' over the 22'? Any reason NOT to go with a 22' pole? For size purposes, the trailer tongue to tip of motor skeg on trailer is about 22', so obviously a 24' pole would overhand about 4 feet in back (not ideal on the road) and the 22' would overhang about 2 feet, assuming I leave two feet from pole to truck to allow for turns.

My assessment:

- 24' would be nice on the water, but too long to trailer comfortably.
- 20' seems a bit too short for the cases when I am pushing in 4-6' of water, and doesn't allow for enough hand-over-hand
- 22' seems like a happy medium

As far as Guide versus Xtreme - I've discovered I'll be dropping a lot on a pole, and therefore I might as well pay the extra hundred or so to get the Xtreme over the Guide.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, fellas.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Gentlemen,

Just wanted to get some feedback. I recently put a deposit down on a 2014 HB Pro but it's coming without a push-pole. I've decided to get a better pole than the old glass pole I had with my last boat.

My gut is telling me to get a 22' Guide/Xtreme from STIFFY, but can anyone convince me otherwise? Any reason to go with a 24' over the 22'? Any reason NOT to go with a 22' pole? For size purposes, the trailer tongue to tip of motor skeg on trailer is about 22', so obviously a 24' pole would overhand about 4 feet in back (not ideal on the road) and the 22' would overhang about 2 feet, assuming I leave two feet from pole to truck to allow for turns.

My assessment:

- 20' seems a bit too short for the cases when I am pushing in 4-6' of water, and doesn't allow for enough hand-over-hand

As far as Guide versus Xtreme - I've discovered I'll be dropping a lot on a pole, and therefore I might as well pay the extra hundred or so to get the Xtreme over the Guide.

If you pole beach side in deep water get the 24 otherwise get the 22... just my 2 cents

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,874 Posts
I have a 21' stiffy extreme and I plan on being buried with it. As far as length goes, Bluwave hit the nail on the head with regards to length. However, that being said if you have the storage capacity, I say get the 24' and just use caution when parking, trailering, etc. I say 24' only because the weight difference is minimal and a longer pole means less pushes on the flats and you are able to pole in deeper water when necessary. Either way....you will love that pole.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,399 Posts
22 seems good. The carbon or graphite only poled are nice and light but they float. Get a hybrid that might solve it

·
I Love microskiff.com!
110 Posts
We use a Stiffy Guide 22' with our HB 18 and 16 with excellent results. We pole in the shallows (5 1/2" to 24"), only crossing deeper waters
occasionally (3'to 6'). When we pole the deeper flats, we wish the pole was a little longer. In fact, a little longer would not hurt us, even on the shallows.
The only issue with the longer pole would be the awkwardness of trailering and transporting it. The Extreme seems to be the ultimate in push poles.
I have tried one. They are a little smaller in diameter than the Guide, a little lighter,and a little easier to break (Hearsay). I am not sure how the smaller
diameter relates to hand fatigue. That may depend on the size of your hand. As for the breakage issue, that may not be a problem with a well designed,
lightweight poling skiff like yours, because you are less likely to over stress the pole.
If you have a jackplate and therefore a higher platform, you might consider the longer pole. I would recommend a 23' length in that case.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I went to a 24' and I will never go back.
Its less work over the course of a day.
It trailers fine, just cut off four inches of a red pool noodle and slip it over the end for increased visibility by other motorist.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
110 Posts
I went to a 24' and I will never go back.
Its less work over the course of a day.
It trailers fine, just cut off four inches of a red pool noodle and slip it over the end for increased visibility by other motorist.
Red pool noodle! And I've been tying multiple strands of dayglo surveyors tape to the end, which ends up blowing off eventually.
Brilliant!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,446 Posts
Gentlemen,

My assessment:

I have a Professional and a 21' Stiffy Guide Hell's Bay Edition push pole. I'm selling it to get a 23' Carbon Marine G3. I think it's the best pole made today, and I need the extra 2'. It really depends on how you fish--depth of water, etc. Longer pole means fewer pushes in shallow water and makes it a lot easier fishing tarpon in deeper water, etc. I'd go with a 23'.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Gentlemen,

My assessment:

I vote for the 24...I pole a 16 Waterman with a custom 22'6" pole and wish I had even that extra 1 1/2 feet now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
129 Posts
Boat length +4' is a good standard, add 1' if you have a tall platform or pole deep water. If you use the pole to stake out, go for the guide. The extreme can break if you stake out with it. My next pole will be a 23' or 24' guide. I love the extreme, but don't trust them staking with the pole. Also, look at the skiff gear foot from carbon marine.

·
The redfish whisperer!
508 Posts
Carbon marine G3LR 23ft best push pole on the market hands down. Also backed by the best customer service in the industry. I sold my stiffy push pole and never looked back. Joe is the man.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
334 Posts
24. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Beachside you definitely need it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
194 Posts
I had a Gheenoe classic and when I sold it to my friend he used the push pole from his hells bay Neptune. It stuck off the back about 7' for tie a little red towel to the end and it was fine. It would bounce but wasn't too bad

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,290 Posts
The Pro is too heavy for the extreme in wind or current. Kevin Shaw(Stiffy) would tell you that. The extreme is more flexible and you end up wasting energy. The best push poles would be as stiff as possible without breaking. I have used both. I am in Texas but one of the best guides in the Carolinas uses a guide series stiffy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts