Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you’re thinking of getting the Sirius XM marine system then don’t. It’s useless at every level. I really fancied the idea of satellite weather updates and plots of precipitation. I’m regularly fishing the flats in the Gulf of Florida; I’m out of range of mobile cover and dealing with rapidly moving thunderstorms, lightning and waterspouts. So I invested in a new display unit, a Simrad GO7 XSR, as the service wasn’t compatible with the Humminbird Solix 10 I already had. In addition I needed a special unit to receive the signal. Total cost well over $1000, plus a not insignificant monthly fee. However I thought it’d be worth it for the extra information and the safety it would provide. I was wrong.

Firstly what they don’t tell you is that the resolution of the precipitation plot is very low. Not the kind of data that one is used to from weather radar. I think it’s 4km square resolution. I’m not actually sure as the bigger probIem is that I could never get the data to download in a couple of months owning the unit! The whole system crashes so regularly that the reality is it hardly ever works. I got wind data a few times, but mostly it just doesn’t work. It seems like they don’t have the bandwidth. As a result it drops out and crashes all the time, as well as being very crude, slow and limited.

However I’m guessing what the problem is as the bigger problem is that the support is nonexistent. Literally! If you phone the number Sirius XM give you they eventually tell you they don’t provide support. Yes, their website says “call our Marine Customer Care team at 1 855 796 9847 with service or hardware questions”. I did several times and they were useless. The usual line of check the signal strength and run updates. This isn’t as easy as it sounds as you need both a satellite signal and a wifi signal. At home my house blocks the satellite. At the dock I don’t have wifi. But then when everything is updated they can’t do any more. Now they say they don’t provide support, and to try Simrad. Hello guys - I’m paying you not Simrad. It’s your service, not Simrad’s! So much for “customer care”. In the end they just seem unconcerned it doesn’t work and are certainly unable to do anything about it.

In the end the one thing that Sirius XM could do is cancel my account and give me a refund. That’s something I suppose, but I’m left with thousand of dollars worth of gear I can’t use.They were only too happy to cancel my account, which is nice in a way; but just seems to show how little they care about customers.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
I don't have a radio yet on my boat, but my buddies do and I'm thinking about installing one this year. His uses a bluetooth connection or cord to his phone that will play his Pandora or Spotify channel. I think that would be the best setup for me. I don't listen to radio anymore and I thought Sirius was a thing of the past now that these other music apps have come onto the scene.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts