Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently there is a 300-400 rebate on the Lowrance HDS Live units with transducer. The Simrad has no rebate right now. The base price of the 12" units are $3099.99 with the Lowrance including active imaging transducer at same price.
So basically the Simrad would cost about $600 more with transducer, is it worth it for the additional button to control screen selection?

·
Registered
109 Posts
To me the answer was yes, both the dial and the screen clarity on the Simrad was better. If you can, go visit a WestMarine and play with their machines. You will be able to tell. Better yet, bring your nav chip and plug it in to actually see how it will look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went and checked them both out as suggested. To me screen clarity between both 12" models is close , at least to my eyes. Probably go with the Lowrance and save the $600. New models will be out in 6 months or sooner. I am sure technology will change in a few years and will want the latest model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
S for saltwater = Simrad
L for lakes = Lowrance
Why do you think that?
I could maybe see that for an offshore type boat.
But they are basicly both manufactured by same company.
Lowrance has a little better processor, simrad has slightly better screen
Different knob configurations.
I had to go with the Lowrance ecause they are so close just a but Lowrance had a $600 savings at the moment or provably would have got the Simrad.
New Simrad will be out in a few months then always will wish i waited

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
I own both and I like them both. They are both excellent units and it comes down to personal preference to what kind of deal you can get. I really like the rotary knob on my Simrad and I think the menu layout is a little more intuitive on the Simrad but I have no issues with my HDS7 g2. I just prefer using buttons over touch screen and I also got my NSS7 on sale.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
482 Posts
Why do you think that?
I could maybe see that for an offshore type boat.
But they are basicly both manufactured by same company.
Lowrance has a little better processor, simrad has slightly better screen
Different knob configurations.
I had to go with the Lowrance ecause they are so close just a but Lowrance had a $600 savings at the moment or provably would have got the Simrad.
New Simrad will be out in a few months then always will wish i waited
I think you have answered your own questions which is just fine. No harm no foul.

Personally I own both. L on my bass rig, S on my flats...

BTW I had a Ray on my previous flats boat it sucked big time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably would have got the Simrad also which of the knob layout. At the time the Lowrance has a rebate and also included the active 3 in 1 transducer.
The new generation NSS EVO3 to be released will probably have some more technology that I'll wish I had.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts