Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Egrets, you are saying get the 3 in 1? Assume there is only one option for the 3 in 1, and thats off the back of the boat?
I spoke to Simrad yesterday, and they said after I mentioned the 3 in 1 was that it was a common choice. I gained zero knowledge or little confidence from the call.
You said you wanted Structure Scan. It is virtually identical in size and physical characteristics and mounting requirements vs 3 in 1 but with much diminished performance. Who would recommend it that had your best interest in mind vs. blowing out the old outdated inventory? There is zero reason to get structure scan. If you want nothing on the transom then both will not work and you will not have any side scanning ability leaving only straight depth and temp with the in hull option.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
278 Posts
I am trying to find the right transducer combo. I emailed Simrad and finally got a response. I want a regular sonar for shoot through the hull and then side scan down scan off the transom (only because it has to be). The Simrad tech told me to get the 50/200hz transom skimmer with temp for in hull and then the Structure scan for the fancy imaging. Since I am almost always fishing in water 2' or less the Structure scan is pretty useless. I just like it the handful of times I am actually in deep water.
That response from Simrad does not make much sense. A shoot through will not give you temperature. For shallow water, best transducers are high CHIRP. Like others have said go with a 3 in 1 instead of StructureScan. I was able to mount my 3 in 1 on a flat part of my hull instead of hanging it off of the transom where it is more prone to interfere with fishing line, getting wacked and keeping the mount in adjustment. Your results may vary - need a flat spot on the hull to direct mount the 3 in 1 or create a wedge to make it level side-to side and front to back.
3in1 2.jpg
3in1.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,186 Posts
That response from Simrad does not make much sense. A shoot through will not give you temperature. For shallow water, best transducers are high CHIRP. Like others have said go with a 3 in 1 instead of StructureScan. I was able to mount my 3 in 1 on a flat part of my hull instead of hanging it off of the transom where it is more prone to interfere with fishing line, getting wacked and keeping the mount in adjustment. Your results may vary - need a flat spot on the hull to direct mount the 3 in 1 or create a wedge to make it level side-to side and front to back.
View attachment 111944 View attachment 111946
I have the same set up in my Vantage currently and it works just fine. The fiberglass hull is a very poor insulator so it transmits the temp very easily. While I might not get 0.1 degree accuracy, I don't need that kind of accuracy. I agree that the 3 in 1 is the better transducer with better technology, just not for my application.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Read it all. Apoligize for highjacking thread, as I originally read this looking for best deal on NSS9. Going to order NSS9, put some thought into transducer, and prob post a thread about transducers for Simrad NSS's.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,186 Posts
Two quick updates. I decided to get the SS60 thru hull transducer 50/200hz with temp.
Took about 3 weeks to get my rebate approved, now just waiting on them to mail it out.

Reactions: Sublime

·
will pole for food
889 Posts
I hear chatter that these rebates are being offered because Simrad is about to release the next generation units, which will have the faster quad core processors that Lowrance currently runs. Anyone hear that too?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,186 Posts
I hear chatter that these rebates are being offered because Simrad is about to release the next generation units, which will have the faster quad core processors that Lowrance currently runs. Anyone hear that too?
Yes, I have heard the same. For how I'm using mine, I don't need a super fast processor with all kinds of gee-whiz tech features. If I was running FMT and/or using side scan HD imaging features that require a lot of processor power I might have considered waiting. I use a Navionics+ chip, run in less than 6' of water, and mostly use my MFD as instrument displays since I don't have any actual gauges.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any idea when the new units will be out? The research I’ve done it seems people have been saying this for months and nothing yet.

i want to get a evo 3 9 inch but hate to pull the trigger and then come out with a better version. Just wish I knew if the display was better or not. I’m using it for fmt. This 5 inch screen the boat came with is not cutting it at all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Miami Boat show is next week. They will all be down there. I'll see if I can get an updated read. Last I heard it would be April for EVO3s release. I thought it would be this month after the show.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,186 Posts
The Miami Boat show is next week. They will all be down there. I'll see if I can get an updated read. Last I heard it would be April for EVO3s release. I thought it would be this month after the show.
Thanks Egret. Even though I've already bought mine, I'd like to see what improvements they are making. Looking forward to your reports.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
The 3 in 1 is flush mounted (not on a bracket) to the outside of the hull. The H/W CHIRP in is hull.
Thank you for the feedback! Are you happy with your in hull performance and if so what model is it? Using currently a Garmin and looking to change

·
I Love microskiff.com!
278 Posts
It’s an Airmar M285HW. Not an inexpensive transducer. The HW will give you the most shallow water coverage of any transducer type for downscan. It’s the best transducer I’ve had on boats I’ve owned. You can get HWs for in and thru hull applications. My Maverick HPXV 18 and my previous Maverick have pockets on the inside of the hull specifically for mounting an in hull transducer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am learning somwthing. Are you referring to the cup shaped depressions on the hull? My current in hull is not mounted into one of them but the bilge pump area. One of these depressions has the water intake for the live well and the other one is not used.
Checked the transducer and it seems pretty big at 10vlbs. not sure I can fit it in. But it looks solid

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes.
I had to remove some live well plumbing and reinstall it after I mounted the transducer. It's tight but it fit on my HPXV 18.
Hi - I did install the M285HW after we had this thread going and it has been a really good move. It takes quite a bit of space down there and the team who installed it had to actually expand the area to make it fit and relocate the bilge. The plumbing was good though. that thing has worked great but ... recently my HDS Live 9 stopped recognizing it. It is set up on channel 2 and I can see the name of the sonar but it is greyed out and when I try to reconfigure it, the M285HW does not show up on the list of available Sonar. Have you had any issues with yours?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
278 Posts
Hi - I did install the M285HW after we had this thread going and it has been a really good move. It takes quite a bit of space down there and the team who installed it had to actually expand the area to make it fit and relocate the bilge. The plumbing was good though. that thing has worked great but ... recently my HDS Live 9 stopped recognizing it. It is set up on channel 2 and I can see the name of the sonar but it is greyed out and when I try to reconfigure it, the M285HW does not show up on the list of available Sonar. Have you had any issues with yours?
No problems here. I'd check the cabling. There is very likely an adapter cable with a connection other than the connection direct to the HDS. Also, make sure none of the liquid (typically anitifreeze) has leaked out of the transducer mount. May also try reinstalling using the HDS transducer installation process.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks .... what do you mean by the last statement on hds install procedure? Is there a way to check the liquid without removing the unit? I have regular water in the bilge area when I clean the boat that I vacuum so if it is gone, I might not know :) . Good call on the adapter. Let me check that.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
278 Posts
Check your HDS manual or download one from Lowrance and go over the transducer installation procedure within the manual.

Have to take the top off of the transducer to see if there is liquid inside. If you do so make sure to reinstall exactly as you took it off since it needs to align based on deadrise angle of the hull where the transducer is installed. If there is ANY chance of freezing do not use water to refill.

Might want to check with the "team" who installed the transducer for you.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts