Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. Simrad now has rebates on the NSS EVO3 series. If you are in the market for a new MFD now's the time. I wouldn't worry too much about what differences the next series will have over the EVO3. For us skiff users they have already covered the features we need.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts! I have been aware of rebates on NSS EVO3 but have been struggling to decide whether to purchase current model or wait until new one out. Pretty much had decided to go ahead w/ current model & take rebate, but your message "seals the deal"! Makes alot of sense to me. Plus, alot of good reviews on current model & w/ anything "new & improved", always the chance for problems w/ "first out of box" stuff.

Reactions: ifsteve

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,184 Posts
NSS7 evo3 has a $200 rebate. I'll be getting mine on the next triple points day at West Marine. I'd like the 9" but not for an additional $1000.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Understand, I would like to save the $1000 also!. BUT As your eyes (and body) get older, you find that you have to start paying more 1) to keep yourself safe and 2) to be able to focus & see "the small print"! :)

Reactions: BobGee

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started with an 7" NSS7, went to an 8" NSS and now with an 9" EVO3. Night and day difference between a 7 and a 9. And the older you are the bigger the difference! Much also depends on the water you are running. If you run small canals and winding creeks then the bigger the screen the better.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
NSS7 evo3 has a $200 rebate. I'll be getting mine on the next triple points day at West Marine. I'd like the 9" but not for an additional $1000.
I think this is one of those areas where you just have to say "Buy Once, Cry Once" because IMHO it really is good to have the bigger screen.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,184 Posts
I think this is one of those areas where you just have to say "Buy Once, Cry Once" because IMHO it really is good to have the bigger screen.
I thought about it but I where I fish, I just don't really need the extra view, I just would like it. I also am considering the GO9 with the OP50 remote knob and buttons. Together the GO9 and the remote are less expensive than the NSS9. We'll see what I end up choosing, I don't have to send it to East Cape for rigging until April-ish.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I thought about it but I where I fish, I just don't really need the extra view, I just would like it. I also am considering the GO9 with the OP50 remote knob and buttons. Together the GO9 and the remote are less expensive than the NSS9. We'll see what I end up choosing, I don't have to send it to East Cape for rigging until April-ish.
try mine before you buy, the 9" is really nice, very glad I did it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Screen size is like other things. Like motors, and, well other things.
Nobody ever wished they had smaller.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
I went for a ride on a Chittum with a 9" Simrad and we were running around in some twisty patches of marsh, I can guarantee that bigger display was nice to have. I always thought the 7" was "good enough" but seeing that 9" display really sold me. Actually the whole boat package kinda blew me away but that's another story... =)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
278 Posts
Just a heads up. Simrad now has rebates on the NSS EVO3 series. If you are in the market for a new MFD now's the time. I wouldn't worry too much about what differences the next series will have over the EVO3. For us skiff users they have already covered the features we need.
Looks like no rebate now but the prices have been lowered by up to $500. Better than waiting for a rebate!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,184 Posts
I submitted my rebate form for $200 from Simrad and also get $155 from West Marine since I bought it on Triple points day. That will easily pay for my transducer and Navionics chip.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like no rebate now but the prices have been lowered by up to $500. Better than waiting for a rebate!
I'm looking at the Simrad web page for the NSS9 evo3, and list price is 1,999. Thought this was the price when the rebate was going? Is the 1,999 price the 'new lower price' as a blurb on page states?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,184 Posts
I'm looking at the Simrad web page for the NSS9 evo3, and list price is 1,999. Thought this was the price when the rebate was going? Is the 1,999 price the 'new lower price' as a blurb on page states?
NSS9 evo3 was priced $2299 when I bought my NSS7 a few weeks ago so that is $300 off. The 7 is not discounted, but I still get my $200 rebate from Simrad

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Jay. Thats the info I needed. Was just about to call West Marine to inquire. Now, to figure out the transducer part of things, but thats another thread.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,184 Posts
Thanks Jay. Thats the info I needed. Was just about to call West Marine to inquire. Now, to figure out the transducer part of things, but thats another thread.
I am trying to find the right transducer combo. I emailed Simrad and finally got a response. I want a regular sonar for shoot through the hull and then side scan down scan off the transom (only because it has to be). The Simrad tech told me to get the 50/200hz transom skimmer with temp for in hull and then the Structure scan for the fancy imaging. Since I am almost always fishing in water 2' or less the Structure scan is pretty useless. I just like it the handful of times I am actually in deep water.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am trying to find the right transducer combo. I emailed Simrad and finally got a response. I want a regular sonar for shoot through the hull and then side scan down scan off the transom (only because it has to be). The Simrad tech told me to get the 50/200hz transom skimmer with temp for in hull and then the Structure scan for the fancy imaging. Since I am almost always fishing in water 2' or less the Structure scan is pretty useless. I just like it the handful of times I am actually in deep water.
Structure Scan? Any Tech recommending that over 3 in 1 is ignorant or doing you no favors. That is recommending old equipment with inferior performance. Nevertheless, installing either one with a shoot thru the hull for any reason other than a second back up makes no sense at all since the both do everything the in hull option does.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Egrets, you are saying get the 3 in 1? Assume there is only one option for the 3 in 1, and thats off the back of the boat?
I spoke to Simrad yesterday, and they said after I mentioned the 3 in 1 was that it was a common choice. I gained zero knowledge or little confidence from the call.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts