Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I jumped on the West Marine deal for the Simrad Nss12 Evo3 and purchased the FMT to go along with it. I own a Cayo 173 which currently has a Simrad Go unit flush mounted in the console. My plan is to mount the new Simrad on top of the console (NOT flush mounting) for easier viewing and use while removing the old Go Unit (either just cover hole or put in a mini storage box). The decision that I cannot make is what is my best option:

1. Should I use the mounting bracket that came with the unit and just put it directly on top of the console? - I tested this last night to see how it would work and the viewing height and angle are just about perfect. If so how do I cover the area where the wires will come through the top to prevent water from getting inside the console?
2. Should I get a mount like the BalzOut mounts and attached that to a cover that I put over the old units hole left in the console?

I am leaning towards the Simrad Mounting Bracket as it looks nice, fits well on top of the console, and has a great viewing height/angle while at the wheel and on the poling platform. I am open to these or even other options that I probably haven't thought of. Any help or advice is much appreciated; if anyone has similar close up pictures of how they mounted their units that would help a ton!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Light angles will change throughout the day, and viewing the screen may require you to change the angle of the unit. Go with your gut and use the bracket. Flush mounting looks great, but you’ll still want to see the screen in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely won't flush mount (not enough room and I don't like the flush mount of old unit). I just don't know if I use the bracket that came with the new unit or get a different bracket like the the Balzout mounts? After that I gotta figure out the best way to install whichever bracket so it looks somewhat clean.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
535 Posts
One of the biggest advantages to the Balzout mount is the ability to turn the mount slightly to face you while running or to completely swivel the unit to see it from the bow of the boat if fishing from the trolling motor (I did this a lot while trout fishing or fishing structure.) The Simrad unit may let you swivel, but not sure? The disadvantages to the Balzout, at least in my case, is that the mount is kind of bulky and a little awkward. In retrospect, i should have gotten the smallest (shortest arm) they make. It also does not look as clean IMO. A small storage box in place of your flush mount would be pretty sweet, but I would also think about using both units, your Go for depth, especially if it will read at speed. But I also realize I fish a bit more broadly than a lot of guys on here; I'll pole flats, fish jetties on the trolling motor, troll offshore for kings and bottom fish for snapper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@finbully That looks great! The pictures are just what I was looking for and I like the locks you have on it. The cables look nice with the cover plate on it. Did you do anything to seal hole under the cover plate?

@crl.wms Thanks for the pics and info. For you that seems like a good setup, but since I have the center console it gives me enough room to mount right to the top.

@windblows Seeing the unit from the bow would definitely have it's advantages, especially if spent a lot of time on the bow. Most of the time I am up on the poling platform so it wouldn't help me out quite as much. The Simrad mount does not allow it to swivel unless you took it off and put it on facing the other direction. I was curious if the Balzout mount was bulky as it did look that way from some pictures I saw, but on cal.wms pic above it doesn't look quite as bulky as other pics. Definitely something to think about in regards to keeping both devices. I spend more time on the flats but I could times where it would be helpful.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
652 Posts
@finbully That looks great! The pictures are just what I was looking for and I like the locks you have on it. The cables look nice with the cover plate on it. Did you do anything to seal hole under the cover plate?
Used a rubber stopper with holes drilled through it, passed the cables through it and pressure fit it into place. Won't leak anymore than anything else affixed to the helm. I presssed some round foam into the gaps of the mounting plate's cover to finish off the installation. BTW - I have a rubber stopper set-up fitted to the bow area with my TM motor power cable passing through. No leaks on 3 boats with this set-up since 2012.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,713 Posts
I'm currently moving my NSS9 Evo3S between the Simrad factory mount on top the console in my Marquesa to/from a Balzout mount on the upper station of my 1/2 tower Aquasport 22-2. Lower station has a flush mount Garmin.

As previously mentioned I like being able to spin my chartplotter around on the Balzout for viewing from the bow of my Aquasport. And I like the low profile of the bail mount in my Marquesa that I can see from the poling platform.

I would go with the Simrad mount on top the console, and leave the GO where it is as a backup GPS, NMEA 2000 engine monitor, Satellite radio, etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I mounted my 12" evo with the factory bracket, but installed the bracket backwards so that the wires come out of the front of the mount.Then I put a grab bar in front of it. I tilt it up when I'm standing.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Asphalt Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering Naval architecture

Product Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Machine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Redlig That came out nice and clean. I like how you ran the cables up and off to the side.

@MariettaMike Thanks for the advice! It seems like leaving the GO unit might be a good option I wasn't thinking about.

@bababouy I was thinking about putting the cover on backwards and wondered how it would function and look; thanks for the pics. I'm curious how thick your console is on top? Did you use through bolts and washers to attach the bracket or did you put some time of reinforcement under the console and screw into that as well? I also really like the access panel you added on the side (might be another project I add into this one or do down the road).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts