Simrad Go7 ?

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by Jfack, Feb 15, 2016.

1. FSUDrew99

FSUDrew99 Well-Known Member

I've had my Simrad GO7 for over a year and it has been a great unit. Can't beat it for the price.

Heather likes this.
  2. Egrets Landing

Egrets Landing Well-Known Member

What do your personal contacts say they find so appealing about the Garmin unit? Are they actual users who run around inshore? Or do they run large boats out in the blue water where the inshore experience is zero? Or do they just like the Garmin in their Car and assume the marine product would be good?

Here is the bottom line - I speak with dozens of Garmin users each month who all run around various FL locations. They all call me for the same reason. They hate their Garmin. The reason is not so much about the unit itself but the map that runs in it. For Florida where you are, Garmin has the worst maps and worst imagery in the market. It is just the way it is and it has been this way for a very long time. It's not opinion either. It is a fact that can be easily demonstrated with hard examples. Do a search on Google about it. Seems almost everyone finds their Garmin maps showing them running on land or in the trees when they are floating in 5' of water. It's a problem for most because there are no other mapping options you can get for the Garmin. So if you get that for your husband and then you start hearing in a few weeks, "the map is horrible and there is no other options I can get - we need to switch it out" don't be surprised. It's probably going to happen.

You are best advised to not shop units first. Shop the maps first. Once you get that right, then choose the unit that will run it. Crappy map = crappy utility = unhappy husband. If you are running around Sarasota Bay FMT has the best map hands down. See the face book page for the latest screen shots.

If your rig is smaller and not a large offshore rig with lots of protection from the elements, the Simrad Go series is not something I recommend as it is touch screen only. If it rains or the screen gets wet the response can be trouble and it can occur right at the most inopportune time. Look at the Lowrance Elite Ti which is touch screen but also with buttons and more affordable overall than the HDS and Carbon Lowrance units and much less than the Simrad NSS series. Also, bigger screens with adjustable mounts are best.

3. FWTXCW

FWTXCW Active Member

Needing this kind of direction...I'm looking for a gps unit to help run around the TX coast. Not sure I need depth or fish finder, just good maps.

Might be a dumb question, but can I/should I use without a transducer?

4. FSUDrew99

I don't use my transducer much but it is nice if you're curious about fishing structure in some areas.

I use the navionics platinum plus chip for my simrad and love it. It's like a google earth map and pretty damn accurate at that. There are other mapping systems that are good too or possibly even better.

5. Heather

Heather Member

If your rig is smaller and not a large offshore rig with lots of protection from the elements, the Simrad Go series is not something I recommend as it is touch screen only. If it rains or the screen gets wet the response can be trouble and it can occur right at the most inopportune time. Look at the Lowrance Elite Ti which is touch screen but also with buttons and more affordable overall than the HDS and Carbon Lowrance units and much less than the Simrad NSS series. Also, bigger screens with adjustable mounts are best.[/QUOTE]
    Mr. Ingman told me Garmin as did his staff and my dad is a captain who uses it offshore (I won't be offshore). I'm in Venice. They say Garmin is easier to use and Ingman staff told me less problems.... said lots of ppl had issues with Simrad. I want Navionics not just Simrad..... I am butt hurt over this!!! I need to decide tomorrow if I am going to switch.... went today and agreed with their input of Garmin 7607xsv I believe..... not too sure about the decision, they have me at $1800 now.

6. FSUDrew99

Mr. Ingman told me Garmin as did his staff and my dad is a captain who uses it offshore (I won't be offshore). I'm in Venice. They say Garmin is easier to use and Ingman staff told me less problems.... said lots of ppl had issues with Simrad. I want Navionics not just Simrad..... I am butt hurt over this!!! I need to decide tomorrow if I am going to switch.... went today and agreed with their input of Garmin 7607xsv I believe..... not too sure about the decision, they have me at $1800 now.[/QUOTE]

So you mean to tell me that you are going to pay $1600 for the same touch screen style unit like the Simrad I have when my whole setup with transducer ran me $650 with 5 years warranty..... that's crazy. If it gets wet it's not that big of a deal as he screen moves with you and I doubt you'll be touching it all the time in the rain anyways.

My simrad has been flawless. I just find it crazy to buy the same size touch screen unit for over double the price.

7. Egrets Landing

You cant run Navionics on Garmin. So if you want that, Garmin is disqualified. But you are well advised to do further research on that. Google: best Florida map chip. If you are running inshore around the Venice area, Garmin has the worst map you can get - end of story. It is just a fact of boating life. Garmin fans in Florida are virtually all offshore boaters. All of the maps work pretty well offshore. The shortcomings of the Garmin maps are not on their radar at all as they never run around in the shallow areas outside of main marked channels. So they don't know what they don't know.

There is no substantive advantage of one mfg. over another with respect to ease of use. The newer units are all easy to use once you get familiar with their various interfaces. The differences are all very minor. The biggest difference between all of the manufacturers in terms of actual use on the water running around inshore and what you see on the screen is the map you are staring at all day. If the unit you get does not support the map that works for you, you are out of luck.

8. Egrets Landing

"Mr. Ingman told me Garmin as did his staff and my dad is a captain who uses it offshore (I won't be offshore). I'm in Venice. They say Garmin is easier to use and Ingman staff told me less problems.... said lots of ppl had issues with Simrad. I want Navionics not just Simrad..... I am butt hurt over this!!! I need to decide tomorrow if I am going to switch.... went today and agreed with their input of Garmin 7607xsv I believe..... not too sure about the decision, they have me at $1800 now.

I am sorry. This advise you posted above is very misguided and if you follow it you are guaranteed to be very unhappy. That is the sad truth. The fact they are recommending Garmin when you were looking to run Navionics which does not even run on the platform is very indicative of their expertise in this area as well.

FSUDrew99 likes this.
  9. RobA

RobA Well-Known Member

I think Garmin has the best stock maps of any gps and I run in SW Florida and the everglades. I say that as someone that currently has a lowrance and a raymarine on different boats, and that just bought a simrad to replace the raymarine. When I had Garmins, I never considered getting a chip because the maps were accurate and easy to read.

10. FSUDrew99

I wouldn't run any map if it wasn't satellite overlay. Idc if it's navionics or standard mapping etc etc. The satellite imaging is hard to beat. If you're offshore nbd switch it to standard or run the dual depth finder screen.

If you don't like the touch screen of the simrad step up a unit to the one with the knob and touch screen cabilities. Or go Lowrance still made by Simrad and vise versa.

Ray marine has always had a bad rap from everyone I've talked to on not being user friendly.

11. Egrets Landing

If you like it that's what counts but I am sure you know you are part of dwindling minority for good reason. Here are a few internet forum posts from inshore boaters off of several boards similar to this one I collected over the last year or so regarding Garmin Maps for FL:

[​IMG] Garmin blows in the Keys ... I am buying a Simrad soon just to use FMT charts ... I can’t tell you how many times I am smack in the middle of a channel and my Garmin shows me out on the middle of a flat. The backcountry part of the Garmin charts are horrible.

[​IMG] I got FMT earlier this year after seeing the FL Sportsman Article about it. Seemed a little pricey at first but It's amazing and now that I have run with it it's more than worth the cost. I don't know how they did it. They must have like an army of boating people or something taking gps notes all over. Ridiculously accurate and the navigation details you can see is incredible. Blows Navionics and my old Garmin maps away. You won't be disappointed.

[​IMG] We have been running FMT on a Simrad Evo2 for the last few months. All I can say is wow! The charts are simply amazing and the tracks are dead on. You can get a 4 yr old to navigate from Islamorada to Flamingo. The chip and the customer service is second to none. Garmin, Navionics, etc. have nothing close to this kind of detail. Even the soundings 20 miles off shore are accurate. Simply an awesome product.

[​IMG] It’s tough to beat the marine tracks deal. Seen complete newbies jump in behind the wheel in the Everglades and not only make it out alive, but without impacting the resource. My first time out into the park, barely made it to the end of the channel. Garmin missed the boat by not being compatible with this chip.

[​IMG] I bought the FMT chip in 2015 and FMT exchanged it for the new updated one last year. I live in Maryland and fish the keys every year. I now fish areas I would never have gone to without the chip. I used to have a Garmin and there chart wasn't bad for Fl. bay but the stock Lowrance sucked. The FMT is in a league of it's own. Well worth the price, don't leave the dock without it.

[​IMG] We have been running FMT on a Simrad Evo2 for the last few months. All I can say is wow! The charts are simply amazing and the tracks are dead on. You can get a 4 yr old to navigate from Islamorada to Flamingo. The chip and the customer service is second to none. Garmin, Navionics, etc. have nothing close to this kind of detail. Even the soundings 20 miles off shore are accurate. Simply an awesome product.

[​IMG] Lowrance HDS-9 Gen3. Love FMT. Can’t imagine a plotter without it. Used a few other options prior and no comparison. Getting ready to buy the north Florida chip.

[​IMG] I am considering switching to a Simrad or Lowrance unit so I can use Florida Marine Tracks. The Garmin has been great but seriously lacks map detail in skinny water and often shows you on land when you are not.

[​IMG] Look at getting a Simrad or a Lowrance. Then add " Florida Marine Tracks - Florida-South Chip". I haven't seen anything with better map imaging.

[​IMG] You will never get what you are looking for in SFL with the Navionics chip unless you use it offshore. I had that on my Raymarine. I used to have the Garmin and their map was worse. The photos are poor and/or missing and inshore you can't navigate well with it unless you are in marked channels or ICW. So if you want all of the options to get from US1 to Flamingo, the Navionics will provide little to no practical insight. That is the untold truth with Navionics despite all the testominals you see from the paid TV endorsers on the fishing shows -- you can't navigate with it if you don’t know where you are going. For those that are very familiar it works a little better but as overall basic guide at best. If you are totally unfamiliar you could never figure out SFL with that product. That is just the truth. I tried and gave up. The app does not provide any more info and totally impractical for an open skiff. You need a chart plotter with a bright screen that is secure and can run the map that provides the detail you need.

[​IMG] Garmin has the worst mapping and detail on satellite imagery for FL.

[​IMG] Navionics is better than Garmin but the FMT charting and imagery is by far the best hands down for FL.

[​IMG] I bought the early release for S. Florida because the Keys section was done, and to tell the truth, it was so good, I wasn't even going to get it updated (for free by the way for the early release version). But after I talked with them I was convinced to send it back for the update. They made some more improvements to the Keys section as well as finishing up the northern section. Turnaround time was 4 work days from mailing. The overlay photography just blows everything else away. It doesn't take long to get used to all the options either. I've got mine on a Simrad 12 which has a fast processor and a quick scrolling/selector knob. There are a huge number of options for the overlays, but that's what I like, so I can get rid of the clutter I don't need at the time, but have quick access to it if and when I do want it. And it's not like you to have to re-set it every trip anyhow unless you want to change something from the last setup.Those tracks in the screenshots posted above narrow way down as you zoom in so during normal use they are visable, but not distracting in the least. And if you don't want them - just turn them off. With his chip, the only things that show are what you want to show. It ain't like the Garmin chip when every time you move the view you get an annoying banner telling you all about the everglades that you can't shut off.The better the GPS the better the imagery, and it is really, really good.

[​IMG] FMT is the most accurate and up to date satellite imagery available to FL boaters. I own a Navionics Platinum chip and it's satellite imagery is outdated junk compared to the FMT.

mangoman likes this.
  12. Snoball

Snoball Active Member

Got a go9 and FMT and it’s the best I’ve seen. I rarely use the saved tracks on the map now I trust the sat overlay and it’s accuracy. You can see all the natural deeper cuts and bars making navigating in rough spots ez.

mangoman and FSUDrew99 like this.
  13. vantagefish

vantagefish I Love microskiff.com!

I fish all over biscayne, flamingo, the keys. I got my boat in 2014 and put a Garmin unit on it. Bad decision. I rely on my old tracks to get me around otherwise it’s a paperweight. One of these days I’ll cough up the $$$ and get a simrad unit

FSUDrew99 likes this.