Simrad GO7 losing depth reading

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by Heat_PCB, May 16, 2018 at 8:11 PM.

1. Heat_PCB

Heat_PCB Well-Known Member

Anything to troubleshoot for this?

Initially started losing depth at speed, now it's all but gone, even at idle. Fish finder still works and reads depth in that mode but structure scan doesn't seem to return correctly either. When on the chart view with the instrument panel up on right side that reads speed and track direction, the depth mostly stays blank now, and that is when I really need depth up, when running into the flats.

Transducer is located on the inboard side of the starboard sponson. It's in the water on plane as well as at idle.

2. Mike C

Mike C Well-Known Member

Mine loses depth at times also.
    I can usually get it straightened out by switching to downscan and then back to side scan.
    Happens mostly at 3.5' and less.

I hope they fix the map. They have Hwy 41 (Tamiami Trail) listed as Hwy 45. I don't wanna get lost driving home.... ;^)

Heat_PCB likes this.

3. Mike C

Mike C Well-Known Member

BTW, make sure your xducer is tight and not vibrating. That can cause reception issues.
    No, I don't have any first hand experience on this one. :)

4. Heat_PCB

Heat_PCB Well-Known Member

I'll check for a loose fitting, it has gradually gotten worse, so that may explain it.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 11:25 PM
  5. TimR

TimR Well-Known Member

My GO9 does the exact same thing. My transducer seemed to have a lot of slop even though the through bolt was tight, so I called the MFR and they sent me another bracket setup. Swapped it out but still no joy! Now I have it cranked down as tight as I can get it without possibly cracking the actual transducer, it has helped but I still lose the signal on plane. I have double and triple checked the transducer height to the bottom of the boat as well as tried different angles on it, but still the same issue. Not sure if it is the GO9 unit itself or the transducer, but it drives me crazy!

Heat_PCB likes this.
  6. Forcefed

Forcefed Well-Known Member

Have you guys ever thought of setting up your transducer as shoot thru? Pretty easy to test, place the ducer in a gallon ziplock filled with water and stick it in the bilge where you would like to mount it. Go fish and note performance. If acceptable, google search the various ways to secure the transducer for shoot thru applications and enjoy not having a transducer being bolted outside the hull. If it doesn’t work, empty the bag and continue about your business as usual.

7. Mike C

Mike C Well-Known Member

Can't do that with the Totalscan xducer.

I imagined that the big total scan unit would cause a huge rooster tail. The di/si unit from that POS Humminbird made a big rooster.
    The Total scan xducer doesn't cause any rooster at all.
    Happy camper

Heat_PCB likes this.