Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Hey y’all, I’m in line to get one built. I’ve never had any boat built before or have never bought a new boat so I have a question. I was on the website earlier today and realize that they raised the price on the complete package from $22,000 to$24,000. I put my deposit down before this change so does this new price l affect me or am I still going to be paying the original $22,000. Does everyone in line currently now have to pay an extra $2000? Is this just the way things work? I have no idea how this works, and I just wanted some clarification.
shouldn't you be asking the builder this question?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Couple things here to add in from my time using all the above.
All resin types come in many different formulas to work best with different cloth weaves.
Basic polyester resin used with basics glass cloth has been the bench mark of the fiberglass industry since this snot was concocted.
I have built by myself over 50 skiffs, big boats and many many parts using this combination.
My present skiff is made out of basic boatyard resin from 15 years ago. The sailboat I own now was built in 1977 using basic polyester resin and eglass materials. It has been floating in salt water since then with virtually no blisters. Most boats built 20+ years ago were most likely built with basic polyester resin.
My latest Beryllium build I used epoxy resin for the outer hull skin and the rest was built using basic polyester resin because using epoxy resin is just a waste of money.
Vinylester resin has a better molecular property than polyester resin being closer to epoxy resin in its cross linking.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a basic skiff built with polyester resin.
There is so much peer pressure today in using state of the art materials one loses the reality of the basics work just fine.
You take a basic affordable material, and combine it with a state of the art hull shape and you are getting the same performance as a skiff that costs 300% more.
The fish won’t be dissing you though because your skiff is not made of epoxy.
but...what about the magical carbon fiber and epoxy levitating chittum's that go where no man has gone before?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts