Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silver Salmon Kick-Off Alagnak River Fishing Report

We had a day off and got a little silly.

Thank you for reading this Silver Salmon Kick-Off Alagnak River Fishing Report from Katmai Lodge.

Jason with a pink streamer-caught chum salmon.

Chum salmon are still coming, not quite as hard as they were. Bright ones can still be found, though. Pink streamers swung in the current still do the job. And they are still a blast to catch, and delicious smoked.

Charmel got this chum on a Vibrax spinner.

The silvers are still hit or miss. The large numbers of fish that were predicted to move in on last week’s big tides did not. The summer has been historically dry. The river is exceptionally low. Places we caught silvers last year are dry. So whether or not the fish will show up in numbers is anyone’s guess. If they show like we hope they will fishing will be outstanding!

The silver salmon, the beast we await.

With the kings and the chums starting to spawn, trout fishing this week is all about the bead. Find a fine primer on bead fishing at this link: https://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/beads/bead-fishing-201-the-next-level

Even with a leech. adding a bead isn’t a bad plan.

That’s this week’s Silver Salmon Kick-Off Alagnak River Fishing Report from Katmai Lodge. Thanks for reading!

Running by a bluff.

Life is great and I love my work!

Life is short- Go Fishing!

John Kumiski
www.spottedtail.com
http://www.spottedtail.com/blog
www.johnkumiski.com
www.rentafishingbuddy.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jkumiski

All content in this blog, including writing and photos, copyright John Kumiski 2019. All rights are reserved.

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
John,

When I was fishing for salmon/steelhead/trout during the spawn I would use a wooly bugger with an orange head (looks like a bead) and then tried to make my own bead set ups. Through trials I came up with a stupid simple way that has outfished all other bead rigs.

Buy plastic beads in whatever size and color you want and egg hooks. Hold the hook by the bend and heat the shank with a lighter. When it get warm to the touch push the bead on the backside of the hot hook and it will melt in place.

This will be very near the buoyancy of the real eggs and it will leave the gap side open to make a solid hook set. The other benefit is that when the point does not grab and is starting to pull out of their mouth the bead will cause the point to turn around and set.

I have tried it with many different styles of hooks and the plain egg hook with the eye bending back works the best. Red hooks seem to be avoided.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I heard a report on NPR today regarding rivers into Norton Sound having considerable number of dead chum. The only culprit biologists determine is stress from warm waters 70 degrees and above for long periods. While they emphasized that the percentage of dead was in a relative sense small it is a concern with rising temperatures for the future. Are you finding any issues in your area?

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
I heard a report on NPR today regarding rivers into Norton Sound having considerable number of dead chum. The only culprit biologists determine is stress from warm waters 70 degrees and above for long periods. While they emphasized that the percentage of dead was in a relative sense small it is a concern with rising temperatures for the future. Are you finding any issues in your area?
Could it be that the salmon have spawned and hence died as part of their life cycle? Or a global warming scare tactic?

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
I grew up fishing for these fish and they would never start up river until the water temp cooled to the right level.

Also read the article that said there was double the amount of salmon up river than normal.

·
Registered
477 Posts
No question about salmon that make it. The alarming element of the article is that salmon have died prespawn due to high water temps and that thise temps are not the norm. No one wants global warming. No wants red tide.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is one event that explains one particular group of dead salmon. It sounds like, in the first article, they sited "multiple kills in multiple river systems" though. Is Tutka near or part of Norton Sound? I assume that it is. Bottom line, for me, is that the water temperatures are significantly higher than normal for this time of year and there has been an unusually high number of dead fish this summer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the water in the alagnak was exceptionally warm this summer, hitting 70 degrees. hot days without rain will do that. fish were dying as a result.

glaciers are melting. the planet is getting warmer. expect ecosystems to change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts