Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking at a 1997 Silver King 16’3 with a 115 hp engine. Just wondering: how fast will it go with that, how shallow do those boats get when poling, and overall are they a good skiff for the key west area. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I have a 94 Signature Series 16. with a 90 and a very cupped prop I get between 33 and 35 mph. with a 115 and the right prop I would think 40, 97 is a bass pro model likely. check it really well. mine drafts about 9 inches. they are not technical poling skiffs but are good skiffs if you get a good one. are you looking at a Signature or a silver flash?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 94 Signature Series 16. with a 90 and a very cupped prop I get between 33 and 35 mph. with a 115 and the right prop I would think 40, 97 is a bass pro model likely. check it really well. mine drafts about 9 inches. they are not technical poling skiffs but are good skiffs if you get a good one. are you looking at a Signature or a silver flash?
It’s a non bass pro. And it is a flash model

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What's the difference between flash vs signature?

Reactions: kwix

·
I Love microskiff.com!
587 Posts
my buddy had that same boat with a 90 Yamaha and topped out about 40mph
I’d say with a 115 it should do 45-50 depending on prop

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
bass pro bought SilverKing in late 95 and 97 was their 1st year of production in a new facility. having said that I have heard that Mark Scott stayed on for a short while and kept an eye on things. chances are if it's got this far its fine. here is the newspaper article about the sale of the company to bass pro.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
What's the difference between flash vs signature?
flash was a little more affordable. had a storage hatch in the deck. did not have the pocket tunnel and the walkable side gunnels were pieced in , not integral. rear hatches were gravity, not latching and a different layout. may be more I don't know. I think the flash was a bass pro only model but not positive. have not seen a pre 97 flash.

·
Registered
730 Posts
flash was a little more affordable. had a storage hatch in the deck. did not have the pocket tunnel and the walkable side gunnels were pieced in , not integral. rear hatches were gravity, not latching and a different layout. may be more I don't know. I think the flash was a bass pro only model but not positive. have not seen a pre 97 flash.
This is pretty accurate. I had a 92 Flash, the second one built of the Flash. Mine was 16'9" though. Definitely not Bass Pro.

I think you may get to 45mph. I had a 90 Yamaha on mine and before I had all the extras like a trolling motor, batteries, power pole, I had it at 42 on the GPS. After all the stuff 35 was the max.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd love to know what she runs like with the 115.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts