Sillicon Gel

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Charlie, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

Does anyone have any experience with these guys: http://www.silicagelpackets.com/

They llo fine, but ya never know. If you've gotten them from someone else and was happy with them could you tell me who? Thanks!

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Never used them but I have a couple that are in a can (Similar to the one in the pic) in my gun safes.

Every couple months I put them in the oven for a while to "recharge" them and back in service they go.

I don't think it matters who you buy them from because the contents should be the same - only the packaging would be different.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Re: Silica Gel

I buy ammunition in bulk quantities to cut my shooting costs.
    In order to store it long term, I keep it in airtight containers
    and put a package of silica gel in with the ammo.
    I get the silica gel on line from Amazon.com.

4. Charlie

Thanks. They look fine to me, and Norton Wed Safe rates them as a safe site, but I'll check out Amazon too. My main use for them will be in an underwater camera housing to stop fogging and electronic killing humitity.

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

It would work for humidity but fogging is caused by two different temps. Ambient air temp and then suddenly cool down.

Here is a free way to try it. Go to a Payless shoe store and look in the boxes of shoes. Each box has a small packet when shipped and usually taken out by the employee but you can still find many in the boxes. if not as the salesperson.

Worth a try.

6. Charlie

Way ahead of ya ;) it works for fogging because, if placed in the case a decent amour of time prior to diving, it reduces the humidity to such a low level that any condensation you get is neglable. I got some from a fellow diver whose been doing underwater videography for years, but now a need a couple more because the ones I got where cotton cased, and I'm a little worried about recharging cotton.... :eek: