Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my dilemma. I only have a couple friends that can put out an accurate cast. Recently I was fishing with a close buddy of mine. I was on the platform with the push pole, he was on the bow with a spinning rod, a school of slot redfish were tails up at about 10 o clock inside of 30 ft. We watch them. Picture painted. I say they are slowly moving left to right, put it a couple feet in front of them and wait for them to get there and twitch it. He makes his first cast, 20 feet past them and the line falls on their heads. The fish move, he makes his next cast, hits them square in the face. They bolt. The rest of the day proceeds like this. This is just one example and this could apply to the majority of my friends. Putting a fly rod in their hands is like asking a dog to preform surgery.

Now I could get off the platform to trade them spots, but then I'd have to suffer thru their poling. And I don't know if my anxiety could handle that. My wife can outcast most people, including myself, but we have a 5 month old so getting to fish together is rare.

So what do I do? What's the etiquette here? Practice my patience? Let them botch one cast and then make the cast myself from the platform? Get new friends?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,058 Posts
It can be a sticky situation. I have friends who want to learn how to fly cast and so if they're up front and willing to learn I'll work with them.

But I'm not as harsh as @scissorhands - everybody has a bad day or gets buck fever. I don't consider myself a good caster but I am competent and can accurately place a fly the majority of the time. But I won't BS and claim I can drop in a cast at 90-100' and there are plenty of times I've blown a chip shot inside 20'. Hell, those chip shots where the fish all of the sudden shows up 10 feet from the bow are probably the hardest of all IMHO.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
It can be a sticky situation. I have friends who want to learn how to fly cast and so if they're up front and willing to learn I'll work with them.

But I'm not as harsh as @scissorhands - everybody has a bad day or gets buck fever. I don't consider myself a good caster but I am competent and can accurately place a fly the majority of the time. But I won't BS and claim I can drop in a cast at 90-100' and there are plenty of times I've blown a chip shot inside 20'. Hell, those chip shots where the fish all of the sudden shows up 10 feet from the bow are probably the hardest of all IMHO.
Gotta practice that flick cast! Or tenkara.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,821 Posts
Spin gear, maybe give them a little distance. It can be hard to accurately flip out a sub-30' shot if you don't do it often.

I realize you're speaking more in generalities though, so I'd just encourage them to practice on land. I often meet my buddies on lunch break and throw fly rods for 15 min or so at some targets. You can use paper plates or whatever, but I just bought a cheap ring toss set off amazon.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,511 Posts
If you have someone who is willing to put in the effort to improve casting & poling skills, get them on the skiff as much as you can and bring them up to speed.

My wife automatically knows who is texting me most nights. She knows its not another woman...especially when I've been muttering about low / incoming tides while sitting at the vise or have been tying leaders while we watch TV...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
Here is my dilemma. I only have a couple friends that can put out an accurate cast. Recently I was fishing with a close buddy of mine. I was on the platform with the push pole, he was on the bow with a spinning rod, a school of slot redfish were tails up at about 10 o clock inside of 30 ft. We watch them. Picture painted. I say they are slowly moving left to right, put it a couple feet in front of them and wait for them to get there and twitch it. He makes his first cast, 20 feet past them and the line falls on their heads. The fish move, he makes his next cast, hits them square in the face. They bolt. The rest of the day proceeds like this. This is just one example and this could apply to the majority of my friends. Putting a fly rod in their hands is like asking a dog to preform surgery.

Now I could get off the platform to trade them spots, but then I'd have to suffer thru their poling. And I don't know if my anxiety could handle that. My wife can outcast most people, including myself, but we have a 5 month old so getting to fish together is rare.

So what do I do? What's the etiquette here? Practice my patience? Let them botch one cast and then make the cast myself from the platform? Get new friends?
Somewhat common. This forum is a good way to find serious fly rod casters and skiff owners. Also fly shop socials and events plus clients from guiding. I count five skiff owners from this forum I would not have met any other way. All great humans and can cast and push a skiff.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Coaching someone is it's own skillset that's separate from everything else. This is not meant to be a moral high horse statement but I try to invite people based on their enthusiasm rather than their ability. I find hardcore guys difficult to fish with at times but that's a different topic all together.

I'd rather fish with someone who sucks but is thrilled to be out there. At least I can give that person some tools to help themselves . Plus it's no fun to watch a guy who's caught a million redfish catch a million and one. It's way cooler when someone who doesn't get to do it all the time gets to stick a big fish. Otherwise you end up fishing with some dude in a Simms costume that you picked up at a fly shop. He's probably got a pair of hackle pliers on his key chain or some other red flag.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
162 Posts
My wife had fished a few local tournaments with me. She loves fishing for reds but due to kids, work, weather, and everything else. She doesn’t get to go out as much as I do. So prior to the tournament I’ll put the casting platform or cooler on the ground and set up 5 gallon buckets at different distances and angles and have her practice casting until she can hit them all. I have actually started doing it while getting the boat ready if I haven’t been out in a few weeks.

Like they said above. Pick a few that are willing to put the time in to get better and stick with them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Imagine living in DFW and trying to find folks that can cast, match schedules, split cost instead of mooch and pole a skiff. Many have never seen the coast.

My best friend is a ******* that will jerry rig anything he gets his hands on.

I am about done trying. I can’t even find anyone to go catch a carp with here in a fly. I am relegated to fishing alone or croaker soaking. I choose alone.

Also, same issue with wife, she loves spinning gear and being in water but she can’t go as much.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hahahaha, yea, I guess so.

Honestly a half ass caster would be fine. It’s more about overall competence around a boat, poling, learning fly gear items like knots and material. The list goes on.

Just venting, my wife has to hear this all the time so it’s nice to direct it elsewhere. Anyway, first world problems. ;)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nobody learns if they don't get to go. Sure we all want to have a set of top notch fishing buddies that are fun, great fly guys, can pole, know how to help with the skiff, etc, etc, etc. I do not know a single person that has too many friends like that.

If you take them once and they are fun to fish with but they suck then I'd keep taking them. Help them get better. I'd much rather take a fun guy who is struggling to learn than an really good fisherman who is a butt head.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts