Shrimp in Maryland?

Discussion in 'Virginia, Northern East Coast' started by WhiteDog70810, Jul 26, 2013.

1. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

I may be asking a very stupid question, but are there any shrimp in the Chesapeake? It isn't a huge deal, but I was looking forward to using a cast net to catch a few pounds of eating size shrimp. When I looked for the regs for catching them, I couldn't seem to find any. In this day and age I've come to believe if it ain't regulated, it doesn't exist. I am just suprised because I thought shrimp were everywhere to some degree or another.

Nate

2. yeffy

yeffy I Love microskiff.com!

We have grass shrimp. I wouldn't call them eating size but go for it. I've lived here my entire life I've never heard nor seen anyone shrimping in the bay or ocean in md. I don't eat much from the bay anymore anyway, mostly just crabs. Who knows maybe you've found an undiscovered niche in the market

3. WhiteDog70810

From what I've read, grass shrimp aren't worth the effort; too small. I found an article that said that brown, white and pink shrimp all may show up in the bay from time to time, but they do not maintain a constant presence and their presence is not predictable. Oh well, I'll have to think of another way to satisfy my foraging and gathering needs.

Nate

4. yeffy

I was also informed by a friend that cast nets are illegal to use in md portion of the cheasapeake bay. Maryland the free state! Ha!!!!

5. WhiteDog70810

What sort of surreal alternate dimension have I woke up in? Pound nets are legal, but cast nets are bad?

Nate

6. yeffy

Can't take any hickory shad or American shad but it perfectly legal to go out and snag the crap out of them? Never made sense to me but hey maybe I have the warped sense

7. Rosco

Rosco I'm probably sanding something...

Cast nets up to 10ft are legal in Maryland.

8. yeffy

Really? I can't find a regulation at all. Ill look through the book again

9. Rosco

Rosco I'm probably sanding something...

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/regulations/tidalunlawful.html

#5 I've used my 8ft calusa cast net with DNR nearby and I've never had any problems.

10. WhiteDog70810

Good link.

Thanks,

Nate

11. CedarCreek

CedarCreek I Love microskiff.com!

I read an article online today about the Port Tobacco River in southern MD.  The DNR did seine up 34 shrimp (not the grass variety) back in July 2008. This is great, we have a steady stream of redfish around and now shrimp! No need to move south.

12. WhiteDog70810

Any of you all catching anything worth mentioning? I am getting tired of seeing pics of Gulf Coast fish. This is completely off topic, but I started the thread so I can derail it!

Nate

13. CedarCreek

Nate, fished with my buddy from work and my 8 yr old down on the St. Mary's River near the mouth of the Potomac the other day. We were poling the grass beds, catching some weird looks from the local crabbers but caught some small reds, striped bass, and blues. Redfish were busting bait all around the boat but we only managed a few smaller ones. Threw everything we had at them. They corralled schools of small menhaden in the grass and were picking them off. I will attach a pic later. I am bringing the fly rod next time.

14. CedarCreek

Not sure these little guys count as something worth mentioning but it was fun figuring out this poling thing, which is new to me. Hopefully, these guys will show up next year a little bigger. [​IMG]

15. WhiteDog70810

You just made my day. Those little rat reds don't "show up". They were born there... which is absolutely awesome because they should be there until they are 8-12#. The big guys have more conservative tastes like smoke with red fleck, motor oil with red fleck or pearl with black back soft plastics, but those rat reds are picky little brats and will decide they will only eat the most hideous thing in your tackle box on that one particular day. Once you identify that color, you'll fill the boat. The next time you buy baits you'll load up on that hideous thing, but the little twerps will never touch it again.

When they are hitting menhaden on top it is the rare time they might hit topwaters. Try something like a Skitter Pop or a Skitter Walk. It won't always work, but it is awesome when it does. The only "problem" is that reds will miss a topwater most of the time, so you have to not set the hook until you know they have it. I frequently yank topwaters out of their mouths.

Nate

16. yeffy

lots of carp on fly rod, and i heading to mattawomen for snakehead on monday, ill post up pics if i get into a few
    [​IMG]

17. danville_marine

danville_marine I Love microskiff.com!

that's a hog look at the apple in its mouth ..good job

18. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

That beard is awesome
    Nice fish

19. yeffy

Had to trim the beard down its hot up here. It will grow back shortly. No snakehead to report ill be back at it again this week. No rain up here lately. Rivers are looking parched.